“Greek families come here” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Phoenix, Arizona
“Greek families come here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Our good friend is Greek and his family has been coming here for years. And it's obvious when you enter the dining rooms that many of their patrons are Greek. That tells me this is quality, authentic Greek food. One taste will tell you so as well. The menu is extensive. They have a wide variety of Greek wines. Some entrees are better than others, but it's a matter of taste. They have plenty of seafood options, as well as lamb, chicken, etc. Every time we visit Chicago we make a point of eating here or their "Greek Town" location in downtown Chicago.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

TINLEY PARK
“Finest Greek In Chicagoland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Greek Islands is phenominal! I ate here twice in two weeks. The first time was with my best friend. We shared an appetizer of Loukanika, a delicious Greek sausage. Then, we each had a superb Greek salad---the waiter brought me a small plate with nine anchovies. Most Greek restaurants give you only two. The Mediterranean Sea Bass was on special for $20.95. Easily $36.00 Market Price at all of the Greektown restaurants on Halsted Street. It was better than lobster. The server even brings you a small silver gravy bowl with extra lemon sauce. The prices here are so very reasonable. Most wines by the glass are $5.25. Greek salad is $4.95, not $8.50 like in Greektown places.

I took my wife here for our 39th Anniversary on July 1st. We both had the Mediterranean Sea Bass on special. On both occasions, when the host brings you to your table, he walks you right past a cooler in the dining area with a magnificent display of fresh whole Sea Bass neatly arranged in rows, on a big bed of ice. This display is right near the large, elegant bar.

The Saganaki is the tastiest and biggest and cheapest of any Greek place I have ever dined in, including NYC's trendy Upper West Side. My wife had never had char-grilled octopus before---I had to fight her off to get my 15 of the 30 chunks, served in a light vinegar-olive oil sauce. Again, the cheapest price for the largest appetizer portion I ever had. I have been dining in Greektown for forty years---did every restaurant between five and twenty times. This is simply the best!! We shared a Greek salad---this time, the server brought me a small plate with twelve anchovies. I loved them, but I was up all night drinking water.

This is one of the few Greek restaurants where you can order the octopus or smelts as an entree. I shall do both some day. I also cannot wait to try one of the six or seven lamb entrees and specials---so many of the diners were ordering the lamb with artichoke hearts, that my mouth was watering, even as I was devouring my delicious Sea Bass!

Our waiter was George R---one of the best waiters we have ever had anywhere! All of the staff here are super courteous and conscientious. Water glasses are filled every five minutes. More of the chewy, crusty Greek sesame seed bread and butter was brought to the table without even asking. There is even a large bottle of EVOO on each table, for all of you Rachel Ray aficionados! Bread crumbs are immediately scraped off of the table with those "mandatory" little "thingies" that they use at every Greek restaurant. I told George R not to mention anything about it being our anniversary, so he discreetly presented us with a huge slab of some kind of moist Greek spice cake, lit one candle, and quietly sang Happy Anniversary to us. No one in the restaurant even noticed! Nothing beats a complimentary dessert---anywhere!

The ambience is elegant---linens and crystal on the tables---beautiful relaxing murals on the walls featuring small Greek seaside towns. But the two things that stick out most are: #1.) Everyone in the restaurant is smiling and laughing and just having a great time. and #2.) Almost every table had one or two small, well-behaved children, enjoying their "adventuresome" Greek "cuisine"---usually the Gyros platter or the Greek Spaghetti.

This is a fun, inexpensive (compared to Greektown), elegant, family oriented (but also for romantic dining) restaurant with impeccable service, fantastic servers, and the two gentlemen and lady at the front desk are just so frienly and helpful. There is a self-serve coatroom, because I always wear one of my "stingy brim" fedoras, and the parking lot can hold hundreds of cars. The restaurant is easy-access, on 22nd Street, about three miles west of the Oakbrook Mall (right off of IL 83.)

A special "fine-dining" restaurant with supeb cuisine and imported Greek wines and beers, all reasonably priced. And like our server, George R, all of the wait staff give you impeccable service. We spent a leisurely two hours there, lingering over delicious cups of coffee, and that wonderful Anniversary dessert. We live about thirty miles away, but who's counting??

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food bur expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Same great food as always - but it's getting a bit expensive for what you are getting, especially when compared with the local competition in the area. The price raise obviously has an effect on business - what once was a packed restaurant at Lunchtime now was semi dead.
Also, what's with the winepricing? Greek wines that go for $ 8-10 retail are now $28.95.
We'll be back, but just for Lunch, or in the afternoon when they discount.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
South Houston, Texas
“Great Greek Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

An example of why Chicago is called the Second City. When it comes to food in America, we all know that NYC is number one, but the crown of second has to go to Chicago. Greek Islands and it's downtown location are the best Greek food outside of Greece. I think it rivals any Greek I've had in NYC in fact.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“A very enjoyable dining experience and great bang for the buck! The family style dinner is the way to go. For only 21...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

A very enjoyable dining experience and great bang for the buck! The family style dinner is the way to go. For only 21 dollars it includes appetizers, salad, portions of 4 kinds of entrees, dessert and coffee. You cant beat it!! I will definitely eat here again!