You added Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago - Lombard / Oak Brook to your Saves list
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
“Restful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on an overnight mid-week business trip arranged by the company. It was my first stay at an Embassy Suites, and I was pleasantly surprised. In general, I'm not a fan of the atrium concept because it noise usually gets louder the higher up you go. This was an exception, maybe because of the live plants and water features. The suite was very quiet and comfortable, and I good a couple of hours work in.

Went down to the happy hour before our working dinner in the restaurant. The complementary free drink was symbolic at best, but did carry over to dinner. The restaurant menu, part of the bar, offered mainly sandwiches but also had three entrees. Our group of four ordered at least one of each of the three entrees and was very surprised by the high quality of the food. My shrimp scampi was excellent and the house salad and dressing offered more than veggies and taste than most. Service was good, and we were not rushed.

Breakfast the next morning was also a surprise. Guys cooking real eggs, bacon, etc. which were good and a cut above what I had expected. The usual bagels, etc. were also available.

The front lobby area was a little small for the number of folks waiting for shuttles, but we didn't have to wait too long. Overall this was a very good and restful visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel before and continue to recommend it. Staff is nice, very good about arranging transportation to Ohare if you need it. Only reason for a slight ding is that there are no snacks at their happy hour. Get a room as high as possible because a few noisy people at the lower level can make it difficult to sleep.

Room Tip: High Floor due to noise
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am a business traveler for over 10 years and have stayed at so many properties across the country that I've lost count and this is the single worst hotel experience I have ever had! Unfortunately, my family was there with me this time to experience this. First, the evening manager was there to harass me, my wife, and children at every turn - the swimming pool, the atrium, the manager's reception, etc. It wasn't so much the rules that she was enforcing (absolutely no alcohol, even if purchase from the hotel bar, outside of the bar itself, no one under the age of 18 allowed in the hot tub, etc.) but it was the WAY she was enforcing them. Instead of explaining the hotel rules, she would walk by every 2 minutes, lift up anything on your table for inspection, and then demand you leave immediately. We had bought a couple beers from the bar and sat in the atrium so we could see into the pool area while our kids swam, and she was so rude to us that we all just left. At one point during the weekend, the security guard ACTUALLY GRABBED A WATER BOTTLE out of an adult's hand to check for alcohol without asking first! Again, no of us had a problem with the rules, we just had a problem with the rudeness of the manager and how she spoke to me and my kids. Wanting to enjoy the free, all you can eat breakfast Saturday morning? Don't even bother. Apparently, the entire city of Chicago eats there for free because they don't check for meal tickets. As a result, I waited in line for 25 minutes to get a plate of food. Then, I was given 2 pieces of bacon and was told that was the maximum amount. On the first night of our stay, my wife and I were so offended by how the manager was treating everyone at the hotel (several guests were complaining at this point) that I asked for the General Manager's business card so I could lodge a formal complaint. I called and left a courteous message, not asking for anything in return mind you (refunds, extra points, etc.), but rather to just let her know that we didn't appreciate how her manager treated my family. Not a single call back. Not a single acknowledgment that I was an upset customer. Either the General Manager simply doesn't care or she fields too many of these complaint calls to deal with. Either way, I left the weekend completely offended by the hotel staff and will never stay at a Hilton property ever again. I am in the process of filing formal complaints with Hilton corporate with regards to the manager and General Manager. Unless you want to just lock yourself in your room, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS HOTEL! Especially if you have kids! There are much nicer hotels in the Lombard/Oak Brook area to stay at who actually value their customers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dauphin, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Room was much more larger than I expected. The breakfast was very delicious each morning. The view from inside the hotel balconies was very nice. Staff was very courteous and professional at all times. The facility was very convenient to access from multiple areas.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Lombard, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Not bad overall. Its a typical Embassy Suites. Pool is very small. Breakfast experience was awful. Long line and the staff were very slow cleaning up the empty tables and making them available for new diners.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Davenport, Iowa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

THE GOOD:

Embassy Suites are always very neat and clean, but this one is spotless. The staff is constantly cleaning everything to keep it looking excellent. From the lobby to the hallways to the suites everything was perfect. The parking lot was picked up everyday and the landscaping and outside lighting was wonderful. Parking is included in the room price, which is not always the case at an Embassy Suites. They have a water retention pond with a water feature (plus a family of ducks with new borns swimming) Embassy Suites is also known for their employees, and at this location I dealt with 3 different people at the front desk, and all of them were about the best front desk clerks I've encountered. I had a corner room with a wonderful view of the City. One other nice thing was a welcome note on the desk that was personalized with my name on it. I've not seen that at other places.

THE BAD:

Started the day I made reservations. I was connected with someone, maybe in India, who could barely speak english. So I hung up hoping to get someone in the USA that I could understand. No such luck. 2nd person was slightly better, but did not have a good grip on the english language, but I allowed her to make arrangements for me. When the confirmation arrived by email, it was wrong. I called the hotel and asked to speak with the Hotel Manager, and was told she was gone for a week and they would leave a message for her to call me of which she never did to hear my concerns and straighten out my booking problem.

Just a little thing, but at other Embassy Suites when you are a HHonors Member, they usually give you some little treat such as a cookie, a bag of trail mix or some little welcome gift at checkin. They aren't required to, but this hotel does not do that.

Upon arrival, it was about 60 degrees in my suite, and the furnace was not working, so I called to the front desk several times, with no answer, then called the managers office with no answer, and after 3 attempts, the front desk finally did answer. They said they would send up someone to repair it, of which they did. But this guy wanted to make it clear that they had turned on the air conditioning for the year (he referred to it as the chiller) and I didn't feel like I needed to tell him the high was 50 that afternoon and there was a frost warning for that night, so some people might find that too cold. So he got the furnace operating and left. Went to turn on the TV and it wasn't working, so I called the front desk again, and the same guy who fixes the furnaces is also the TV Tech and he takes a look and says "woah, this isn't good, the RED LITE IS ON." He did get it running eventually. I just don't think he needs to be talking to the guests. Come in do your repair and get out.

On Sunday the housekeeper forgot to place the decorative bedspread cover on, which was no big deal, but just one more thing.

Then the restaruant could be described as mediocre at best. This was a multi day stay and I had the opportunity to use it on several occassions. Sunday the meal was perfect, but I sure can't say that for Friday and Saturday. The food was low quality for embassy suites, the prices are high, and the server isn't your typical Embassy Suites employee. Very disappointing. After my bad experience with this, I could not help but notice on room service trays lining the hallways how many people didn't eat what they ordered, which leads me to belive this is a big problem at this property. Why doesn't someone catch on that when people aren't eating what you bring them that it's a problem?

THE UGLY

Usually the complimentary breakfast is good at Embassy Suites, but this is the worst at any hotel I've stayed. First of all, they were late getting started, so there was a line. Then the food wasn't very hot in the steam table. Usually it's a buffet style, but at this one there's a bacon and saussage girl who limits you to either 2 bacon strips or 2 TURKEY SAUSAGE links. Rationing. I would not expect this at an embassy suites. Then they had just pulled the donuts out of the freezer so they were frozen together. They didn't have any OJ as they usually do. Food was aweful. To top it off, the design of the steam table isn't very good. After you get your saussage allotment the server asks you for your "Breakfast Ticket" which everyone had in their wallet from checkin the night before, but there is noplace to set your food tray but the floor. Not well thought out at all.

Then the worst was the guy who was cooking the omlets that looked like a homeless bum. He's got a scrungy unkept mustache and beard with nothing to protect the food from getting his face hair mixed in with what you are about to eat. GROSS.

OVERALL this is a great hotel, but there's some corrections that need to be made.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a little spring break trip with my husband & two young daughters. We had a wonderful time! It's right across the street from Yorktown Mall where there are plenty of great shops & restaurants. Without traffic you could get to downtown Chicago in about 20-25 minutes. The rooms were very clean & comfortable. The whole first floor has a tropical theme to it with lots of exotic plants and flowing streams throughout. We would sit by the water during the manager reception and drink our free cocktails! The free breakfast is always great too.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago - Lombard / Oak Brook? Share your experiences!