“second time here” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Lombard
Boston
“second time here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Convenient location, free parking. Good prices.
Rooms are big and clean, and there are connecting suites available.
4 adults and 3 children had enough space in 2 connecting rooms.
Breakfast was good, happy hours drinks are so-so. Pool was always full.
A little bit far from downtown.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed over part of the christmas holidays. The hotel was clean and conveniently located with access to wide variety of restaurants, shopping, and expressways for easy traveling. the manager's reception was crowded, but selection was good. The breakfast was good, but not great. It was the weekend after the holidays which may have limited some of the selections and freshness, but it's hard to complain about free. The internet charges are annoying and each device is charged, so be careful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
St. Louis MO USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Greetings, TA friends :)

Our family of five (kids are 9, 11 and 13) spent 3 nights at this hotel beginning on December 26th. We were up from St. Louis to visit the MSI and Field museums, and dine on Lou Malnati's thick crust pizza.

The hotel is situated in an entertainment and shopping district. There's a big indoor mall across the street (Yorktown, I believe), an AMC IMAX multiplex theater, a Claim Jumper restaurant, a Super Target, a McDonald's, a Hooter's and just about everything else imaginable within a 2-minute drive. Many, many of these attractions and restaurants would be within easy walking distance during good weather.

Parking is copious, clean, well-lit and FREE as befits a suburban hotel. Access from the I-88 tollway was easy, and it was just as easy to get back on the big road for our daily trip to the city.

The hotel staff was EXCELLENT. Everyone from the front office manager to the breakfast chefs are friendly and attentive. Particular kudos to Sarah at the front desk, who was very happy to answer a chain of questions that we threw at her during check-in.

The atrium was outstanding, big and open and impressive to behold with little footpaths and nice waterfalls everywhere. It was holiday time, and we enjoyed the Christmas decorations which seemed to be everywhere --- including a big, lit tree. Everything was spotless. The lighting could've been more natural, but perhaps this is just a nit -- then again, if you're spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on interior landscaping, why not put it in the best light possible?

We took a corner king suite, said to be a bit larger than the regular suites. While I never saw the inside of a regular suite, our corner king was perfectly sized for our needs. We rotated one kid per night on the bed while the other two used air mattresses and sleeping bags. Mom and dad got the king bedroom because rank hath its privileges :) The big king bed and pillows were plenty comfortable, and the sofa bed in the front room looked nice (but I never tried it). The suite came with two HD TVs, plenty of lamps and electrical outlets for charging our handheld electronics, a microwave and small fridge. I can't comment on the shower because I always replace the flow-controlled hotel shower head with one I bring from home.

Breakfast is simply outstanding. One omelet per customer, thank you, but you can have as much bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes and yummy pancakes as you can cram in your belly between 6 and 9am (10:30 on Saturday and Sunday). In addition to the hot foods, there were many bagels and doughnuts, a variety of cereals, a hot oatmeal buffet, juices, milk and soda. We ate enough every morning to carry us well into the afternoon.

The pool was clear and the temperature was perfect. Lots of kids, but, what else would you expect at an Embassy?

The hot tub was clean, very warm and not at all frothy. HOWEVER, the other guests and their children didn't abide by age restriction (16). Truthfully, I didn't either, but ..... to a "T", these other guests would sit on the other side of the pool from the tub, sometimes with their backs to their children, leaving them to be supervised by strangers. I'd run the children out of the tub, telling them to come back with their parents -- I was on vacation from my job as a childcare provider, you see, kids? :) Thankfully, the parents got the message and didn't appear to be offended. I think the hotel could head this one off at the pass if they sent a front desk manager through the pool facility every hour.

Late one evening, I used the only phone in the pool facility - a clearly marked red 'emergency' phone -with the intention of alerting the front desk that the supply of guest towels had run out. Surprisingly, the phone was dead. This is a safety problem, no? I brought it to the attention of management, but never followed up. Note to future guests: Check the phone to see if it is working, you don't want to find out that it's not working when you need it the most.

Our price paid was $104/night after AAA discount and before taxes. WORTH EVERY PENNY. I recommend you stay here the next time you're in the west suburbs. You'll likely love it :)

Room Tip: If the pool is your thing, try to get a room on the 2nd floor. There's a carpeted atrium stairw...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Woodridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I spent a girls night out with a couple of girlfriends and we stayed at The Embassy Suites. The hotel was clean and close to shopping and restaurants. The reception with complimentary drinks was a very nice touch. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was great. Made to order omelets, pancakes, oatmeal, hash browns, bacon, sausage, etc, more then enought to eat. My only complaints would be that we had 2 full size beds rather then queen size and you have to walk by the lobby to get to the pool., plus you can see the pool from the area where the reception was.

Room Tip: Ask for queen or king size beds.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel allowed me the luxury of a nice hotel stay with my pet. Not only did they make us feel at home, they even made sure to greet and include my pet. They treated him like family, just the way I feel about my pet. That was icing on the cake. As for the rooms, they were very well kept, the grounds were up to date. The pool and hot tub were clean and the excercise room larger than some other hotels. Breakfast is included and much more than I expected. You were able to get eggs made to order, pancakes, bacon, hashbrowns, cereals, donuts, coffee etc. They have a happy hour, with a variety of wines, beers, liquors. They serve ghiradelli hot chocolate in the lobby, and the shuttle bus will take you and pick you up within a nearby radius with no issue. The hotel is situated in the middle of a busy shopping area filled with great restaurants and shopping. You can take the shuttle and never once have to move your car once you arrive. The staff was super friendly and really made the stay pleasant. I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Naperville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My parents booked a room for me to get dressed in the day of my wedding, and also for my new husband and I to stay in that night. To begin with, when my mom and I arrived at the Embassy Suites, there were no carts available nor any bellhops to assist us bringing our dresses and luggage up to our room. The room itself was fine-- clean and fairly comfortable. When my husband and I returned after our wedding very late at night, the hotel still seemed to be busy. I assume this is typical, but it was so loud downstairs that it carried up to our room on the 10th floor and kept me from sleeping. In the morning, we were woken up with extremely loud bagpipes at 8am, apparently having to do with a Celtic fair that was being held at the hotel that weekend. I understand that the fair brought in a lot of business, but was that really necessary given that there were other guests whose stay wasn't related to the fair, who perhaps didn't want to be woken up at 8am on a Sunday morning?! The worst part of all was a group of about 30 kids who completely took over the hotel. They were running amok everywhere, with no adult supervision. They rode the elevators for fun, getting stuck in them and making things slow and miserable for other guests. It was so noisy and chaotic that we decided to cut our stay short and to check out early... for which we were slammed with a charge at the front desk (even though our room was completely paid for already). The front desk attendant was very nonchalant and flippant towards us, and we found he charged my parents' credit card with the extra fee, even though we paid him right there in cash. Not only that, we never received the bottle of champagne that my parents asked and paid for to be placed in our room for when we returned after our wedding. To summarize, we were extremely disappointed with our stay, and expected to be treated with more respect and care given that we chose to stay at their hotel on such a special occasion in our lives! We will never stay there again, and we will urge our family and friends to not stay there in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarah L, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago - Lombard / Oak Brook, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments through Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Embassy Suites in Lombard. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience. I want to personally apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. We all want our guests to enjoy our facilities and exceed their expectations to ensure they have the best stay possible. I am sorry this was not your experience.

This was certainly not a typical weekend for us. We had many large groups and family events in the hotel, including the annual Celtic Tradeshow. We took additional steps to help ensure the safety and security of our hotel, by employing additional security team members on Friday and Saturday night. The crowd in the hotel was particularly rowdy this weekend, and our security and management staff did what they could to enforce our policies and maintain a positive environment for everyone.

I also want to apologize for the confusion with your check out. You were charged the extra fee for an early departure in leiu of paying for the final night. I’m sorry about the confusion, as this charge could have been applied to the credit card instead of paying cash. After speaking with the person at the front desk, he assured me that he was trying to give you the best option which in this case meant a discount.

Again, I am truly sorry for your poor experience. We understand that this was a very important event for you and your family. I want to thank you for staying with us at Embassy Suites Lombard and I hope you will continue to stay with our family of brands. Your loyalty to Embassy and the Hilton Family of hotels continues to make us the first choice among world travelers. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other concerns.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here during a business trip. Great local near shopping and plenty of places to dine. Hotel is clean and well kept. Standard Embassy Suites rooms and great breakfast and reception. Nice fitness center as well with plenty of equipment that actually all functions which is rare if you stay in many hotels. Front desk staff was great, only 1 issues with a rude bartender but I won't allow that to hinder my review maybe he was having a bad day.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MaryEMB, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago - Lombard / Oak Brook, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review. We're very sorry you experienced an undesirable level of customer service with us. The issue with the inhospitable bartender has been addressed. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area and experience the excellent level of hospitality that the Embassy Suites brand is known for. We appreciate your business!

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago - Lombard / Oak Brook? Share your experiences!