“Good not Great!” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Good not Great!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stopped here for dinner on a Thursday evening and found the place to be very busy. After being seated on the patio we enjoyed a couple of gold magaritas that really hit the spot. They were just the right blend not too strong with just the right kick. With the drinks we had the chili con queso and tortilla chips that were very tasty. For entrees I had the Chili Rellenos and my wife the combo enchiladas, the poblano's in the relleno were unusually spicy but had a very pleasing taste, the cheese was melted perfectly and they were a combo of spicy creamy goodness. My wife's enchiladas were not the best she has ever had but she said they were definitely good. After the cajeta for dessert we both left satisfied. I like this place, it is always consistent not fantastic but very good.

• Visited October 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Food and Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I went to Uncle Julio's for a dinner while in the Chicago area on a recommendation. WOW - we were not disappointed! The atmosphere was great. The placed was packed - which is usually a great sign. There was an hour wait, so we thought we would get a drink and wait. After a few minutes we were able to get a seat at the bar, which the next bar tender was over in a few minutes to offer us some chips and salsa - which were excellent! Their chips were thin and warm - exactly the way I love them! We decided to order at the bar. The food showed up shortly and was awesome. My wife ordered their enchiladas which she said these were the best enchiladas she has ever had! I ordered the nachos with steak fajitas which were absolutedly wonderful! The overall experience was awesome. Definitely I would recommend this to anyone.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Chicago, Illinois
“Fun Spot; Good Food/Service; Lovely outdoor seating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was a delightful place for lunch today - a lovely day weather-wise in the Chicago area.
We ate outside with good friends; the wait staff was attentive and well trained without bugging us.
The menu is varied with something for everyone EVEN IF you don't particularly care for Mexican food! All in all it was to be highly recommended

• Visited August 2013
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Chips and Salsa were excellent! Everything else, TERRIBLE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We are on our annual family vacation and rely heavily on Tripadvisor to make a lot of our dining decisions. Tonight, I decided that I was in the mood for Mexican food. We were hard pressed to find Mexican food anywhere near where we are staying, but found Uncle Julio's. The place was packed. I would consider this to be a good sign. We were seated after about a 5-minute wait. The chips and salsa were brought immediately, also a good sign. They were delicious. The fairytale ends there, folks! The services was, how shall I put it, lacking. My husband wouldn't even eat his food and said it was disgusting (chicken enchiladas with red sauce). I got the Especial Fajitas... Also not very good, and I have to say, for the price of $17.95, there was not much food there... at all! And what food was there was pretty gross. The steak was fatty, the chicken not good. There were barely any grilled peppers and onions (let's be honest people, they aren't that expensive, throw a few more on the plate). I did, however, get two HUGE scoops of guacamole. Now, exactly what I would ever do with that much guac is beyond me. Our server forgot to bring my tortillas... that took about five minutes. They ran out of iced tea, so she brought me water instead (thank you for bringing me something at least), and said that the iced tea would be done in two minutes... I reminded her again 10 minutes later. I don't even want to think about the fact that the total bill with not a very large tip was over $50.00. AWFUL! Don't go.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Good Mexican”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The food is good, but for the price I would skip it. A little too expensive for the quality. A fun place none the less and one of the only mexican places close to me, so I am stuck when I want to go south of the border.

• Visited June 2013