“First Time Dinners” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 81 Restaurants in Libertyville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: The restaurant is one-and-a-half blocks south of the Libertyville station on the Metra Milwaukee District North Line: http://metrarail.com/Sched/md_n/md_n.shtml
Johnsburg, Illinois
“First Time Dinners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Tripadvisor again didn't lead me wrong on this dining experience. Thanks to all the wonderful reviews, my husband and I decided to go to The Tavern for the first time on our 5th anniversary. It was amusing since almost everyone that walked in was celebrating an anniverssary or some type of special event. The service was OUTSTANDING (our waitress helped me pick the perfect halibut entree and it was spectacular!) and the food was wonderful! We definitely felt that the staff very much cared for everyone that entered and demonstrated their appreciation for us celebrating our event with them. We will definitely come back again!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Illinois
“Wonderful Anniversary Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have been to the Tavern many times over the years, but have been coming more recently for special occasions. We chose the Tavern to help celebrate our 35th anniversary, and it was a lovely evening. We have learned how to slow the pace of dinner down so that we aren't in and out too quickly unless we choose to do so. We usually order a drink, and enjoy conversation over the drink. Then, we order our salad or appetizer. After that, we place our order for our dinner. Otherwise, as mentioned, the service can be too rushed. Also, if you tell your server that you want to slow things down, they will do just that, usually.

The menu here has a lot to offer; we usually stick with the seafood as the steak entrees can be very pricey. Prices are ala carte, for the most part, unless you order some of the seafood entrees, which often come with delicious vegetable side dishes. My very favorite entree is the one called "Edie's Halibut". It comes on arugula with asparagus and a tomato confit topping... absolutely delectable. I also love their bread offerings... the multigrain breadsticks are superb.

We were offered a complimentary glass of champagne to start off our celebration. (You need to join their email list to get these offers and register with them.) We really like their garlic mushrooms, and split that along with the blue cheese caprese salad offering from their special menu. I was tempted to order my usual favorite, however, for our anniversary, I ordered a different fish dish from the specials menu. Halibut crusted with parmigiano-reggiano cheese and served with asparagus. Wow... I will add that to my favorite list. My husband had their rack of lamb and enjoyed it very much. For dessert, we split the caramel apple tart. We were given a beautiful little chocolate cake for dessert that we reluctantly had to return because I can't have chocolate... but did it look lovely. All in all, a very special evening to celebrate our anniversary.

The wine list is absolutely amazing... too bad I can't drink red wine, because they have pages of offerings. The white wine list is shorter, but offers a wide range of selections, including my favorite splurge wine, and I also like the great white wine by the glass offerings.

We'll be back. We really enjoy the ambience there, and the consistent service and delicious food. The decor upstairs is very unique; it is an elegant, small space that enhances the overall experience. And if we want to spend less, we'll go the Lounge downstairs... great wines by the glass, martinis and nibbles to go with the drinks. Love the cheese plate offerings.

As mentioned earlier, we have enjoyed this restaurant for years. The changes in the menu (and prices) in the last few years have been a good decision, and we'll keep coming back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Inverness
“Did not meet expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Did not meet expectations and will not return. Service only adequate and far too quick particularly in serving main course. Pork chop dominated by herbs to point that I could not taste the pork.. Manager asked how I liked the porkchop and I told him it was not good. Responded by telling me the herbs used to "kill" the chop. No apology or any kind kind of comp. Coffee stale.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
“Exquisite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The service was outstanding,a s was the scallops entree'. The wine steward was able to recommend a very good bottle of wine to go with our dinner selection.

Visited July 2012
“Great place for diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Consistent service, great atmosphere and awesome steaks. I've gone here for drinks, to impress a date and for business meetings. Always impresses.

Rich is great behind the bar and Tom at the tables.

The lounge downstairs is a great hangout for a drink. Very easy to get a table. It would be nice, though, if they would take the panels off the windows and open the place up.

Upstairs is great for dinner. Just a little unusual that there aren't any windows up there either. Maybe the owners are vampires. Not sure, but I do like the place.

They have a great private dining room for business dinners.

• Visited June 2012