“Don't go there.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Lansing

You added Howard Johnson Lansing to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Lansing
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17301 Oak Avenue, Torrence Ave & Beinice Rd, Lansing, IL 60438   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lansing
Tiger, Georgia
“Don't go there.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Rooms are in deplorable condition. House keeping was awful. No washcloths, no hand towels, toilet paper not in holder because holder pulled out of wall, no coffee for room coffee maker, towels were a dingy white. 2 ice machines in entire complex and neither worked. Notice by city stating "do not enter outside stairwell doors" posted on all floors. Sign says free breakfast. Breakfast included cold bagels, cereal with no milk on the counter, coffee had to be asked for. One of the worst motel experiences ever encountered. All this enjoyment for $85.00 a night.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Caldwell, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

For the price, you won't be able to find a hotel with easy access to where you're going or coming from. With that said, the doorways, hallways and elevator are dirty and don't smell clean. Thank god that the same didn't go for my room!

The room was clean, bed nicely made, ac worked, and I couldn't hear neighbors. Thats all I am asking for when I pay $44 a night.

Some unsettling things was seeing a police car slowly cruise through the parking lot (says something of the neighborhood) and the 3rd floor door's electronic lock was broken from the inside...

• Stayed May 2012
Lansing, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I would stay here again if I was short on cash. The place isn't the cleanliest but it's not horrid. The staff were friendly enough and it's in a great location. You can't beat $40 a night and expect a 5-star room. Biggest complaint would be the crap pillows. But the air conditioning kept me cool all night and the bed was comfortable enough.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Homewood, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was looking for the cheapest hotel I could find in an ok area of the south suburbs. The deal I got on this hotel was the cheapest around and the area is decent. Kmart, best buy, lifetime fitness withing walking distance. Mall about a mile away. Right off I80.

It seems like they are doing some remodeling. The public areas, halls, elevator, etc are a little dirty and rough. My room however was nice. It was nicely decorated and clean. There was even a mini fridge, Micro, and coffee maker. The bed was ok and I slept fine.

I didn't try the breakfast and the pool wasn't open yet for the season as it is outdoor.

Overall I was very happy with my stay and got exactly what I was looking for, a nice place to sleep at a great price.

Room Tip: The third floor has interior hallways, 1st and 2nd are exterior.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Rockford, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience of my life. We take a lot of weekend trips and like to stay at different places. I can overlook Something small but this place was beyond help! The short list would be that the carpet was dirty on site the sheets were not clean, the TV only worked on certain channels and there was no TV guide to help with that. When we went in to the bathroom in the evening getting ready to go out we stepped on the floor and water came up through the cracks in the floor! The paint on the base of the floor was bubble and peeling away from the wall because of the water damaged floor. YUK! We went to the Free breakfast in the lobby the next morning and at 9:00 am they didn’t even have coffee left. Run away from here as fast as you can they should be paying people to stay here not the other way around!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

My stay at the Howard Johnson was very nice, the location was perfect right off the highway and close to restaurants and store. I have recommended it to people already. The rooms were clean and the maid service was good.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Redondo Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

After a 7 hour drive from TN I was tired and stinky. The delightful girl at the front desk allowed me to check in a few hours early. That's all I can say in favor of this motel. My key card seemed to work but the door wouldn't budge. After repeated tries, I asked a maid what was wrong and she showed me that I had to put my shoulder into the door to open it. Once inside, of course I had to use equal force to close the door. Felt sorry for my neighbors.

The room was pretty disgusting. Layers of dirt lined the window frame. Bathroom in dire need of clean caulk and new fixtures. Creepy.

None of the vending machines worked and I got the feeling the place is regularly robbed and ransacked. The pool was padlocked, too. Other guests were kinda scary. I slept with a gun under my pillow.

Just thought of one more positive comment: there are security cameras everywhere so at least there'd be a record of your assault when you get murdered on the way to the elevator!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Howard Johnson Lansing? Share your experiences!