“Think twice” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Lansing

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Lansing to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Lansing
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17301 Oak Avenue, Torrence Ave & Beinice Rd, Lansing, IL 60438   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lansing
Rockford, Illinois
“Think twice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience of my life. We take a lot of weekend trips and like to stay at different places. I can overlook Something small but this place was beyond help! The short list would be that the carpet was dirty on site the sheets were not clean, the TV only worked on certain channels and there was no TV guide to help with that. When we went in to the bathroom in the evening getting ready to go out we stepped on the floor and water came up through the cracks in the floor! The paint on the base of the floor was bubble and peeling away from the wall because of the water damaged floor. YUK! We went to the Free breakfast in the lobby the next morning and at 9:00 am they didn’t even have coffee left. Run away from here as fast as you can they should be paying people to stay here not the other way around!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

My stay at the Howard Johnson was very nice, the location was perfect right off the highway and close to restaurants and store. I have recommended it to people already. The rooms were clean and the maid service was good.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Redondo Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

After a 7 hour drive from TN I was tired and stinky. The delightful girl at the front desk allowed me to check in a few hours early. That's all I can say in favor of this motel. My key card seemed to work but the door wouldn't budge. After repeated tries, I asked a maid what was wrong and she showed me that I had to put my shoulder into the door to open it. Once inside, of course I had to use equal force to close the door. Felt sorry for my neighbors.

The room was pretty disgusting. Layers of dirt lined the window frame. Bathroom in dire need of clean caulk and new fixtures. Creepy.

None of the vending machines worked and I got the feeling the place is regularly robbed and ransacked. The pool was padlocked, too. Other guests were kinda scary. I slept with a gun under my pillow.

Just thought of one more positive comment: there are security cameras everywhere so at least there'd be a record of your assault when you get murdered on the way to the elevator!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

First off, I took photos of my stay and everything that is wrong. These are large problems.

*The bathroom was not clean - furthermore the tub was covered in cig burns
*The free soap and shampoo in the room had been already used
*The bed, sheets, pillows, and towels smelled of MOLD! Sleeping was horrible as you were immersed in the smell!
*Shady people! This area is surrounded by dangerous people and we think we saw a 'lady of the night' pick up a client and then take him back to her room!
*You will NOT get a refund - this location is independently owned and so not even the corporate headquarters can refund you. I asked for a refund at the front desk and was refused one, instead they offered me a coupon for a % off my next stay there! OMG! Why would I stay there again?!
*Dirty halls - marked up walls, litter, and more.
*People are living here
*Elevator isnt working right - doesnt show the floors and which way it is going. If the lights dont work, what else isnt working?
*Security is a joke - the security door on the third floor has its keycard torn out and anyone can walk in and out. SCARY!
*The furniture in our room as badly scratched up and banged up. It desperately needed replacing.
*The carpet in our room was full of cig burns and even a massive iron burn.
*Some of the lights in our room flat out did not work, even after being plugged in and having a working lightbulb placed in them. Some of the lamps were obviously damaged.
*TV no longer worked right. The tv buttons were broken and only the remote worked.
*Walls had obvious patches in the drywall

Again, please see the photos that support my claims.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

It smell bad! and it is not clean, even the lobby is nasty, there is a sign that said $39.99 for a night it is a hotels for ladies of the night and dogs and cat, it is a hotel that u can bring your pets, and the floors look like it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We were coming to Chicago for a 4 day music festival. Booked the hotel w/o reading reviews for 4 nights. It was cheap. Our expectations were fairly low. Just wanted a clean place to sleep. Upon walking in to the entry way it was about 100 degrees but the lobby was cooler and seemed decent (If we only knew then) Took almost an hour to check in d/t there being 2 people in line ahead of us. Staff (young man with dreads) was nice enough and got us booked in. We drove around to the back where our room was. (room 149). Upon entering the room we got all of our stuff in and started to look around. I used the bathroom first. the lid was up and there was a dirty shoe print on the rim of the toilet, cigarette burns on the tub, The shower curtain had gross mildew, nothing in there was even the remotest bit clean. I then looked at the floor and in all of the corners in the very small bathroom was DEAD BEETLE LOOKING BUGS. NOT JUST ONE BUT MANY IN ALL OF THE CORNERS. pulled back the ancient bed spread and the sheets were dirty, pulled back the sheets and the mattress pad was stained with urine. Pulled back the mattress pad and there was black specks on the dirty mattress. We are unsure of what these were but it was icky and we didn't stick around to look at them. The carpet was filthy. The curtain in the 1 window was broken and could not be opened. The room its self had a very strong odor combined with the smell of smoke. (It was a no smoking room) The one benefit of the hotel is that it had WIFI and we used it to find another hotel. We were there a grand total of about 30 minutes in the room. We checked out at the front desk. This time the clerk was less friendly and when asked for a refund (for the four days we booked the room) he told us that we would have to contact the booking agent who we booked with on line. We contacted the main Howard Johnson office. They stated that they would notify the owner who would have 1 week to make things right or come to some sort of agreement. More than a week has past and we have not heard from him. We will continue to work with the corporation to get some of our money back. This was a terrible experience and one that we took the important lesson to make sure we read the reviews. DON"T STAY HERE UNLESS YOU LIKE SLEEPING WITH BUGS.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011 via mobile

Now I really understand the meaning "Looks are deceiving." when you pull into the lot the hotel looks good from the outside. All things changes after you check in and get on the elevator. The elevator had an odor like something passed died. When I got off the elevator there is something like a dead animal laying on the landing. When I finally make it to my room all looked good for the first hour. Sitting on the side of the bed it felt like something crawling on me look down and ants were crawling on my legs. I go downstairs to inform management he told me he would give me some bug spray but didn't have any. He then tell me that they don't have anymore rooms because they were booked. He did even up finding me a room when I got back he told me it was temporary since it was a personal room. When we got into the room. Within the first five minutes I we notice a roach crawling on the wall. I go back downstairs and the manager on duty is dealing with another guest who is complain of a simliar issue with bugs to my amazement she was dealing with bed bugs. Yes I said BED BUGS!!! I couldn't do anything but shake my head. I forgot to mention that they had green moss growing in the window track on the inside and mold growing on the ceiling. I called Howard Johnson corporate to inform them of my stay. I was told by Linda in there corporate office since it was a independently owned hotel there was nothing the could do but thanks for informing them of my stay. When I was checking out there was a man renting a room by the hour with his lady friend. If you have to stay in this hotel I pray your health insurance is up to date.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Howard Johnson Lansing? Share your experiences!