“Motel needs remodling and grounds cleaned and reseeded.” 2 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2450 East 173rd Street, Lansing, IL 60438   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Lansing
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
“Motel needs remodling and grounds cleaned and reseeded.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We always choose Red Roofs because of the pet policy and they are always adequate to very nice. However, this one was less than that. The whole motel looked old, located in a ghetto feeling area. The grounds were not landscaped in good condition (having more muddy spots than grass.) Around the facility were areas where someone had just thrown out what was left of a chicken dinner. When walking my dog, I had to quickly grab the bones so that she would not grab them to get stuck in her throat.
Inside, the heater/airconditioner was very old with the markings almost worn off. As a result, we never could get the heat regulated and it was very hot the whole time we were there, even though there was a thermostat on the wall. The whole room had a feeling of needing to be refurbished. The bathroom door had a hole in it, patched instead of door replaced. For such a room and motel, I thought that the $60 a night for a king room, senior, was way too high. For an average type Red Roof it would have been around $45.

Room Tip: Stay in Merriville, In. (Red Roof) Not far away and much nicer. I could not recommend any room at...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RedRoofLansingIL, Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Chicago Lansing Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

Bobby shah

Manager

Red Roof Inn - Chicago Lansing

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
lansing
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Let me start with this. Horrible, my husband and I came out to enjoy the area. We decided to stay at this Red Roof, why because I have stayed at other Red Roofs and they have been OK, We paid for the room, went to check out the room saw that the room was unclean and did not have the items in the room they were suppose to have. We immediately went back to the office to let them know we didn’t want to stay there. They refused to give us our money back; we were only in the room about 3 minutes. They offered to show us another room but we already knew we didn’t want to stay there. We saw the other room and didn’t like that room either. Our preference was to not stay there and they didn’t honor this, they would rather steal our money. Our night was ruined and the only reason why we stayed is we were up till 2 am arguing with these people including talking to the police department. We will be filing a formal complaint and we feel our rights have been violated. No one should be forced to stay anyplace they don’t want to stay. Manager had the nerve to say the other surrounding rooms cost more. Who cares they don’t know how much money we have to spend. We feel traumatized

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing, I am extremely sorry that your stay was not an enjoyable one. please give us one more chance to make right for you and I will make sure will make your next stay pleasant with us.

Bobby shah
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very nice & professional Desk personnel were my only positives. NEGATIVES: Old 3-building apartment-looking property with exterior doors (hate them), uncomfortably soft bed, old TV, no iron in room, no one to bring iron (sign out from front desk), incomplete courtesy items, hard/old towels, tiny bathroom - at 6'6" I felt like I was in an airplane lav. The tiny office had a little coffee pot, 1 chair, and 19" old TV. Would not stay here again nor recommend to anyone. The employees deserve a new facility!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rockford, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I chose this hotel because of the great rates and Trip Advisor reviews and was very disappointed. The room was not clean, the sheets were very thin, and the carpet was stained. I've added a picture of the filthy corner in the bathroom. The flip lock on the door was broken off and the deadbolt was questionable, so I slept with two chairs in front of the door, which anyone walking by could see because the drapes did not offer the privacy one would expect. This was easily the worst room I've seen in a long time, but it was also one of the cheapest.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
RedRoofLansingIL, Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Weaver56,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing, I am extremely sorry that your stay was not an enjoyable one. In your review you spoke of the cleanliness of your room. Typically, all rooms are inspected for cleanliness by a second person. They are graded based on the pleasant smell, clean bed, safety and security of the room, and overall cleanliness of the bathroom. I am sorry that this was not the case with your stay.While we do offer affordable prices in our rooms this does not exclude us from providing a quality product for our guest.

I would love to speak with your regarding your stay and resolve any areas of opportunity that we missed during your visit. Please fill free to contact me at 708-895-9570.

Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed here for 2 1/2 months while working on the BP project. The staff are all great, especially manager Ava and housekeeper Gail. The hotel was clean and the staff was always on top of any needs. As other reviews said the a/c was a little noisy but it didn't bother me. I worked nights and never was woke up by any oudoor racket even during the day. The only downside was that the area seemed a little sketchy. I never experienced any problems on the hotel property, but I didn't feel comfortable exploring very much of the neighborhood, however there are plenty of resteraunts and shopping within a few miles where I felt more comfortable. Overal I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: not all ac's keep up good in the summer, check first.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
RedRoofLansingIL, Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Go34ever1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit at the Red Roof Inn in Chicago Lansing. We were pleased to hear that experience was an enjoyable one. As you mention in your review, The lansing location is in great proximity of all local shopping centers. We are located just 2 miles from River Oaks shopping mall and many wonderful and authentic restaurants.

At Red Roof Inn we strive to provide our guest with a wonderful hospitality experience. I will be sure to share your comments with Gail and the rest of the staff regarding your visit.

Again, thank you for taking the time to fill out a review and we look forward to serving you should your travel plans permit.

Marcellus, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Checked in with someone behind me drinking beer in the lobby, piles of bags outside with people standing around, some half-dressed. No families seen, nor women, just men. Someone pressure-washing the second floor walkway sprayed dirt and grit all over our vehicle when I was inside checking in, which was a nice touch. We looked at the room and it appeared to be fine, but I found the whole atmosphere so unsettling that we chose to leave and find some place that felt safer - I just didn't feel comfortable staying here with my family.

• Stayed July 2012
RedRoofLansingIL, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Senior Contributor,

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a review. We are sorry that you did not feel comfortable staying at the property. The men that you mention in your review that are lodging at the location are workers from all over the country. They are here to build a pipeline with BP and are staying at all of the hotels in the area. I do apologize if your car was sprayed with dirt and grit while our maintenance GSR was cleaning the property. Nevertheless, we were pleased that you found the room to be in good condition as our team of housekeeping and maintenance gsrs work extra hard to provide a quality product to our guest. Again, we would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey and hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you in the future should your travel plans require it.

Davis, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Even as "inexpensive" as some suggest this Red Roof Inn is greatly overpriced as there are NO amenities for those cheap rooms. Our non-smoking unit WASN'T as the odor was evident and there were still ashes on the bathroom floor. The individual AC units are aged and quite ineffective, ours had controls that were broken so is was actually uncontrollable without a pliers to turn the cool/warm and fan units. I love dogs but not in my motel lobby. Staff was friendly enough but not very competent with anything outside the norm and pretty slow even within the norm. Lots of much better places nearby for a few dollars more. Probably one of the 3 top worst places I've ever stayed at!

Room Tip: If you absolutely NEED to stay here, ask for rooms in the newer section though they aren't much...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
RedRoofLansingIL, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Joh H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. As you mentioned in your review Red Roof Inn is a pet friendly hotel. The amenties that this location provide is free wi-fi, 24 hour fresh coffee in the lobby, free local and long distance calls, in room movies and games, and wonderful 24-hour staff desk staff trained to have a hospitality heart in regards to our guest. As you mention in your review that the staff was very friendly.

Again, we would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out a review and bringing any and all areas of opportunity to our attention. Since your last visit we have had all the airconditioner units cleaned and repaired. We have also had all carpets cleaned.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you better should your travel plans permit it.

Ava Adediwura

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing? Share your experiences!