“Not the "Ol' Standby"” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“Not the "Ol' Standby"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We've been eating at Hackney's for decades and the burgers have always been consistently good, but not tonight. I described them as "lacking LOVE". It tasted dry and processed, not the usual juicy, hand formed, high quality beef blend we've come to expect. Service was OK, but when we ordered a burger to go, it was priced higher than the menu price. We asked the server why and his response was that it was "ordered to go", that's store policy. The experience wasn't even worth consulting a manager because we don't plan to return. Hackney's brags that they've been voted "Best Burgers in the North Shore", but they certainly don't get my vote.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Way overpriced!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stopped at hackneys with my boyfriend for lunch, from what I remembered years ago I enjoyed it. But it was nothing like I remembered. It was extremely dark and smelled very musky. The food was mediocre and extremely overpriced. $8 something for 6 mozzarella sticks. French fries were bland. I noticed that the tables had a circle crease around it and was filled with years and years of crumbs! Ew! But the waiter was nice. Save your money!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
North Barrington, Illinois
“If you've never tried any of the Hackney's, You Should.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The food at the Lake Zurich Hackney's is the same great food served at their other locations. Basically you come for the burgers and the fired onion loaf but their daily specials and other menu items are very good too. They pour a stiff mixed drink. Friendly staff.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Antioch
“Still serving good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We had lunch with family today and our service was very good and all the meals (11) came out correct, at the same time and all was good. Not rushed out, allowed to visit after our meal. Turkey burger my husband ordered was very good and my strawberry spinach salad was extra good. We will return for sure.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Joplin, Missouri
“musty smell”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

me and my mom stopped in to have lunch one sunday last month to have lunch and watch the bears the burger want cooked right the service was slow i used to go to hackney's when i was a kid and now it is not how i remember it it has a musty smell and we had to wait 20 mins for our food but the onions rings are good

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hackneys, Owner at Hackney's Lake Zurich, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review and I will be sure to bring it to the attention of my staff. I want you to know we take your opinion very serious. We hope you give us another try.

Thanks!