“sidewalk fries and pan pizza” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Lake Bluff
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“sidewalk fries and pan pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Have been eating at the Silo for decades!! (Since way, way before the model trains were added). Really, really love the pizza.
Really, really love the sidewalk fries (which I am told were originally created to use up a surplus of baked potatoes).
Every so often I am overwhelmed by a craving for pizza and/or sidewalk fries and off I go to Lake Bluff.
It's a great family restaurant with a very extensive menu. If you plan ahead, you can print a $4.00 coupon at the website, www.silopizza.com.

Visited October 2013

Libertyville
“Pizza to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is on of the best pizza places in the Chicago area. Their thin crust pizza has the benefit of reduced carbs for those who are watching carb intake. They have a variety of pizzas and salads. I know they have other things on the menu, but this is a place known for their pizza. They have a great atmosphere with service to match. We have been going there for over 30 years.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
“Fantastic Pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

when ever we are North of our town we stop for the best deep dish pizza. Been going there for over Literally 40 years.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Good food experience, ruined by shocking customer interaction.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Summary: Great food, but witnessed a shocking interaction with a customer (details below).

This was our first time trying out this restaurant. We had driven past it in the past and it never really registered as anything noteworthy, until my wife read somewhere that it had good pizza, so we figured we will give it a shot.

The food itself was pretty good, took a while to come out, but the pizza we ordered (both pan style as well as thin crust) was very good (except one type of mini pizza that was very "meh). The pizza has exactly the type of dough that I love (reminds me of homemade pizza), so I was psyched that this is an establishment that I would look forward to eating at again.

I noticed a couple of issues with customer service at first when we got in. The wait was much longer than promised, they only accept paper coupons, and they put us (with a little kid and an infant) on a huge table where it was impractical to be able to deal with the kids. We saw a booth open up, but somehow our waiter and the rest of the staff did not communicate well, so it was given to someone else after we waited 10 mins for it to get cleaned. 5 or so mins later though, another booth opened up and we moved and commenced to order.

When we finished eating, we packed some left overs to take home. I took the kids and waited in the front for my wife to join us when I witnessed what I would consider one of the biggest no-no's in customer service.

An elderly gentleman came with a waiter to the front to talk to the "guy in charge", who seemed to be simply the most senior host, not really a manager. The issue seemed to be about some small print on a coupon where only one per table was allowed. The man explained to the head waiter that he has been coming here for the past 40 years, since there was someone in his party from out of town who had brought this coupon, is there any way to make this coupon work. The waiter had given him the impression that this guy would be able to make that call.

Typically a story ends there with either a polite but firm NO, or the head of the staff is empowered to make some sort of decision. However, the staff looked like lost sheep until one of them realized that the owner was upstairs, so they just called him to take care of this.

The poor fellow who was waiting had a relieved look on his face, surely things will be addressed now. But from the moment the "owner" walked down, it was obvious that he was so wrong.
Up to this point I was trying to watch the kids and happened to be just watching this interaction. My ears truly perked up and I felt I was watching one of those TV shows on food network when the following happened.

First, the "owner" was looking down at this man as if he just wasted his time by making him come down. When the man started explaining the story, a loud "get to the point" was the first audible response I heard from the owner. This was followed by a repeat of what the small print on the coupon said. At this point I expected it to just end there, with an apology that things cannot be worked out. Instead the owner said this "if you cannot afford to eat here, go somewhere else." and it was said with the biggest ego one can imagine. My mouth literally dropped open, and the poor old man at the receiving end of this seemed to have just started walking back, probably wondering what just hit him.

After the man left, the owner and his staff had a short laugh and a joke about not doing a "silo musical chairs" (remember the coupon small print said something about one coupon per table).

I couldn't believe that his guy would truly be the owner and talk to a customer that way (you can say no and be polite, or in this case be an a-hole), but I asked the hostess on my way out if that was the owner, and she confirmed it.

I truly believe that you never really know the level of a service a place offers, or if they appreciate their customers until either something goes wrong or if a customer asks an odd request. The response you get, especially if the owner of a place is involved, says a lot about the establishment and what goes on behind the scenes.

If you do end up going there, remember to print your coupons at home, don't expect stellar service, and pray that you are not in a situation where the owner has to come to take care of you as a customer. That has a different meaning here.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Horrible water, pizza slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Good food, pricey and terrible water! Soooo slow. Our waiter came by twice and they weren't even busy!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere