“Very nice hotel!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 S. Larkin Avenue, Joliet, IL 60436 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #16 of 23 hotels in Joliet
“Very nice hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Kenny, the guest services night attendant, was the friendliest person we have had the opportunity to meet on the week long vacation we took. When we arrived he was baking cookies, cleaning up, folding laundry, and seemed to be busy the entire time. Of the other 6 hotels we stayed in, he was by far the friendliest and hardest working person we encountered. One HUGE issue I had was the fact that he wanted to charge me $20.00 for a box of laundry detergent (3 load size). I thought he was joking but he was serious! They had recently had a meeting and the manager said to charge $20.00. I had to walk down to the convenience store and bought a box for $9.89 that would do 20 loads. I asked the girl at the front desk the next morning how much detergent was and she said $1.00. I was furious!! She said that Kenny must have thought Rich, the manager, was serious about charging $20.00. Very poor management, if you ask me. Kenny might be all of 20 yrs old, if that! Rich, the manager, should have made it clear in the meeting and not made a joke of it. I have sent a written complaint and have yet to even be acknowledged by them. Won't stay there again!

• Stayed June 2012

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Grand Junction, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

At first glance the hotel seems nice, the revolving door gives it a hint of class and the restaurant/bar is classy. Then you get to the elevator. One elevator that must have been installed by Mr. Otis himself. The room is very old and small and is in need of updating. A buffet breakfast was included but never been to a hotel breakfast that charged extra for OJ. The rest of the food choices was dismal at best.......the basic scrambled eggs, sausage and toast. My wife wanted cereal and had to ask for it and it was brought out from the back room. Total joke as far as I was concerned and considering the cost of the room made this place a bad place to stay. I can't believe Holiday Inn would allow a property like this to carry the brand name. Needless to say I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: stay on the ground floor because you will wait all morning for the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed here on a recent cross country trip with my family. For our one night stay, I say that the hotel was decent but nothing to "write home to Mom about." Beds were comfortable and room was clean. I have to say that the best thing of our stay was the breakfast in the restaurant. The food was good and the service was great. I'd stay here again, but the price would have to come down a bit.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I had a pleasant enough 2-night stay here but overall, compared to other HIEx properties, this one just doesn't measure up. The bed and all the plush pillows and linens were comfy. From front desk to housekeeping, the staff were all courteous enough, so kudos for that. I, too, was told to use the "B" entrance which worked out just fine, but that's basically all I saw during my visit. From the wing of the hotel I was in, I'd have to agree with some of the other reviewers as it just feels like the life has been sucked out of this property.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
De Pere, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Front Desk was nice and helpful. They advise you to go thru the back entrance which was pretty dismal. As we walked in there was stuff all over the carpet - first impressions were not good. My son was excited to go swimming, but then when we were told where to find the pool by the housekeeping staff, it led us to an "outdoor" pool which was still closed for the season - pretty disappointing. The lighting in the halls was flourecent and extremely dim - which is neither welcoming nor asthetically pleasing. The rooms were fairly cleain, but there was still staining on the walls in areas. There was a brand new 42" LG flat panel, but the chanels were analog and very few - not the best picture for a new HD TV. The heating unit when turned on emitted the normal electric heater smell; which my wife promptly told me to turn off as she would rather be cold than smell it. All in all the people were nice and there had been renovations, but it's one of those things where "you spit shine a turd, you still have a turd". They tried to renovate, but you can only cover up so much. I would give it 2.5 stars.

Room Tip: I got the rooms via Hotwire for $70+_tax/etc. Glad I only paid this much.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear John H,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you mentioned our friendly staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received accommodations which wereunacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is an older property & it's showing its age. There's not much here to write home about. I was there for business. It would not be my first pick. There was no special treatment by staff. You're just another customer. The rooms are typcial post era Holiday Inn. The restaurant definitely is aging. It appeared our group was imposing on the bartender and food staff. The food I ordered was terrible. Find another restaurant close by. There are plenty to choose from.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
WisconsinRanger,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care
Hebron
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

This was an excellent hotel, good price, good location, clean room, friendly staff, good breakfast, great shower and comfortable bed. Could not have asked for any more. Everything i expect from this chain and even more. Sometimes you go to a hotel because of the name and come back sorely disappointed. This holiday inn does NOT disappoint. Would stay there again without a doubt.

Room Tip: I was on first floor and had no problems.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!