“Will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER come back!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 23 hotels in Joliet
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER come back!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My Family and I stayed here for 4 nights as we took in the sites.. The hotel was ok, but what made me mad was when they charged my credit card for HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS over and above what our room charge was. If I hadn't been contacted by my credit union about the extra charges, i never would've known and my available credit was being affected. The hotel tried to blame it on an automatic overnight audit and took no responsibilty until I forced them to talk to my credit union and remove the overcharges.. We will never be back....

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Paul H, Manager at Comfort Inn North, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
I am deeply apologize for the inconvenience of overcharging your credit card. It is a rarity that we do over charge anybody, but it is an unfortunate occurance that a lot of hotels go through from time to time with their data systems. We have looked into the problem that occured with your situation and have since corrected the problem. If you would like to talk to me over the phone, feel free to contact me at 815-436-5141, or you can email me at Paul.Heuer@pillarhotels.com. I am the new General Manager, and guests are my number one priority.

Paul H

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Columbus, o
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We were walked here from the Holiday Inn Express next door. I have never had so many issues with a hotel before. The room was dirty, carpet filthy, wallpaper peeling off of the wall. There was used soap in the shower from the previous guest. When we went to leave the door would not lock, you could push it open. My friend messed with it and got it to lock when we weren't in the room. I called the front desk about the problems and they said they would be up in 15 min but half an hour later they still did not show up. My firend figured out that the door frame was straight, but the door was warped. The breakfast area was dirty and the selection was not what you would expect. At check out I ghad to argue with the clerk about how much I actually owed and what was to be billed to the Hoilday Inn Express. She finally called the Holiday Inn to get the correct answer. next time I am in the area I will not stay at either hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Presho, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

The Comfort Inn North in Joliet, IL is convenient to I-55, the Joliet Mall and a variety of restaurants. The room was typical Comfort Inn. The pool was a nice temperature however the hot tub was not working the first night we were there.
Breakfast was the usual fare with the addition of sausage and eggs. I don’t know if the eggs were powdered or overcooked, but they were not good. The donuts were stale.
There is an automatic safe charge added to your bill. Be sure to ask for a refund if you don't use it.
We have stayed there before & will probably stay there again because it is convenient and the price is right.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for you review. I am glad that you had an overall pleasant experience at the Comfort Inn North Joliet. I also appreciate the feedback as well. We strive to provide the best breakfast for our guest and I am sorry that we did not provide that for you. Our new hot breakfast was new at the time, and we are consistently striving to improve it. It is feedback like yours that helps us improve! I also do appologize for the issue with the hot tub. Though we do keep good care of our pool and hot tub, it can have problems time to time. I do appologize that you were not able to have that luxury the first night. Once again, I do appreciate the positive and negative feedback. I am the new General Manager, and comments like these help improve this hotel.

Paul H
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

This hotel is easily accessible from I-55. We called about 4 hotels from the road about 10 minutes out: Holiday Inn Express($89), Fairfield ($74), and Hampton Inn($109). I didn't check Super 8 or Motel 6. This was the best rate, beating Fairfield by a few dollars; since I am a Choice Rewards member we just decided to stay here. We arrive about 9pm and were leaving the next morning for downtown Chicago to visit colleges, so didn't need to be near attractions or amenities - just a reasonably-priced, safe, clean place to spend the night. Free breakfast and free high speed wi-fi were also important in our choice.

They buzz you in as the lobby is locked, which is fine by me. The rooms are all interior doorways which I prefer for safety reasons. The lobby was small and included the breakfast area. Our room was a bit above average in size and was very clean. It showed some signs of age and wear and tear, but nothing concerning or that detracted from our stay. The receptionist was polite and knowledgeable and honored my AAA discount ($71) even though I couldn't dig out my card.

The TV is an old-school "big box", but I really don't care about that as long as it gets my news channels. Bathroom was clean with plenty of towels, shampoo and lotion. No conditioner, but I always bring my own just in case. Bathroom had a hair dryer.

The beds were of average comfort - a bit 'mushy" for my liking but not uncomfortable. Pillows were comfortable. You can hear people moving around - not sure if it was in the room above (we were on the first floor) or the upstairs hallway. The air conditioner/heater worked great but there is a distinct difference when it switches off and on which was a little jarring when falling asleep - instead of a gentle white noise, it kicked on with a "whoosh" and then things seemed very quiet when it kicked off.

The breakfast was fine - not great, like HIXpress, but fine and more than adequate - everyone should be able to find something to like. English muffins, bagels, bread for toast, 3 cereals, oatmeal, donuts, cream cheese, butter, jam, peanut butter. They have a waffle maker which is a a nice touch, milk, 3 juices, and plenty of coffee. There was also a big basket of apples. Space was a little cramped but most people are in and out, so no big deal to us.

There was a small-ish indoor pool and hot tub, which we did not use. You probably won't swim laps in it, but it would work if the kids need to burn off some energy after a long car ride.

All in all, this was pretty much just what I was looking for: a decent, safe, clean room near Chicago where we could spend the night without paying an arm and a leg. Comfort Inn seems to be pretty consistent: clean, safe, adequate. Would it have been worth the extra $18 to stay at a HIX? Not sure. Their beds/bedding are typically on the above average side, their breakfast offers a bit more hot choices if you like that, and their bath amenities are very good. I like to save a buck where I can, however, and after a fairly leisurely, late afternoon, drive from St Louis (about 4 hours), this fit the bill perfectly.

Comfort Inn/Choice continues the irritating practice of automatically charging you for the safe in the room unless you remember to tell them you don't want it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010 via mobile

Due to my husband's job, we have been staying a this Comfort Inn every weekend for over a year. During our year at Comfort Inn North we have been lied to and pushed around, the third time was the last. The first time they told us they were booked, and when we called back and hour later we were told "oh we have a ton of rooms left" by a different person. We complained and got no results. The final straw came when we reserved a suite for my birthday, only to show up and learn that we had been moved to a regular room but still had to pay the bigger price. We were told "that is the price, take it or leave it". The staff is rude. The rooms are ok, but not worth what they charge. I will NEVER go to this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2009
Conyers, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

There is not an outstanding selection of motels in the Joliet area. This is a nice, yet average facility. The front desk personnel were very helpful. The breakfast buffet leaves a little to be desired.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

The wife and I stayed here on Saturday night on a Chinatown trip, using Choice Privileges points reward night. We stayed in the king suite, which I believe just added a microwave/fridge and a sofabed/coffee table along with some extra square footage. The room was well furnished, modern. The bathroom was adequate size, enough for one person, and clean and working. The HVAC was dated but worked adequately. We watched a couple of movies on the free in room HBO. Check in and check out were busy but friendly.

The property and room were clean, with plenty of parking. We enjoyed the pool and the whirlpool around 4:30pm. There was a soccer group staying there at the time, but they were out at the game so we had the pool to ourselves. The hotel was close to a shopping mall, movie theaters and restaurants which we enjoyed. I did some work on my laptop while the wife went shopping. The free wireless internet worked well and the room had two desks.

I found the bed to be comfortable, but my wife did not. I slept soundly, but my wife complained she was woken twice, once by some late night partyers returning to the hotel, although we were on the third floor, and early in the morning some people were standing outside the elevator talking. She is a light sleeper.

The continental breakfast was typical with plenty of bread, pastries, milk, cereal, boiled eggs, juice and a little fruit. Didn't try the waffle maker. Coffee and tea are available at all times. We ate when they opened at 6am to avoid the crowd.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Large whirlpool
  • Disliked — Room near elevator
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Inn North? Share your experiences!