“A little disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Reservations
Crest Hill
“A little disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have lived in the area for five years, and have always heard of this place, so last night I made a reservation and took my daughter and her friend. I had the Lamb chops, I has lamb once long ago, and this tasted a bit like steak. I asked for the chops medium well and they were a bit bloody, but fairly tasty. I had the twice baked potato which was bearly warm when I got it.

My daughter and her friend had the buffet which had steak (which my daughter told me was boiled???) and various seafood dishes. They said the food was just average, but they felt the selection was good. All in all, I think I'll save my money next time and go to Golden Corral next door.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dexter, Michigan
“Group outing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Took a group of 14 from work and had a private room. The service exceeded my expectations, food was very good (BBQ ribs and prime rib were a hit with some of my staff). Prices were a good value with what we were expecting. will recommend to others.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Petersburg IL
“1st Time Visit- Very Impressed--Ignore the Parking Lot & Outside Decor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our son made a reservation for Al's since we were attending a concert at the BEAUTIFUL RIALTO THEATER in Joliet, Illinois. Just last night March 15th. What a warm atmosphere. Our server Jason was so attentive. We arrived arpox 15minutes prior to our reservation and were awaiting our son's arrival. We were seated and given beverages crackers etc.

My son & husband both had the NY strip and both were excellently prepared. I had the Orange Roughy and it was delicious and noticeably fresh NOT a frozen filet. The twice baked potatoes were also delicious. Salad bar is a meal by its self but, is included in entree.

My husband and son had wine and it was also very good. I ordered an Amaretto Sour and it was delicious.

The hostess checked on us to ask if we were doing ok twice, the servers were also so attentive with water filling and offering any add'l items we would want. Jason was an excellent waiter.

Reminds me of a family- owned small business not a mass steakhouse --but, small and attentive.

So, if we are in the area we will defiantly stop again

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Illinois City, Illinois
“Sea food buffet - avoid it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Went to Al's for the Friday night seafood buffet. Called to check on price, hostess said 15.95. Arrived and got seated. Waitress came to table and said buffet was 17.95 without the crab legs. So we went ahead and got the regular seafood buffet. The first stop was the salad bar. Most salads were fresh, but they had a whole poached salmon that had been picked to the bone and made no attempt to replace with a fresh one. Then we went to the "seafood" buffet. Breaded imitation shrimp, and most of the other fish was empty. Vegetables cold, chicken, cold, and a pan of ribs. We mentioned to both waitress and manager. Manager said "we dont put out alot because we like to keep it fresh". Final thoughts on his "seafood buffet", if you see any food, your the lucky one.

Joliet, Illinois
“Still as good as it was years ago.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Al's is the kind of place you know that you will not be disappointed. The Steaks are great and the Dinner specials leave you glad that you came here. The salad Bar reminds you of 1960's because it is loaded with all kinds of good things. I also love the way the food is brought to your table or your over sized booth on a rolling stainless steel cart ! Try the Sunday Brunch you will leave happy and full.

Visited January 2013