“Stay Away from Hollywood Casino - Joliet at all Costs” 1 of 5 stars

888-4-EMPRESS (US only), 815-744-9400
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 10 Attractions in Joliet
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Stay Away from Hollywood Casino - Joliet at all Costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I visited the Hollywood Casino - Joliet on Oct. 29, 2011 and was subjected to an unreasonable level of harassment by the security staff. After entering I went to get a players card. After waiting about 10 minutes a security officer, Irene Perkey, came out and asked me to follow her to the security office. I did this without objection not really knowing why this was. It turns out that they had a report on file that I was asked to leave the casino about 7 years ago. I asked to see the report but she was unable to find it.

I told her that this incident was totally false and that the security officer back then had mistaken me for someone else. She would not hear anything I said and was told to just sit down and shut up. She then wrote up a report that said that if I ever stepped foot on the premises of the Hollywood Casino - Joliet I would be thrown in jail. I have no idea where she was coming from but I let her fill out the report, and then refused to sign it because it included information that was totally untrue.

Is this the way they take care of their customers? Treat them like criminals when they have never done anything wrong. I have never encountered such misuse of power by the security staff of this casino and been subject to such humiliation when all I was trying to do was enjoy a quick hour of playing some slot machines before I went home. I was continuously told to just shut up and let her do her business.

Well, if this is the type of business that this casino wants to conduct then I would strongly suggest that you stay as far away from the Hollywood Casino - Joliet as you can. There are plenty of other casinos in the Chicago area that have a much friendlier customer relations attitude. That is, unless you enjoy being grilled by this type of petty power hungry security officer, who is probably doing things that is totally outside of the company policies.

STAY AWAY unless you want to be subjected to treatment like this. I thought you were supposed to go to a casino for entertainment, not to be read your rights and be subjected to jail time at no fault of yourself. I will never step foot into this casino ever again. I hope other customers read this and heed my advice. There is something dramatically wrong with what happened to me and I would not wish it on anyone else.

Visited October 2011

Plainfield, Illinois
“Just dont go...maybe they will be forced to change!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

This used to be the best place around for gambling. They had great video poker paytables and the blackjack was top notch...no hitting soft 17, splitting aces up to 4 times. I was also a platinum status player and before Hollywood took it over they had great comps. I would get multiple cash vouchers each week for $65 a piece, after Hollywood bought it I get one $5 cash voucher. What a joke and an insult! They simply dont take care of their players anymore and thats a shame. Harrahs has a much better comp system, and with its multiple Vegas properties at least you can get comped out there too. Games are bad at Harrahs too though but at least they take care of their players after cleaning them out.

Joliet, Illinois
“TOILET !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

That's the best word I can think of when I think of the empress casino. There slots are tighter than a canary's behind and all there video poker machines are beat up and rigged. The normal pay tables in the industry are 9-6 and empress machines go as low as 4-3 plus they compromise the RNG (random number generator) with a mathematical sequence that is unfavorable to the player. The software is manipulated since it is not regulated by the state gaming board so instead of using a single deck they go up to six decks and shuffle ten cards and that's why you notice the same pairs are always coming up and your always falling one short to the royal all the time. They target the senior citizens by constantly sending them advertisements and coupons to get free mops and other ridiculous gadgets and pray they get caught up in the moment and blow there retirement income .Also, these scam artists keep sending promotional items to the same people who are on the exclusion list and banned from entering again. Matter of fact, they were recently fined $600 thousand for provoking gambling addicts and sending them cash promotions.

Chicago, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
“Watch your pockets!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

They've got a new buffet, but watch out! First off, if you're not a 'privileged' member, you've got to wait until they are all taken care of first, no matter if you were next in line. They don't even give you the silverware from "that side" of the register counter. And you will be seated outside the roped-off area (which is no better seating, except that everyone knows you're 'big money'). If you pay with a credit or debit card, bam! they gotchya' again, tacking on a 16% "gratuity", but it won't show on the receipt. No one will tell you this. It's in the fine print, at the very bottom of the receipt that they place on the table when they seat you. You must read the receipt (if you remember to pick it up at all), which is usually after your meal (and after you have left your server a tip). Very sneaky and underhanded. As for the casino, it's all smoke, rather small, and meant for the rich and those not worried about losing big bucks. There are only a handful of less-than-25cent slots, which of course are always busy. If there's a recession, watching the folks in this casino would sure make you wonder. Finally, something that really threw me off balance--children--running up and down the hallways, in groups of 2, 3, 4 and more, aged around 2 (toddler) to 10+. There are signs posted that children are not to be left unattended. No matter. There are other sites to be seen and enjoyed by the entire family--save your money and visit downtown Chicago!

joliet
“Going downhill fast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

As the other poster pointed out, this used to be a decent casino a few years ago. Ever since the last year or so, the place is dead. I'm not sure if it's due to the smoking ban or the numerous other top-notch casinos going up in Indiana and Michigan, but I frankly don't know how this casino stays in business. I go on Fridays and Saturdays (peak casino days) and I almost fall asleep at the tables it's that slow. I think they need to follow Hammond Indiana's idea and gut the whole thing and start fresh....including getting rid of 90% of their gaming staff. I have never come across such rude dealers in all of my gaming experience. I've complained twice, they were that bad. And I hate to be suspicious because i'm sure it's unlikely, but everytime i play Blackjack, the cards are almost always in favor of the dealer. I've seen huge losses at this place more often than not and one can only suspect...You're better off going to Harrahs or the Horeshoe Casino. At least they give you a $5 comp every now and then.