“Great pub grub” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Jacksonville, Illinois
“Great pub grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Nice place for food and drink. Service is good. Price is reasonable. They are expanding so the extra seating will be nice. Locally owned and operated.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Awesome place to go!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a great bar to go to for many reasons!!! Several TV's for watching ball games!!! And the food and service are great!!! Try the loaded waffle fries!!! They are the best!!! Lots of bacon and cheese!!! We have been there three times now and we tried something different every time. No complaints on anything and believe me I am very picky!!! Very reasonably priced also!!!

Visited October 2013
“Place to try a Hourseshoe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

An awesome place to get a bar like atmosphere with non bar like food. The food was awesome and well put together. To be a small place this bar was a favorite of mine and absolutely someplace I will go to again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Illinois, USA
“Regular diners...big fans...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We live in Jacksonville and have been big fans of Mulligan's since it opened. We have an evening meal with them about twice a month.

The joint is LONG on atmosphere. The owners have done a great job rehabbing a very old building. You'd never know that it USED to be a photography studio. You WOULD think that you've walked into a building from about 1910. The brick, the bar, the ceiling...those are all great architectural attributes. The decor is sports pub with a lot of great articles and artifacts about local and area teams and stars (don't chuckle...we do have a star...Ken Norton who broke Muhammed Ali's jaw back in the 70's is a native of J-ville). The selections also reflect the schizophrenic baseball nature of the town...we have both Cards AND Cubs fans everywhere. Both camps are very devout in their support. So you have both well represented on the walls...although I think I happily detect a slight STL bias...but that just might be my own personal fandom creeping in.

The food is good...not great...but very good. It's probably a little more than what you would expect from a place that looks primarily like a bar. The "Irish" Nachos are awesome. No corn chips anywhere to be found...the "Nacho Chips" are crinkle potato slices. Potatoes, of course, in true Irish fashion.

I am a huge fan of the Reuben Pizza. I will usually get the "appetizer" (7 in.) pizza as an entree. It is the perfect size for one and the blend of sauerkraut, corned beef and thousand island dressing baked onto a soft pizza is fantastic and very unique. The "home made" appetizers are the best...like the hand made "Salt and Vinegar" chips. They do have some of the frozen, mass-produced, drop 'em into a deep fryer kinds of apps as well. You can usually pick those out because there will be a little table tent promoting them. Unless they have something that you know and enjoy, I tend to steer clear of those.

Seating is a problem at Mulligan's! It is a very narrow building! As you walk in, there will be tables along the right wall...bar to the left. The four-tops along the right are almost always full. If you have a large party there is a very cool big table situated at the front of the diningroom right in the front window. That's best for 6-8 or more in a group. The high top tables to the left before you get to the bar and along the back are great for a couple. They will serve food at the bar if you don't mind not facing your dinner companions.

If the weather is good, DON'T MISS THE BEER GARDEN!! You have to go all the way through the bar...down the hallway to the left...past the bathrooms...past the kitchen and, basically, out into the alley. But the reward is a VERY COOL beer garden/dining space that was added, I believe, in the spring of 2012. There is an outdoor bar, well done brick and wood decking, quite a bit of seating, privacy fence around the whole thing and you can get the complete menu out there as well. If the weather is good, the beer garden is a great choice and it really helps with the seating/waiting issues that you will encounter most weekends and evenings.

Mulligan's has a "Cheers" feel for the locals. I rarely go in that I don't see several friends and acquaintances from my church or the Rotary Club. This is NOT a college bar or a kids bar. The music is never too loud and it is usually classic rock. Any sporting event that is happening anywhere in the world at the time you visit will be up on the screens placed behind the bar and around the diningroom. If a Cards and/or Cubs game is on...expect it to be on SEVERAL of the screens.

We are a very easy going, polite, fun-loving Midwestern town so don't feel put off if you AREN'T from around here. We welcome visitors. We've done a HUGE amount of work to the downtown area and we are very proud of it. Mulligan's is a big part of keeping the new downtown area vital and well used. If you are passing through, please find your way to the Jacksonville square and enjoy a sandwich, a pizza or a beer at Mulligan's or any of our other great restaurants. (and, no, I don't work the the Convention and Visitor's Bureau...I'm just a big fan of Jacksonville).

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pleasant Plains, Illinois
“Everyone loves this place....I guess I need to give it one more shot....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I work very close buy so I went with a co-worker here for lunch. The restaurant itself is very cool on the inside....the wood work and building craftsmanship is very cool. The food however was very disappointing! I was really wanting to love this place too! I ordered the pork tenderloin pony shoe. The waitress was very busy but we had good service. Once we finally got our food my pork tenderloin was burnt on the bottom and there was not enough cheese sauce. The cheese sauce was very good but just needed an extra ladle of it. My friend ordered the breaded chicken pony shoe or at least that's what she thought she was getting....
Menu says breaded chicken pony shoe but she received buffalo chicken pony shoe. She doesn't do well with hot food so she only ate the fries and took the rest home to her husband.
I am going to give them one more shot hoping that the kitchen just had an off day....Hopefully I'll be back to give them a good review!

Visited May 2013