“If It Is A New Restaurant…We Have To Give It A Try” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Frankfort, Illinois
“If It Is A New Restaurant…We Have To Give It A Try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Cottage On Dixie opened about six week ago; January 26, 2013. The owners have taken an old plain vacant restaurant building and transformed it into a very attractive and welcoming upscale dining establishment. Inside you find a warm comfortable room complete with exposed wood rafters and a waiting area with a burning fireplace. Lighting and other aesthetics compliment the interior.

My spouse and I along with another couple decided to dine there on Saturday Night. Not knowing how busy it would be we made reservations for 5:30 p.m. Upon arrival we were promptly greeted by pleasant front desk staff and taken to our table. Soon thereafter, although he apologized (why I do not know) for not being there sooner, our Server Zach was tableside. He was an extremely friendly person and you could tell he wanted to make our experience at The Cottage a great one. He very enthusiastically shared with us some of the history of the new restaurant including the staffs’ general training and education regarding the menu items. Upon request, he described his favorite menu items. In addition to our server there appeared to be many other staff present to assist. Water, bread and butter quickly found their way to our table and were replenished as needed. Interesting “amuses” (you have to visit to find out about these) were provided for our dining enjoyment.

The menu is very interesting. Although ample in variety, it is somewhat smaller than what you sometimes see. Emphasis is placed on fresh and organic whenever possible. For entrées my spouse and I both chose the seared duck while our “dinner mates” had the smoked scallops and lamb selections. Preparation and presentation of all three selections were very nice and all entrées were delicious. Everything was prepared to our wishes. I was pleased that sides were somewhat atypical and different from the potatoes, beans, and peas that you usually see. One of our side dishes was rutabaga and I was thrilled. I only can hope that brussel sprouts show up soon. Portions were sufficient however; our dining companion thought the lamb selection could have been slightly larger. My wife says that I am picky however; I would have liked everything to be a “touch” warmer; that is just me. We all finished the meal with crème brulee, coffee, tea, or a cappuccino.

Throughout the evening, our server and the ancillary wait staff returned to our table to check on everything, replenish items if needed, and quickly clear dishes when appropriate. All were quite efficient. We were never rushed or hurried and were allowed to have a leisurely dining experience from entrée selection to last cup of coffee.

It was a very enjoyable dining experience. It is nice to have an upscale restaurant near by and we hope that it will have a long and successful history in Homewood. I am confident that we will soon dine there again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Flossmoor, Illinois
“Nice Treat in Homewood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The place is gorgeous inside. The service was wonderful - our server was Linda and she was very courteous, professional, and warm. The food was very good. I had lunch and ordered the roasted vegetable sandwich on focacia bread with the cucumber salad on the side. I really enjoyed it because the portion was perfect, the setting was rustic, and a nice treat without having to drive downtown.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hermosa Beach, California
“Food more for Chi-town palate.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Recently opened 2013, beautifully bricked inside and out gives you a feel of beinbg "somewhere your not". The very small lunch menu featured many delectable satisfiers from soups, salads with a daily changing menu. Lunch seperate than dinner. I fully enjoyed the luncheon lobster roll. The side cucumber sald culd have nee a bit larger for the price. My dad ordered the duck prosciutto (since we are proscuitto people) with the fried duck egg, fries & the house made catsup. Kids, do not order the catsup. LOLOL! It was a tasy condiment but very thin and more orange-ish in color nd nothing cloes to Heinz!. He agreed that proscuitto should be kept to uncured ham, not duck! The dining silverware is brought to you on a flat wooden tray and beautifully shaped white plates offered an upscaled touch. If in the area, I will go back because if you look at the menu, there are many tasty inventions that would spark up one's palate.

• Visited February 2013