Yes you read it right. Here is why.
I have traveled ALL over the Midwest attending conventions of all sorts where I have stayed at every name chain and mom & pop place that you can shake a stick at. With that said here goes.
1. It is far none the worst place I have ever stayed at, ever! Was booked for two days, left after 4 hours after checking in without any refund.
2. A vacuum has never seen these carpets. Stains, paper, wrappers, etc. you name it.
3. Main floor bathrooms (men) near to the only two suites that they rent out for everything, were god awful. # of 6 urinals had white plastic garbage bags around them because they didn't work, TP rolled out all over, half in the toilets, some in the urinals (looked like a bad frat party movie), toilets were pulled and filled with feces that were there for days because it was already harden (with flies) sitting the water. Yes I did bring this up to two workers and front desk, all told me that somebody with be coming in to fix and clean by either Tuesday or Wednesday. FYI: This was Saturday.
4. Went to my room, air conditioner didn't work because switch on wall was open with switch hanging there (called, 20+ minutes later, then re-twisting the wires together, got it to work).
5. In my room started to unpack and founded that I had "guests" in the bathroom, cockroaches and (yes, there is an and) called down to front desk (call two) looked up, saw four centipedes running across my ceiling as I was telling that person about the other guests, which she replied, I quote, "Don't worry. They don't eat much." Hung up and decided to go elsewhere.
6. Now with bags in hand (again) at front desk waiting for clerk, one of the workers approached me and asked what was the problem was, and told him. He looked at me and asked me a question. I wish I could make this up, I can't. "Why was I staying at a ALL black hotel?" Which I replied "Excuse me?" "Its an all black guests only hotel sir." (Yes, I am white male that is married to a beautiful proud black woman for over 20 years, with two intelligent black young women).
7. Didn't go into every other problem, and no, I am not a perfectionist by all means.
Why was I booked at Homewood Hotel? My convention was being held there (and did continue for its two days), which had a very segregated group of dealers and buyers came not knowing that they had all booked there rooms at a black only hotel. Never again. Anybody of any color, should avoid such a racist place a business.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well-appointed 188 sleeping rooms and suites. Homewood Hotel and Conference Center, award winning the Circle Restaurant, the Filling Station Lounge and Triple Crown Banquet and Meeting Rooms, a full service property. Full complimentary breakfast Omelets, Pancake, sausage or bacon, Choice of eggs, coffee, juice, toast, Hot/Cold cereals; milk etc. served daily 6:00AM - 9:00AM in dining room. A block south of I-80 / I-294 on south Halsted street exit ( IL Hwy 1 ). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity so you can book your Homewood Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.