“Below par for a Hilton property” 2 of 5 stars

Book Now & Save 25%
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Hoffman Estates
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Holland
“Below par for a Hilton property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed here during a business trip and was disappointed with the level of comfort of the rooms. It is all very dated, some rooms have new, modern LCD TV's while others have old ones.

The mattress in my room was very bad, I slept in a valley that night.
I already switched rooms once during this stay and didn't feel like going through the whole hassle again. Next time, I'll take my business elsewhere, there is plenty of choice around, including other Garden Inns which are more up to par.

Check-in was fine and according to expectation. Breakfast is also very good.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
HGIGMHoffmanEstates, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Travelguy0-

Greetings and thanks for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor! I'm sorry that your experience was less than enjoyable, but I'm happy to let you know that we are slated for renovation this coming winter. At this time all rooms will be updated, including flat screen TV's.

I will make sure to let the staff know you enjoyed breakfast; they love to hear good feedback. We hope that you will give us another chance as we appreciate your business. Regards-

Ed Dixon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

Property was fine. Staff was nice, breakfast was good. No problems as mentioned in other posts. I will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Chicago Suburb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Check in was a breeze. Room was very clean, bedding nice. Pool area was small, but well taken care of. Water was comfortable to swim in.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Bridgeton, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

check in, not very friendly staff. Room-very dated. Had called eariler in the week to discuss multiple stays for extended period of time. Left 2 message for the manager who handle the sales/marketing and no one returned my call. In addition, left a message for the office admin and again no-one returned my call. I came to the hotel anyway because I wanted to check it out for my other stays and since I will be bringing a sales crew out, I wanted a fairly good,adequate and pretty satisfactory hotel and I am glad that I have checked it out. This Hilton Hotel definitely was not what I expected from a "Hilton" product.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Matthew_HGIHoffman, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the unfortunate occurrence you experienced with the Hilton Garden Inn and the non-responsiveness from the Sales Office. As the Director of Sales here at the hotel, I’ve been in the industry for 20+ years and am very dedicated to ensuring complete guest satisfaction by providing a high level of service and hospitality to all our guests. I am truly sorry that you did not receive a response from myself or my staff. Please contact me directly at 847-277-8754 so that I may speak with you and hopefully be able to rectify the situation and educate you on our upcoming rooms renovation. Our team is committed to exceeding your guests expectations. I hope you will give us the opportunity to show you how much we value your business.
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

My stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, Hoffman Estates, was booked at a scandalously low rate via an online service where you name your own price. Nevertheless, the accommodation was everything I expected for this grade of hotel. The property was well marked and easy to find with convenient highway access. The parking area and sidewalks (even at the back/emergency exits) were well-salted during this sub-freezing weather, and I was glad the management was conscientious about winter safety. Check-in was a painless; I was offer my choice of king bed or double queens. The property also offers a small swimming pool, business center, and exercise room (none of which did I avail myself).

My room was clean, quiet, spacious, and climate control worked properly. It was well appointed, with a closet, wooden hangers, ironing board, steam iron, refrigerator, microwave oven, in-room coffee maker (and lobby coffee as well), ice bucket with glass tumblers, attractive carpeting, upholstered chair, television with 20+ channels, bureau with drawers, night stands, lamps, work desk with adjustable task chair & lamp, and free wireless internet. And two telephones. Bedding was comfortable, with a nice firm mattress and clean fitted and top sheets. No signs whatsoever of insects (I did inspect the bedding carefully) and I experienced no pestilence.

The bathroom was clean and well lit, had adequate ventilation, large spotless mirror, faux-marble countertops, clean and absorbent bath towels, hand towels, and washcloths. Liquid amenities included shampoo, conditioner, skin lotion, and mouthwash. Two moderate-sized bars of soap were provided. The tub/shower was clean and the shower curtain rod was of the bowed-out style. Water pressure was satisfactory and the water nicely hot, although a little finicky to adjust.

A full breakfast buffet and a continental breakfast is available (at reasonable cost) in the lobby during the morning hours, and a shuttle is available during weekdays for local travel within 5 miles (no airport transit). Directly across the highway (Barrington Rd) is a 30-screen multiplex movie theatre. If you drive across the tollway, just to the south there is a variety of fast food, casual, and semi-casual dining available, and about a mile farther south is a large grocery store and a major-chain drug store.

My stay was perfect, and I would preferentially stay at this hotel again in the future should my travel take me to this region, and I would not hesitate to pay full rack rate here. Terrific property.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I stayed at the hotel for one night during a trip to Chicago. The hotel is right off of the interstate close to many restaurants and shopping. I didn't take advantage of the hiking/biking trails nearby but they looked fantastic. The hotel rooms include free internet but no free continental breakfast. The pool and fitness center are extremely small. The beds are very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Marlboro, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

I see there are previous reports of bedbugs and the hotel continues to have issues. My wife and I stayed there this September, and she now has bed bug bites all over her arms and upper body. We went to the doctor who confirmed that it is bed bug bites. I just went through previous reviews, and the hotel claims there were no bed bugs. Obviously they have a bed bug issue, and should do something about it. I hope I can help other travelers from this experience.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Matthew_HGIHoffman, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Readers,

Hello again from the Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates! Thanks for taking the time to read our response. In this particular instance, we have spoken to the guest (and their daughter due to language barriers) at length regarding their claim. We are only now replying to this posting because we felt it necessary to have all the information prior to making a statement.

Here are the facts in chronological order.

This guest checked into the hotel on September 17th. They stayed three nights and departed September 20th. On October 2nd (nearly two weeks after checkout) the customer contacted Hilton Guest Assistance to register this compliant. This is also the day the traveler posted their comments to Trip Advisor. Between September 20th and October 2nd, the room was occupied by 5 different guests for a total of 11 nights. As of today (6 weeks later) we have not received any reports other than this particular guest.

Upon being contacted by Hilton Guest Assistance on October 8th, we immediately contacted the guest and opened a claim with our general liability provider. We took immediate action and placed this room “out of order” so that we could inspect this serious claim. After a thorough inspection, the room tested negative for bed bugs.

Additionally, in the rp1272 posting, they elude to previous issues at our property. In the 26 Trip Advisor posts, there is no mention of pest problems.

Here are the facts about bed bugs: Bed bugs were common in the U.S. before World War II and became rare after widespread use of the pesticides 1940s and 1950s. They remained prevalent in other areas of the world and, in recent years, have been increasingly observed again in the U.S. (especially the Northeast). Increases in immigration and travel from the developing world as well as restrictions on the use of stronger pesticides are factors that have led to the relatively recent increase in bed bug infestations. In most cases, guests carry bed bugs into hotels unknowingly, in infested luggage, clothing, blankets, and pillows.

As a hotel, we are aware of the growing concern of bed bugs and proactively take preventive measures to control the risk. We work with Ecolab who is an expert at inspecting and solving these types of issues. We have very stringent policies and procedures in place to prevent this type of incident from occurring. Once an incident is confirmed, pest control specialists are able to contain the problem quickly. Total infestations are extremely rare and often dramatized by the media.

Thanks again for taking the time to read our rebuttal. We encourage you to draw your own conclusion.

Matthew Kramer

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates? Share your experiences!