“A perfect, dream holiday with amazing staff” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
30% off New Year Specials
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Niyama
London, United Kingdom
“A perfect, dream holiday with amazing staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We spent 12 nights at Niyama in October of this year and can't rate it highly enough. From our welcome on the jetty with ice-cold flannels and watermelon cocktails, to our first view of our water villa with private plunge pool, we knew this would be the holiday of a lifetime - and it was. Imagine a tropical paradise ... you think it can't possibly be like that, but the sand really is that fine and perfect, the sea really is several shades of crystal blue and green, and the breeze really is scented and warm every day. We travelled as two adults with a 17 year old son and it suited all of us: sunbathing, swimming, snorkelling (sooo many fish, tame as you like, in just a few feet of clear water in the lagoon), boat rides, jetskis, scuba diving, and the best food and drink in each of several bars and restaurants. We had an especially fantastic meal at Edge, offshore above the underwater nightclub - but all the food was good and totally fresh, with some exciting twists such as the South African themed menu at the campsite restaurant, Tribal. But perhaps the most outstanding feature of our holiday was the staff at Niyama. The General Manager, Nigel, was completely charming and his staff obviously takes huge pride in working at a superior resort. We would like especially to mention Yusef (I'm not sure of the spelling, sorry) our thakura (butler); Ani and Ricardo, our favourite waiting staff; and above all Nishan, who served us cocktails at the Dune bar on the beachfront. Nishan could not have been more accommodating and friendly, always keeping an eye out to see what we needed and welcoming us every time with fresh towels, iced water and a smile. This kind of touch completely made our stay, and I've seen other reviews which claim the same thing: we strangely felt - and still do - part of a Niyama 'family' and we miss all the guys out there! Almost every week we talk about our trip and how much we would like to return. Honestly, you couldn't have a better holiday - get out there, and enjoy it. I'm so jealous!!

Room Tip: We stayed at the water villa with private plunge pool on the sunrise side of the lagoon - but from w...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
NiyamaGM, General Manager at NIYAMA Maldives, a Per AQUUM Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Hilary

Thank you so much for your fabulous review following your recent stay at NIYAMA.

I really enjoyed meeting you and your family during your time on the island and it is wonderful to hear that the memories of your stay still linger and that you have told so many people about NIYAMA!

I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team - I know that everybody is extremely grateful for your kind words of praise.

I hope to see you back on the island sometime soon!

Nigel Pace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at Niyama for a week on our honeymoon in October.
First of all the place is absolutely stunning and the service is top notch! For instance we really liked the local crisps that are provided for free in the minibar, the staff obviously noticed and gave us extra for free each day when they cleaned the room. Little personal touches like this really made the difference.
Rooms are amazing no matter what category you go for you are never more than a few steps away from the turquoise ocean & the outdoor bathrooms are absolutely stunning.
Food is also very very good although be prepared to pay for it (expect to pay circa $300 a night for food & drink for 2 people) our favourite restaurant was Tribal, although we would highly recommend a visit to the Edge offshore restaurant as the location is stunning! Be sure to pay a visit to Subsix (the underwater nightclub) it is a gimmick but well worth a visit even if only for one drink after dinner at the Edge. Normally it is quite empty but we were lucky to meet some other fun loving couples and ended up getting the boat back to the island around 4am :-)
If you like a drink with dinner we would also recommend the main restaurant Epicure, as they offer a bottomless wine package with dinner for $25, which is very cheap for the Maldives!
We also did quite a few activities although the snorkelling around the island is pretty good, we saw small reefs sharks and countless other fish! We would highly recommend the coral garden snorkelling trip, on which we to do some free diving alongside some turtles which was an incredible experience!
If like me you have never dived before, I would highly recommend that you give it a try as there is no better place to try it than the Maldives. My instructor was Ethan was very good & your first dive out in the ocean is something you will never forget! In fact I enjoyed it so much I went on to do the PADI Scuba course.
If you haven't already guessed we would highly recommend Niyama, yes it is expensive. But you get what you pay for and with the high quality of the food and service we believe it is defiantly worth it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Olly

Thank you so much for your detailed review following your recent stay at NIYAMA.

It certainly seems like you got the full experience during your time with us - from exquisite meals to partying underwater, snorkelling at the coral garden and obviously your first dive!

A few days ago I took my own first dive and I agree with you fully - it is something I will never forget!

Wishing you all the best for a long, happy married life together.

Come back soon!

Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Just came back from Niyama and still can't believe what a perfect place we have been to... stunning. It offers luxury experience of Maldives island but with a soul. We have traveled with a 8 month baby and all we can say is that Niyama is super baby friendly and more than that. Aways smiling and available staff, excellent hospitality and service made our stay pleasant beyond words. We have managed to rest, explore the ocean and island's beautiful nature, enjoy the great food in romantic ambient...

We would really like to thank all the staff, especially Nigel the GM (thanks for taking care about us), Aman, Bruno, our butler Yoosuf, and the water sport crew, Shazeel who found our GoPro camera after we have lost it during the snorkling :) Special thanks to HR Director Ivan and "Habibi" Bastian.

Niyama - thank you for a dream vacation! We hope that one day we will meet again.

Dusan, Mysun & Viktor

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dusan, Mysun & Viktor

Thank you so much for the wonderful review following your recent stay at NIYAMA.

It was wonderful to meet you all during your time with us and I am delighted to hear that you had such a memorable family holiday. The people mentioned in the review and the rest of the team are truly grateful for your kind words of praise. Hats off to Shazeel for finding your GoPro in our (pretty large) lagoon!

Best wishes to the whole family and hope to have you back on the island soon.

Kind regards

Syt albans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a wonderful week in Nyiama to celebrate my husbands 50th. Everything was amazing from the friendly staff to the facilities . Even Nigel the manager arranged a sunrise breakfast on the beach for us which was so romantic and such a wonderful surprise with lights naff a table set out for breakfast. The spa was fantastic , with great therapists. Finolla in the deli made such great sandwiches and with a lovely smile. I could go on and on and am sure I have bored everyone at home with my photos. Thank you for a holiday we will never forget and to making new friends which helped share this experience , Ian and Mandy.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Ian and Mandy

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post a review on your stay at NIYAMA.

It was wonderful meeting you during your stay and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, particularly the early morning sunrise breakfast on the beach!

Looking forward to having you back with us in the not-too-distant future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Almost..Close to perfect. Stunning, Beyond words. Though the price kinda steep & is towards luxury category, it is definitely worth paying for. Upon reaching the prestigious resort, We were being pampered like Royals. Our butler was Muis! He was showered us with excellent hospitality and customer service & I would want to give him a salute for this! Anytime of the day, Just a call, he would arrive with his "mini transport" to pick us up anytime, anywhere..We don't even need to walk, this made us really pampered &..lazy as well. Haha! We had our holiday on the Watervilla with swimming pool facing Sunset, the view was worth paying for! The amenities also include luxury items, modern interior and spacious bathroom. Big enough for us to dance around :) The pool was really clean, & seems like they have certain minerals in the pool to maintain the hygiene. Beside this, the sea is just 5-6 stairs down from the pool zone..& Wow, this stun me again! Baby Sharks! Little Nemo seem to be everywhere.. :)The sea adventure was exciting and interesting..especially outsea towards another island, for snorkeling! It was another WOW, the corals and reef..speechless, when you put God creation and nature together. The only losing point would be, certain China individual making too much noise:( Anyway! Thanks God, we happen to encounter the beautiful fishes, rare sea turtle and golden reef, we went one round along the island with our safety vest of cause..the wave were quite strong, but safety guidelines was there. With professional swimmers and divers, so nothing much to worry so long you follow them closely! Afterwhich, we went jogging/walking Niyama island for one round..taking photos every little single corner..and there were hermit crabs were all over the place! The food was very appetizing, especially Tribal and the Underwater Subsix..though the portion is kinda little but the food melts in the mouth! Ok, Missing the food already! We had our Spa as well over at Lime, the ambiance and atmosphere again caught our breath. Never seen/experienced something like this.. :) My Partner & myself had our Solemnization over @ Niyama on the November 2nd 2013, I did see additional efforts being committed; with all the creation/decoration and coordination of the groom & bride! I would like to Thanks the Photographers, Muis & our Wedding Minister, Thumbs up for the effort & Niyama for this..impossible to forget & memorable journey. I'm also glad that I selected Niyama, as the choice for our Solemnization 2nd November 2013

(Negative points) Unfortunately. We missed our flights at Male Airport due to seaplane delay, weather condition. But the service provided by Niyama, compensated everything.. :)

Came as Couple
Left as Husband & Wife

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mario

Thank you so much for your Tripadvisor review following your stay at NIYAMA.

It is so wonderful to hear that you had such a memorable time with us and that it was capped off by a lovely ceremony on the beach with your wife.

I wish you all the very best for a long, happy life together and hope to welcome you back to NIYAMA sometime soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Just back from 6 nights at niyama with my boyfriend and it certainly lived up to our expectations of a perfect maldives island experience. I am pretty fussy about what constitutes 5* so I think overall this resort deserves a 5* rating.. Here are the resorts positives and negatives so this review can serve to be useful..

Positives:

- the beachfront villas on the sunset side would be my top choice especially from villa 14 onwards where the beach is wider.

-the service was the highlight. The staff on the island were incredibly hard working, polite, attentive and take pride in their each of the jobs they do and never stop smiling! It was really lovely to see this.

- the spa was top notch for treatments. I have had c.100+ massages worldwide so I can say with assurance the 2 Balinese therapists I had (one was called duni) were truly amazing. I would come back for their treatments alone!

- Food overall is decent. but the buffet dinner nights we sampled did leave a lot to be desired sadly especially given the price. The breakfast, though, was very good with plenty of choice. Edge (the water restaurant) was very good fancy food and worth going to once or twice. The underwater bar was hilarious albeit a bit too much of a gimmick as in reality no one is in the Maldives to go to a nightclub!

Negatives:
- I didn't particularly enjoy the experience of getting a sea plane over from male to niyama but this is just my personal preference. it takes about 50 mins and is very hot and uncomfortable. If you stay on the sunset side of the island there will be about 4-5 sea planes a day which land and take off infront of you. At first this was disturbing but after a couple of days you get used to seeing and hearing them so they don't bother you and the beautiful sunsets more than makes up for it.

- the coral/snorkelling around the island itself is very limited which was a shame though you can go on day trips arranged by the aquatic centre to neighbouring islands for better coral.

Overall this was a perfect holiday for us and we truly enjoyed every day we had in this little island bubble . I would strongly recommend coming here and you wont be disappointed. The vibe is very relaxed, intimate and each day just melts into one. We would like to extend our thanks to all the staff who take so much pride in their work. My favourite was watching the daily beach combers go about their work with such precision!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
NiyamaGM, General Manager at NIYAMA Maldives, a Per AQUUM Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Isabel

It is wonderful to hear that you had a very positive experience overall, however I am so sorry for the shortcomings you were faced with during your time with us.

The kind feedback on service around the resort and the Spa is hugely appreciated.

Your comments on your seaplane flights are well noted and there is no doubt that the experience can be a little bit uncomfortable at times. On a positive note, the remoteness of NIYAMA means that there are much less disturbances from planes and boats that resorts closer to Male generally have to contend with.

Once again, thank you for the valuable feedback. I do look forward to welcoming you back to NIYAMA in the not-too-distant future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We booked Niyama for our honeymoon as we wanted all out, budget blowing luxury and we were not disappointed. From the moment we stepped off the sea plane and were greeted by Nigel the GM and our personal Thakaru, we knew we'd made a great decision. What makes this resort stand out is the unparalelled levels of service. My husband suffers from a nut allergy which can be a little troublesome when dining out, especially abroad. Every member of staff was fully aware of this and before we dined for dinner the chef would personally advise my husband which dishes were suitable for him. The staff, although busy, will go out of their way to ensure your stay is as perfect as you imagine it should be. On our first night I was bitten by a mosquito, totally my own fault for not wearing any deet. We mentioned it to our Thakaru who informed the head of housekeeping. Every day our room was sprayed down to ensure this didn't happen again and an array of complimentary mosquito repellents left for us to use.

You can't go to the Maldives and not explore the ocean and I would highly recommend you do. We booked a few trips and, although quite pricey, they really made our holiday special. I highly recommend hiring a speedboat for half a day. Guided by two crew members, we went snorkelling at the nearby house reef, saw the dolphins swimming along with our boat and relaxed on our very own sandbank. My husband was also very eager to try the big game fishing, enticed by tales of other guests catching tuna, red snappers and sail fish. We embarked at 5am and returned several hours later with a large red grouper which the chef cooked for us for dinner that evening. We did hear that nearly every day a guest seemed to be catching a sail fish and the hotel were considering implementing a catch and release policy for that species and I really hope they have. I know if we'd caught one it would have gone straight back in! A great experience even if we didn't catch that tuna.

On our final morning we were really reluctant to leave. We'd had a perfect week and I think if someone would have offered us the option to stay another week we would of snapped it up! When you get on the sea plane and wave goodbye to Niyama there is a little piece of your heart that knows that no holiday is ever going to match up to the one you've just had, making it really hard to say goodbye. We would like to say thanks to all the staff, especially Nigel the GM, a refreshingly honest, conscientious, down to earth guy, always up for a chat and very aware of his guests. Also to Nishan the trainee sommelier who really helped make our stay a great one. This guy knows his drinks and has a brilliant sense of humour too. Another genuinely nice man. If you are off to stay here, seek him out and say hello!

Niyama - thank you for a perfect honeymoon and I am still dreaming that one day we will get to meet again.

Room Tip: For total privacy ask for Deluxe Water Villa no.53
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NiyamaGM, General Manager at NIYAMA Maldives, a Per AQUUM Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Tara

Thank you so much for your Tripadvisor review on your honeymoon at NIYAMA.

It was lovely meeting Ben and yourself during your time with us and I am extremely grateful for the wonderful words of praise about the resort, and particularly the compliments towards my colleagues.

It is great to hear that we made such an impression on you and that you still think of us with such fond memories, even a few months after your stay.

Your anniversary is coming up soon enough, so I hope to see you back on the island to celebrate!

Nigel Pace

Been to NIYAMA Maldives, a Per AQUUM Resort? Share your experiences!