“Perfect Honeymoon Destination” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Komandoo
Beijing, China
“Perfect Honeymoon Destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

the people there are very nice ,and it is really a wonderful and quiet place to live in !
I went there with my husband and our friends(a couple) ,we spend a very impressive hoilday there REALLY~!
PS:there is a tiny mistake about our room ,we booked 2 water villa but there is only one for us ,but they told us can fix it by spending our last days on there sister island KAREDU ,with a upgrade ,and we agreed.It turned out that it is also amazing in KAREDU. but next time we preferred to stay .KAREDU is too big for us and I hate paking up!
inadditon,there is a factory island near by,and during sunset tiime ,it'll be a little noisey,and sometimes smelly.But we still love this small island ,(the noise is so small my husband didn't noticed ).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickdeStaercke, General Manager at Komandoo Maldive Island Resort, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Maruhaba and Sunny Greetings from Komandoo Island Resort & Spa. Many thanks for taking the time and writing such a kind review.

I am glad you enjoyed your holiday with us as did your friends.
Its great you took the opportunity to see other Island.

I am glad to see that you want to come back till then safe travels.

Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We chose Komandoo after reading all the positive reviews on this site and walked away feeling like we made the perfect choice. This island is exactly what we were looking for: No kids, not too big, a good selection of excursions and activities, great amenities, and a stunning house reef.

Getting there:
We booked our airfare through Turkish Airlines and I would not do that again. We originally were suppose to arrive in Male at 10:50am, giving us plenty of time to catch the sea plane to Komandoo since they only operate from dawn to dusk. Our flight was delayed 9hrs with no reason given, the Turkish Airlines staff had no idea why. All they could tell us was that it was a 9hr delay.

When we finally arrived in Male, it was too late to catch a seaplane. So the representative told us they would arrange transportation and a hotel to Male so we can spend the night and he or another representative would come to the hotel at 5:15am to pick us up and take us to the seaplane. He stated the hotel would cost $150 and the transportation there and back would be free so we went with his advice.

Got to the hotel, checked in. Looked online and found out the hotel only costs $48 per night on Agoda. Next morning, waited in the lobby for about 45 minutes and no representative ever came. Got tired of waiting and caught our own cab to the ferry which took us to the airport.

So the lesson here is if something similar happens, just book your own hotel and arrange your own transportation to and from the hotel, its simple and will save you alot of money.

Komandoo:

When we finally reached Komandoo, all our stress and frustration from getting here went away. Patrick greeted us upon arrival and the stay was perfect. I wont repeat everything thats been said already but just know the previous reviews are true to their word. This island is paradise! We felt like we had the island to ourselves. The windsurfing was fun, kayaking was excellent, snorkeling was superb. Even the pool was refreshing. There is nothing negative I can say about the resort itself. Being our first time at the Maldives, we were so impressed with Komandoo we don't even want to try the other resorts. They had an offer to stay at Kuredu Resort in a Sultan Pool Villa for Jacuzzi water Villas patrons and we were so happy with Komandoo we declined. Why would we want to go to an island about 3x the size when we had what seemed like an island all to ourselves?

July Weather:

We went in the beginning of July, in what was suppose to be the low monsoon season. Speaking with the island employees they said it usually rains for most parts of the day and you usually get an hour of sunshine here and there. If that is usually the case we were extremely lucky. The days were sunny and hot and when it did rain it happened at night when we were just relaxing indoors or on our deck anyways. The sunset side of the island was rather windy and the sunrise side was nice and calm.

Spa and Candlelight Dinner:

The massage at the spa was above average. Well worth the upgrade from the welcome massage if you purchase the all inclusive package. I surprised my wife with the Romantic Candlelight Dinner they offer and I would recommend this to anyone wanting to add more romance to an already romantic trip. This was one of the highlights of our vacation. We had our own part of the beach in a nice little setup with our waiter from the buffets there the whole time. Ended up having a 4 hour dinner. Well worth the money, and the lobster was huge! I dont want to give away the little surprises they have so I wont say anymore.

Side Note: Its very easy to get yourself locked out of the room in the Jacuzzi Water Villas, but its an easy swim to get help if you lock yourself out on the deck like we did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickdeStaercke, General Manager at Komandoo Maldive Island Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Maruhaba and Sunny Greetings from Komandoo Island Resort & Spa. Many thanks for taking the time and writing such a perfect review.

The information you have shared at the beginning will surely help others which is just great.

I am so pleased to read all went so well and only wished there had been a little more wind for your Windsurf, however for your first time you did an excellent job.

I am so pleased you did the romantic dinner and as you say its a wonderful experience to be with your loved one under the stars as you listen to the sea water lap around you.

Its great to know that you want to come back and as you come from LA wow its quite the distance. Well I hope to see you next year till then safe travels.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

What can we say; the reviews speak for themselves hence why we booked Komandoo for our first trip to the Maldives.

Having always stayed in 5* resorts around the world we thought this may be a slight step down as it is officially classed as 4*, but how we were wrong. The island & resort are absolutely amazing. Everything from the bed linen to the sand outside is pristine.

The staff must be the most 'genuinely' friendly & helpful we have come across in all our many travels. Everything about Komandoo is also so relaxed which was exactly what we want in a holiday. From Patrick at the top to the staff clearing the leaves around the island, nothing is too much & a 'chilled out chat is always welcomed.

We had a situation where I was stung by a jellyfish, but 'not to worry', I was treated & advised on how to best clear the sting. The staff even went to the extent of asking if we would be ok if they sang a welcome song for new visitors to the island as they felt we may be upset. The wife & I were truly astonished at their level of concern for us.

The food was perfect & having your own personal waiter together with chefs that always had a smile on their face made it all the better.

Rooms were turned down in true romantic fashion with bed linen folded every night in such a way to imitate a new theme.

To top it off, all cruises & outings we went on were of such a high standard we will definitely be going on the same cruises next time we visit.

Oh yes, & the Duniya Spa was out of this world, I can still feel the hot stones!!!

Keep up the tremendous work Patrick. Can’t wait to visit again soon.

Room Tip: Manta Ray 9 is like having your own island - so private
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickdeStaercke, General Manager at Komandoo Maldive Island Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Maruhaba and Sunny Greetings from Komandoo Island Resort & Spa. Many thanks for taking the time and writing such a 5***** review.

I am so pleased to read you loved your holiday and yes the team is a credit to this wonderful piece of Paradise.

We take great pride in our cusine and for now are growing are own lettuce, Chili (hot hot) basil and other types of herbs. Catering for are international guests I believe we have got it right which also always includes some national curries.

I glad to read the team managed the sting well, does not happen often but we must be prepared.
Tip of the day if not in a resort or near shops cand you go for a dip in the sea always have a small bottle of white vinegar this will stop the sting and the pain.

As always the room boys take great pride in making the rooms look great with small touches.
Agreed the ladies at the Spa are amazing.

I look forward to your return visit, till then safe travels.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I came to Komandoo for our honeymoon, and wow, it was so much better than either of us could ever have imagined. The rooms were incredible, and the attention to detail was second to none. Even down to our bed linen being folded origami-style into a heart and decorated with flower petals for our arrival. The food was amazing, all-you-can-eat buffet style but cooked to order in front of you and the chefs were great fun, providing some cracking entertainment while they served exactly what you asked for. The fish was all caught earlier that morning, talk about fresh!

All the staff were absolutely fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and they were very friendly. Overall we would thoroughly recommend it and we can't wait to return to Komandoo for our next anniversary

• Stayed September 2012
PatrickdeStaercke, General Manager at Komandoo Maldive Island Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Maruhaba and Sunny Greetings from Komandoo Island Resort & Spa. Many thanks for taking the time and writing such a heavenly review.

Congratulations and thank you so much for choosing Komandoo as your Honeymoon destination. I am please to read all went so well.

The room boys take great joy looking after our guests and yes they do quite some amazing decorations. The chefs have great fun interacting with the guests at the same time producing some incredible cuisine.

Thank you so much for the kind remarks about the staff and we look-forward welcoming you back for your 1 year anniversary.

Till then safe travels,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was our third holiday to Komandoo and coincided with our 3rd wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday.
There are too many highlights of Komandoo to mention in a short review but a few that spring to mind are:
Friendly man with his boat-shaped wheelbarrow who brings round free milkshakes and fruit drinks with fresh fruit twice a day-this wasn't happening on our last trip and it's a brilliant idea!
High level of privacy no matter what type of accommodation you've booked, in beautiful air-conditioned detached bungalows or water villas. Every evening your bed is turned down for you with a little treat of cookies or chocolates.
Astonishing array of wildlife to marvel at, from fruit bats, crabs and fluorescent plankton washing onto the beach at night, to baby rays, sharks(they are harmless, honestly!) colourful and beautiful fish of every description. On our last afternoon we were even lucky enough to encounter a large turtle just swimming about in the house lagoon - he even popped his head above the water to say hello before zooming out back to sea.
Faruk the salad chef in the restaurant; my husband reckons Faruk is the happiest person he's ever met, always ready with a smile and a high-five. When asked how come he's so happy he replied 'I work here'.
Repeaters cocktail party - if you've ever visited Komandoo before you get invited to this treat where you can meet other repeat guests while enjoying free canapes and cocktails. It's a lovely way of the island appreciating and rewarding repeat customers.
Finally, the special 'wine dinner' that took place in the Aqua restaurant during our stay. It happened to be arranged on the same day as our anniversary and involved 5 courses with a glass of carefully selected wine to accompany each one. It also featured a spectacular demonstration of 'Sabrage' by Enrico the visiting sommelier - this means taking the neck off a bottle of champagne with a sabre. We think anyone who passed up on this opportunity simply doesn't know what they missed, it was superb and many thanks to both Enrico and Patrick the manager for making the evening so enjoyable.
We have to say we don't quite understand the reference in a recent review to a 'factory' on the neighbouring island. We stayed in 'Shell 6' Jacuzzi Beach bungalow on the same side as the inhabited island and the only sound we ever heard was a far-off singing of the Iman calling the islanders to prayer. We quite liked to hear it and also, being on that side of the island means you get a welcome breeze and an uninterrupted view of some spectacular sunsets.
We love it so much we have already booked to return next year. Sad? We don't care!
David and Cherry, England.

Room Tip: If you want sun sun sun and a view of deserted paradise choose the sunrise side. If you don't m...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickdeStaercke, General Manager at Komandoo Maldive Island Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Maruhaba David and Cherry and Sunny Greetings from Komandoo Island Resort & Spa. Many thanks for taking the time and writing such a perfect review.

With so many islands to chose from it make us all very proud at Komandoo that this your third visit. I am also pleased to read it went just as well as your last visits.

Congrats on your birthday and wedding anniversary and I am so pleased you decided to spend those special days with us.

Agreed the wine dinner was a fantastic way to celebrate your 50th and I hope you were able to find your barrel oak Chardonnay. If not no worries gives you another reason to come back. We will keep it on ice for you.
It was a great event and I enjoyed your company.

The boat man is a new addition to Komandoo and yes it great to have a fresh smoothie during you hard relaxing day.

You saw a turtle wow great memories I am sure he came to wish you happy birthday.

You did wise to book again and early as we are filling up quickly. I look-forward to welcoming back to our repeaters cocktail party till then,

Safe Travels
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husbands life long dream achieved! He was not disappointed. 'It does what it says on the tin'. what everyone else has said and more. White sands, marine blue sea, peaceful and quiet. Watching the fish was fabulous, we spent hours looking at all the different varieties of fish either when snorkelling, looking over the decking and even juvenile sharks and rays swimming round your feet while paddling. We saw Dory and her family every day by some coral but Nemo was being more elusive! Everyday we saw a new piece of wildlife, both in the sea and on land. Little white crabs on the sand, hermit crabs walking with their shells, fruit bats, little lizards and chameleon like lizards that moved and then changed colour in front of your eyes. We stayed in a water villa, more private and lovely to snorkel off the steps but having experienced it would now happily have a beach villa next time. The only shoes I wore all week was a pair of flippers, I loved walking in the sand which was even in the restaurant. Having said all that my husband has just told me to say its horrible and you wouldn't like it!! ( he is a bit possessive about 'our' island and doesn't want you all racing over there!!) no real downs, sea plane drops you on a pontoon which was a bit rocky when we arrived but all part the experience. The food was not the best selection we have ever had but having said that the quality of all the food was excellent. All the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. We have started saving to return soon.

Room Tip: There wasn't a bad water villa from what we could see so any Eagle Ray villas. Couldn't comm...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickdeStaercke, General Manager at Komandoo Maldive Island Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Maruhaba and Sunny Greetings from Komandoo Island Resort & Spa. Many thanks for taking the time and writing such a amazing review.

I am pleased to read your husband enjoyed himself so much. Agreed no better island to see thousands of fish and a great house reef. Just in case you are not sure of all of the names you will find them in the back of the compendium in your room.

Sandy beaches no shoes no news is what it is all about at Komandoo. (repeat ten times)

I look-forward to welcoming you back next year till then,
Safe Travels,
Brno, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have spent lovely week in Komandoo resort. Food was excelent, stuff were really friendly, I have been snorkeling and the marine life here was just amazing! I could say, the best I have ever experienced. The island was so cute with its size. Everything was just perfect - but one thing. The sun was setting over the other island which is inhabited and made quite noise. There is factory over there, making noise even during the night and if you are looking for real paradise and you are running out of the civilization, you will not be happy here I guess. I am wondering why no one has not mentioned this here before. If you like to sit on the sea shore and stare to the sun till it dissapears in the ocean, you will not be able to see it here. The sun dissapears right over the factory. Also sometimes during the day you can even smell the smoke coming from there...
Otherwise everything was really perfect... It is pitty that so close to this beautiful island is the other, "dirty" island....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickdeStaercke, General Manager at Komandoo Maldive Island Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Maruhaba and Sunny Greetings from Komandoo Island Resort & Spa. Many thanks for taking the time and writing your review.

I am glad to read you enjoyed your holiday and that this was one of your best holidays ever.

As with all islands everyone has there preference which side some like the sunset some like to wake up with the sun and prefer sunrise. Depending on the year one side has more wind than the other.

Safe travels,
Patrick

Been to Komandoo Maldive Island Resort? Share your experiences!