“Amazing Honeymoon! No Doubt, Best Choice in the Maldives!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Honeymoon Specials
New York City, New York
“Amazing Honeymoon! No Doubt, Best Choice in the Maldives!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

My new wife and I recently came back from our honeymoon (stayed a week) and found this place absolutely amazing. Since there're many other reviews with detailed write-ups on the resort, perhaps I'll focus on my thought process on selecting Anantara Kihavah (and all expectations, which were already very high given the price we're paying, were either met or exceeded).

I worked with three competing travel agents to begin my honeymoon search and ultimately decided on Atoll Paradise - they were by far the best. Extremely responsive (I'm quite impatient) via email, offered a very competitive price, and top notch service from arrival in MLE, to service onto our sea plane, and on the return.

As for search process. Our search criteria were (in order of priority):
- Luxury and romantic (budget was up to US$4,000 per night so I think everything was within our scope)
- Overwater bungalow (larger if possible, with enough distance between bungalows so it's not noisy)
- Private pool in overwater bungalow
- Also large pool in main area with bar service (Anantara actually has the largest infinity pool in the Maldives)
- Within 1 hour sea plane (did not want something reachable by speedboat b/c too close to Male)
- Small, natural atoll with beautiful beach and sand
- Good food and multiple restaurant options
- Relatively "new" decor with all the modern luxuries such as large TV (although we actually never watched any), A/C, wifi internet in room
- See through bottom in the room, including clear bottom bathtub

As you can see, we were quite particular and picky. Why not given how much we're paying right? Our final shortlist included Anantara Kihavah (initially read about this in the Robb Report), One & Only, and Huvafen Fushi. All comparably priced, all appear to be "best of the best", Anantara Kihavah was the newest and offered the largest bungalows. Also, Huvafen Fushi had enough bad reviews (still not many) that made me nervous about taking the risk.

In retrospect, I would still absolutely make the same decison. Except I would probably stay longer this time. It took me about 2 days to decompress from the wedding and daily life so by the time we were truly relaxed and enjoying the resort, we had to leave!

The week we were there (Roger Federer was there w/his family as well), the resort was about 95% occupied; however, it was incredible that we rarely saw anybody around. Other than during breakfast, lunch and dinner, I cannot tell you where people were hiding. We laid out by the main infinity pool with the bar for 6-7 hours a day post-breakfast and there was absolutely nobody else around.

In total, I spent about 3 months researching and planning our honeymoon, with nerdy excel spreadsheets and a lot of background information from other resources (I also outsourced the background research to American Express concierge as a 3rd party opinion). Between my own research, Amex concierge, 3 travel agents, I feel that I have done as much research as any other relatively normal person could / should. With that said, Anantara Kihavah is still my #1 choice. (N.B., I didn't consider the 2 Anantara resorts in the Maldives as they were not truly comparable as "luxury" resorts - Anantara themselves will tell you this).

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: I stayed in 218 (requested specifically something between 210 - 220, as these are the rooms facing a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This is our second time going to Maldives. We stayed in the in ocean villa for a week and it is absolutely wonderful. we love our private pool and the surrounding area of the island is gorgeous. We went on the sunset fishing trip arranged by the Dive Center and had a great experience. We all caught big fish and got to eat the fish we caught the next day. The under water dinning experience is amazing. You don't have to dive to see all the beautiful fish. I also got to try their spa treatment and I have to say, it is probably one of the best spa treatment I have ever had!!! Their attention on the details is amazing and I felt so good after the treatment. Strongly recommend anyone who is looking for good spa in Maldives!

The staffs in Anantara are all very friendly and welcoming. They are also very helpful and great with kids. Our son didn't get to join any activity in the Kids Club because he is too shy but their staffs are all very good with kids. They even came to dinner to introduce themselves to our son.

Food wise, they offer wide selections. Unfortunately, the Japanese restaurant is not as good as we expect. Their menus are on the pricey side. We purchased their full board service so we're not so affected by the prices on the menu but still, we think given the price of the food on the menu, we definitely expect the food quality and taste are higher than they are offering now. Strongly recommend the Friday night buffet dinner at Plates, the food and atmosphere are great and that is probably our favorite meal during our whole stay.

Overall, Anantara Kihavah is a very good resort in Maldives and we would recommend it to people who are planning to go to Maldives for holiday.

Room Tip: If your budget allows, definitely go for their in ocean villa with private pool!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed for just 4 days and has the most amazing time. The island is beautiful, the Villa's spacious, immaculate and relaxing and the staff should be applauded for their attention to detail and consistent excellent service. This is a must visit resort, I cannot praise it enough, it's exclusive, private and stunning! Every detail makes you feel cared for and special from the greeting you receive at the airport until the second you leave. A tip take plenty of small note dollars for tipping - you will want too!!

Room Tip: From what we could tell all rooms had stunning views!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011 via mobile

No words able to describe the whole package provided by the resort and especially the wonderfull associates. Hospitality and service is simply unrate..
Our villa host Mr Christ is always on standby for any request.. We thank him for making our honeymoon truly unforgetable.
To the Chef Mr Maladi for providing us with simply to die for dining experience, and always preparing items off the menu.
To Mr Mohammad for leaving us with delightfull gifts after perfectly attend to our villa clean towels perfect bed, always and experience returning to our room after a day of diving.
Also to the buffet associates never forgetting our simple request after the first day.
Finally our water villa was magical and right infront our our deck we were able to see school of dolphins swimming and playing.
Undescriable..

• Stayed October 2011
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed at AK for 2 weeks during August/September. I spent a lot (some would say an obsessive amount!) of time researching in advance and went with AK, although there were only around 10 reviews at the time, given that the resort only opened in February 2011. Tried a number of travel agents as well, and at the risk of a shameless plug, we booked with Ruth de Avila at Holidays Please, who was very efficient and managed to beat all quotes that others came up with and also arranged some complimentary extras.

Have been to the Maldives before (Island Hideaway), so have a point of reference, which is always useful as the islands can be very different in character/facilities. Main highlights/views are below …..

Weather. Was a bit worried about this, as had only been in peak season before, but we only had two slightly rainy days in 14 and it mainly rained heavily at night/early morning. The Maldives does seem to be notoriously unpredictable though, judging from other reviews I read in advance.

Island/Resort. This was one of the best features for me and, as has been commented on by other reviewers, the resort has been integrated really well into the island itself and everything has been designed to a very high standard. In particular, the Spa; Sea/Salt/Fire/Sky complex; main swimming pool; and layout of the water villas stand out as looking particularly great.

Accommodation. We had initially booked a beach villa, but were interested in looking round a water villa for comparison purposes and Naseem (our villa host) very kindly arranged for a move to a water villa for 2 nights (so thanks to Naseem and worth asking in case they have capacity). Both types of accommodation are really nice/spacious, and I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Water villas are slightly more modern looking and very open plan internally, whereas the beach villa has a slightly larger pool, bigger bathroom and are very private, which is good, but also means that you don't have a sea view as such, due to surrounding trees etc. Make sure you are highly familiar with your partner, as the style seems to be glass or no doors on toilets/showers etc.! The glass bottom bath is a nice touch too, although there aren’t really any fish directly around the water villas, as the sea is pretty shallow, so no peeping toms!

Food and drink. We were full board (at the time we went, complimentary lunch was on offer, which is normally $60 per person). For evening meals, there is an allowance of $88 per person, which can be used in any restaurant (except the underwater restaurant, Sea – which costs $500 for two, including wine). This sounds a lot as an allowance, but the food is very expensive, although you can generally have a three course meal within the allowance. We found that the best food was at the Plates restaurant for breakfast/lunch (buffet style and BBQ in the evening two days a week). Sea was also good, although the food probably didn’t justify the price tag, but the experience made it worthwhile.

In the interests of objectivity, I should say that we had some questionable (overcooked) meat in Manzaru (Italian) and Fire (Teppanyaki), even when requesting rare. Not sure if this is because most guests prefer well done or they’re worried about food poisoning, but it seems a shame as the meat is undoubtedly high quality. This seemed to be a particular issue in Fire, where the meat is chopped very small to start with and it cooks very quickly on their grill – perhaps they get distracted whilst demonstrating their knife skills!

On the positive side, special mention goes to Chef Gunasiri, who made us some fantastic (and fantastically hot!) Sri Lankan curries and took lots of time out to pass on his recipes and tips. The desserts were also excellent from Chef Gamakotuwa and, along with the curries; the desserts were probably the highlight food-wise.

Sky bar was great for drinks lounging around looking up at the stars or sitting on a rocking chair overlooking the waves. There is an impressive (and eye-watering) wine list as well and management cocktail night on Tuesdays has an excellent choice of martinis, mojitos etc. AK have their own desalination plant, so ask for Kihavah water (still or sparkling), unless you want to pay $10 a bottle for mineral water. It also doesn’t make too much environmental sense to drink imported French/Italian water when they have their own water which is just as good.

Diving/snorkelling. One of the main reasons that we chose Baa Atoll was to try and see Manta Rays and we did see three on one dive and one on another. In addition to Mantas, we also saw some huge hawksbill turtles, which I hadn’t seen before. We also saw dolphins from the boat a few times. We had hoped to snorkel with more Mantas on the Hanifaru Bay trip, but you should be aware that trips are dependent upon tides and there have been a lot fewer sightings this year, so by no means guaranteed, as I’d initially thought, as it’s marketed as (probably) the best place in the world to see them. As there weren’t any Mantas on the day we went on our trip, it turned it into an expensive ($150 each) snorkelling trip.

I did my Master Scuba diver certification while I was out there and Till was an excellent instructor, and Hussein (divemaster), who we did a few dives with, was also great. The dive boat/operation was the best I have dived with in terms of service/quality and the dive boat crew were also really helpful, pointing out sights, setting up equipment, washing masks/cameras etc. In terms of the quality of the diving/fish life, I guess this depends where you’ve dived before – although I’ve been told that I’m constantly seeking the elusive diving that only ever existed in the 1980s!

From the island, we tried snorkelling from the beach (between the spa and dive centre), which was good in terms of fish life and saw a couple of small turtles as well. We also tried snorkelling from the water villas, which was quite a bit further to swim/stronger current, but still good snorkelling. Didn’t try the snorkelling trips, as we were diving anyway, they were quite expensive and we didn’t think they would be significantly better than the house reef.

I think the main thing that we missed compared to other resorts was seeing lots of fish life from/around the island e.g. at previous resorts, we’ve seen fish, baby sharks, stingrays in the shallows off the beach, at the jetty, from water villas etc., but this wasn’t the case at AK. Can’t blame the island for this, but it does make it a different experience.

Gym/activities. There are quite a lot of watersports activities e.g. fishing, dolphin watching, desert island picnic, as you’d probably expect, although there’s also a small gym, as well as table tennis, pool table, darts. The gym has everything you’d probably need e.g. running machine, weights, exercise bike, given that most people aren’t sad enough to work out on holiday, but I think it could also do with a rowing machine, as this wouldn’t take up much space, but would give people a bit more choice. Jumboo, who manages the gym/sports activities, was very helpful as well. There’s probably less focus on the sports side than some other resorts we’ve been to e.g. they had a tennis court, but not an instructor to play with and no-one turned up for the organised tennis, but they’ll try and arrange for someone to have a game with you if you’re keen (not Roger Federer though – see below!).

Staff. Even though the setting itself was fantastic, for us, the staff made the holiday. Everyone was incredibly friendly and genuinely interested in making sure that you were having a good time. The service therefore felt very personal, rather than being ‘slick’. Particular mention goes to Anna/Astri/Aboo in Plates; Adam for the entertainment; Sherpa in Sky bar (ask them to show you their bar tricks); and Steven in Manzaru, who was charm personified, excellent company and also made fantastic cocktails.

Overall, it was a brilliant holiday, and I’m only disappointed that we missed seeing Roger Federer, who was due to arrive the week after we left!!

Happy to answer any questions if you want to know more…..

Room Tip: Snorkelling seems easiest (and most beach) between the spa and dive centre.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

This was not our first visit to the Maldives, so in a way we are spoiled and our expectations were high. But Anantara Kihavah managed to top them all.

The location is great: a small island surrounded by crystal-clear water. But there are many of those in the Maldives.

What makes Kihavah special are the very friendly staff who read the wishes from our faces before we were aware of them. Some examples: when we had dinner on our second day, the staff remembered which wine we had the day before. In addition, on two evenings the cook made something special for us which wasn't on the menu. And one night, the restaurant staff prepared a table just for us on a very romantic spot overlooking the pool, with candles, flowers etc. All in all, a very personal approach making you feel totally spoiled.

Another differentiating feature was the architecture and design. Both the villas and the other facilities were very tasteful - also perfection into the smallest details.

We would recommend Kihavah to any couple wanting to get away from it all. Not suited for hyperactive people or teenagers, but all the more for those looking for total relaxation.

Room Tip: The water villas are terrific. Best are those facing away from the Plates restaurant - for maximum p...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We fell in love with the Maldives in 1998 already and returned this year for the third time. Last year we visited Anantara Dhigu and decided to return this year to a Anantara Resort. The whole atmosphere of Anantara definitely hit our taste buds and since Kihavah was the new kid on the block, our decision fell on the best holiday destination for us so far, Kihavah Villas.

I have reviewed all other post on Trip Advisor on Kihavah and generally think everything has been covered and I can say that most of the comments are applicable and reflect our experiences. (except the experiences of eltekan and the comments about the Dive Centre) Hence I will attempt to write about the other stuff that mattered to us.

As last year, we used Atoll Paradise as our Travel Agent and they did not fail to impress us with the friendly and professional pickup service at the airport. It is always a safe feeling knowing somebody is there to take care of you. Coming from South Africa, connecting flights are plenty, but we decided this time to make use of Qatar Airways. The connections where about one hour shorter than of Emirates and the best was that there where two flights a day into Male, one early morning and one late evening. The late evening flight gave us practically a whole extra day on Kihavah, especially since Kihavah allowed us to enjoy our stay to the utmost last minute (checked out 16h00). Qatar from this point is a very good choice. (The airport in Doha is still a challenge though).
Our transfer by seaplane to Kihavah was very exciting and seeing our pilot wearing shorts and no shoes, already gave us the message that they are working in paradise. The short 35 minute flight is an adventure on its own and I suggest that you make you way to a window seat. It is a very comfortable flight and much more exciting than a boat ride.

We travelled again with the whole family (two kids 10 and 7) and it is a challenge to find a resort in the Maldives that fits all our needs. A kids club and nice ocean swimming possibilities even at low tide for the kids, an empty white beach with lots of sun for my wife and endless snorkelling possibilities from the beach for me. On top of this, it had to be better than the previous visited islands, fit the pocket, brilliant food and on and on.

Travel Advisor was my best mate for at least two months before we decided finally to go for Kihavah. And WOW, we could not have made a better choice than Kihavah. We got everything we wanted plus much more than expected or dreamed of.

Already the arrival promised what we where in for during our 7 night stay. Our check in was done in our Beach Villa 114. 20 minutes after the touch down of our seaplane, we where on the beach. During the past 2 visits to the Maldives, we stayed in Over Water Villas and decided this time to go for a Beach Villa. I am sure that we will stay with the Beach Villa with our next stay. It is 100% private and we slept much better in the Beach Villa than the Over Water Bungalows.

The accommodation is exceptional. Very good style and huge. There is nothing that we could ask for more. Well designed and you can see everything was of very high quality.

Service, brilliant. We could note that all staff where happy and proud to be part of Kihavah. Far beyond any expectation, Afsy and Adam organised a huge Birthday Party for our daughter. The amount of attention and detail that went into this event, is a true reflection of the resort as whole. It does not matter how small the requirement, they pull out all stops to provide the best of the best. Truly amazing. At the last two days, our two kinds where the only ones in the kids club and still Kihavah nor Afsy scaled down on any offering. Our kids became very attached to the kids clubs, especially Afsy. Big tears on the flight back home. Thank you Afsy, to make this visit such an unforgettable stay for Janka and Corinna.

Dining. In the mornings, a buffet breakfast was on the order of the day. Location of the Plates Restaurant is perfect, Food is perfect, selection is perfect, everything your hart can desire, even iPads to read the morning newspaper - though I skipped this one. In the evening, there is a choice of 4 restaurants, all of them a la carte. Our favourite spot was Fire. The choice of food is endless, so is it for the choice of beverages, especially the wine selection. Since Water and Fire are fairly limited in available seating, you need to book. We thought booking in the morning would suffice, but it profed to be fully booked always two days in advance, so I suggest to book as soon as possible in order to avoid disappointment. On Tuesday and Friday, Plates was also open for a buffet. All our meals scored 12 out of 10, even the kids menu's are a winner (not exciting though)

Beaches - Lots of empty beaches. Swimming is everywhere possible, even at low tide (at some resorts one actually cannot swim in the ocean during low tide) Although the island was nearly fully booked, you will never see a crowded place. It gives you the feeling that you are one of the very few chosen people allowed to have such a wonderful holiday. The pools are great, clean, temperatures are perfect and Kihavah even has a 49 meter pool, the longest in the Maldives. Our kids spend a lot of time at the main pool. Any pictures you will see do not make justice of how wonderful the resort actually is, including the pools.

Service - the best I had for all my travels so far.

Snorkelling - now this is the main topic for me. I sneaked out early mornings while my wife and kids where still at sleep to take my lonely snorkelling trip. Wow, was I impressed for what I got. I have read a few reviews about the house reef, but what I expected to get and what I got are two completely different stories. The house reef is perfect. There is no need to take any snorkelling trips to other places, the house reef is just perfect and it has everything. Although the Dive Centre told us that the best part of the house reef is just in front of our Beach Villa, I decided that I would snorkel at least once around the whole island, ending up doing it three times. The reef is perfect all around the island and I have seen everything. On every snorkelling trip I met Anton, my favourite sea turtle. I was scared by one Manta Ray as well as a few Sting Rays, including one spotted Sting Ray. Plenty Lion Fish, Muranes, and even saw a few Lobsters during a night snorkel. There are currents, but you will figure them our fairly quickly and if you use them, your snorkel experience will be outstanding.

The dive centre is outstanding, though we found the ambience of Dhigu's dive centre better. All kit is brand new and this makes a huge difference. There are unlimited options, from Banana Boat RIde to Skiing etc. I've done one of the sea bob trips, definitely to be recommended and lots of fun. We done a snorkelling trip to another small island, but I still have to say, the house reef is unbeatable. What was amazing about the Dive Centre is that nothing was impossible. I used to decide that I wanted to do something NOW, not later. At the dive centre, I got everything I wanted NOW, not later. No problem. Great Service.

On request (which I forgot, but Solah did not) I was taken on a technical island tour by the General Manager Dietmar Koegerl. This kind of stuff always interest me as it gives you a clear message about the hart of the islands operation. All "hidden" amenities here are of the same good taste and well kitted as the rest of the island. I was impressed of the openness of the tour and I was even able to see the staff quaters, the generators, the food and beverage storage, the staff gym etc. The place is well maintained and well run. There is a huge amount of detail and even the florist has his own small shop. It truly impressed me that there is a general drive by the management to run a greener resort. A good example is the utilisation of the generated heat of the generator for warming the water on the resort, saving our environment. The management should get a star for these initiatives. I also found that the offering to Kihavah's staff is impressive. Own Gym, Internet Cafe, spacious accommodation, own kitchen (serve indigenous food), own mosque, complete HR department etc. Impressive and I must say, you get the benefit out if this by only seeing happy people for the duration of your stay. Well done.

Weather was out fo this world, one night a little bit of rain, otherwise sunshine all the time.

The gym is very good. Good machines and plenty to do. We are keen runners, so the gym is always important to us. Well air-conditioned. Even a Tennis Court is available, which brings me on the subject of Roger Federer who was during our visit on the island pampering himself and the family the Anantara style.

Thank you to all Kihavah 'ns for giving us an unforgettable experience and we will be sure back with you next year. To all Trip Advisor guests, we only can recommend Kihavah and Anantara with the highest marks.

Room Tip: Beach Villas, 119 to 112
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Anantara Kihavah Villas? Share your experiences!