“We came in search of paradise” 5 of 5 stars

You added Veligandu Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   North Ari Atoll, Maldives   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Veligandu
Preston, United Kingdom
“We came in search of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This place is totally stunning. The pictures in the brochures just don't do the place justice. We arrived on the 27th Feb to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, and from the moment we exited the sea plane we were made to feel special.
Nothing is to much trouble for the staff from your room boy right up to the general manager. Special mention to Hassan in the restaurant and Naseef and Manju in the bar.
Everything is spotlessly clean, the sandy beaches are perfect, the infinity pool is just amazing.
We went for the complimentary spa treatment which was so good we had to go back. I can recommend the hot stone and oriental massage.
The food in the buffet restaurant is fantastic and the variety is great. Be prepared to put on a few pounds unless you observe self control. We had a moonlight dinner on the beach, just perfect. I offered compliments to the chef and he came out to greet us, I fully expected to see Marco Pierre White, the food was so good.
Can't wait to return, we are already looking at booking for 2015.

Room Tip: The sunsets are spectacular sat on your private deck enjoying a nice glass of wine
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fathuhulla I, General Manager at Veligandu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Neil B

Warm Greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

Thank you for your visit and the review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday

I have shared your compliments with the team members, especially Hassan and Naseef from the Restaurant and Manju from the Bar.

Neil B, We look forward to welcoming you back as a repeat guest in 2015.

All the best

Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We were lucky enough to stay at Veligandu Island Resort and Spa for our honeymoon. It was amazing. The staff were super friendly (especially Munjidh who showed us around the island). Everywhere you looked was like looking at a postcard. We have never seen water so clear!
If you can, stay in an overwater jacuzzi bungalow facing west. It's a bit covered from the wind and you get an amazing sunset each day. We didnt know about this, but we were lucky enough that the staff knew it was our honeymoon and organised an amazingly located villa for us.
We also had the all inclusive package which included the mini bar, so that was great. Having a wine in the jacuzzi in the afternoon looking out at the ocean was one of our highlights of the day. The food was amazing. They switched it up every day and everything was very fresh.
On our last day at the resort, our flight didn't leave till late in the evening and we had to check out of the room by 12. The staff organised another room for us so we could get showered and changed at the end of a beach day so we could be ready for our late flight. Very thoughtful without us even asking.
One tip - bring tips! Luckily we had some US dollars and we just had enough to last us a week at the resort. All worth it though for the amazing service you receive.
Thanks Veligandu! We will see you at one of our anniversaries!

Room Tip: Ask for a west facing villa that is covered by the island. Less wind and better snorkelling and swi...
Dear Jorjieporj,

Thank you for your recent visit… We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon holiday at Veligandu Island Resort.

Thank you so much for your review. I have shared the compliments with the Team members including Munjid.

We look forward to welcoming you to celebrate one of your anniversary in the future.

Warm Regards

Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

What an amazing island, the food was the best we have had so far on a Maldivian Island and they had LOTS of competition as never had a bad meal there ! lunch was especially good, loved it !
Pool area spotless and amazing view, Beach lovely and clean, rooms also exceptional, VERY clean and spacious , we had a beach villa and didn't regret it , Every tiny detail of the rooms was perfect, there were 6 sunbeds for us 2 in the bathroom next to the Jacuzzi, 2 on the terrace and 2 on our bit of beach and also a hammock ! think I would have liked to swap the sunbeds on the terrace for chairs though if I had a say but wasn't a problem.

I couldn't get over the amount of things that were included in our all inc package, free 15 minute massage ( lush !! ) , 1/2 bottle of champagne ( good stuff ) , windsurfing lesson, snorkelling lesson, sunset dolphin watching cruise ( we saw loads ! )
Good drinks although I suspect the wine was watered down as I drank about 10 glasses one night and didn't feel drunk or hungover !! still tasted nice, I think id like some in the UK Please !!!
Good selection of cocktails, recommend the Blue Hawaiian, refreshing after a hard days snorkelling !

Before I went away a read a review which I worried about, that mention that the house reef wasn't very good, I don't know where these people snorkelled but we saw turtles, Eagle ray, hundreds of types of fish , some of which we hadn't seen before even though weve been to Maldives twice before this trip , so ignore these reviews get in the sea once the tide is in ( afternoon ) and go off the jetty at end of the island, about 2 meters in youll see everything !!

Evening entertainment was very random, but that's what we liked about it, although everyone seemed to go to bed very early, best night was crab racing night, very funny !

Went night fishing which was good as got to eat what we caught the next day for lunch,

Our one disappointment was the Manta Ray trip, we booked to go and on the morning of the trip we turned up top find out they weren't going as hadn't seen any Manta for a few days, didn't mind that the trip had cancelled but we should have been told the night before as we could have had an extra hour in bed !!! - or chosen to do the snorkelling trip instead !!

The prices of excursions were much cheaper here than they have been at other islands though which was good.

Overall highly recommend this island and recommend to those who don't like boats too as seaplane goes straight to jetty off the island !

Room Tip: I wouldn't have paid more for a water villa personally love the beach villas, perfect !
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lou1232,

Warm Greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

Thank you very much for your visit and the review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday.

I appreciate your comments and will share your compliments with the team members. Your comments/feedback is important to improve our standard and the services in the future.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused for the Manta Ray trip. I agree that we should have communicated in advance from our Guest Services team

Lou1232, I look forward to welcoming you back as a repeat guest in the future.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have found Paradise!.....This has been the most amazing holiday that I have ever been on..I cannot find one fault to say about Veligandu..We stayed in a JWV sunset (160) and it was perfect! The choice of food was vast and it all tasted first class...compliments to the chefs! We had a meal on the beach and ordered wagyu beef....again delicious :) On valentines day we had breakfast in the room with champagne & chocolate covered strawberries and then had spa treatments..a perfect day rounded off by heart shaped petals & chocolates on the bed. The staff were so friendly and no one walked past without saying hello. The hotel was so well orgarganised and nothing was too much trouble...Cannot wait to return:)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fathuhulla I, General Manager at Veligandu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Lisa (Lisatravel247),

Warm greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa!
Thank you so much for your kind review and grading us so highly.

Our Jacuzzi Water Villas are very comfortable with luxury amenities plus a beautiful view of the Indian Ocean, from every corner of the room and the beautiful scenery of the tiny islands completes the perfect picture.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the amazing selection of food varieties that we serve in our buffet restaurant and the ala carte restaurant dinner was perfect too.
We do some special events on Valentine’s Day, Easter, Christmas or New Year etc and glad that you liked the Valentine ’s Day events and the spa – what a perfect way to enjoy the romance of Valentine’s day.

Thank you for appreciating the friendly and hard working team of the island and I take great pride in hearing guest compliments about the team.

Lisa, I am so excited and can’t wait to welcome you back to our paradise in the near future.

HADLEIGH SUFFOLK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Nothing to complain about. Food,Water villa and staff were all great. I don't know where else will match it! As soon as we arrives at the sea plane departure lounge we were looked after all the time until we returned. Great

Room Tip: There all good
Dear suerich31,

Sunny greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you very much for your recent holiday with us.
It is great to hear about your wonderful experience with us.

I cannot wait to see you soon in Veligandu.
Should you need any assistance for your future holidays, please contact us directly.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

How to start a review of the best holiday ever? I guess from the start! (This will be long so I've split it into sections)
This was the second stage of my husband and I’s honeymoon, following four days in Singapore. We were there from the 14th to the 22nd of February, on an all-inclusive package in an overwater Jacuzzi villa.
Arrival
We arrived in Male airport and were greeted by a friendly representative from the tour company who led us to the airconditioned waiting area where we were given cold towels and bottled water. Sitting there looking out at the clear blue water got us both very excited, it is already such a beautiful place and a relaxing way to start the holiday. Within half an hour we boarded a minibus that took us closer to where the planes take off, and again we waited for a short time in a relatively comfortable room. The seaplane journey was fun and short –it’s lovely to look at all the islands and the water as you fly over.
As soon as I saw Veligandu I was very excited and when we landed even more so. The island is so beautiful! We waited in comfortable chairs and were served iced tea, looking out at the beach and the palm trees. We were then given a short tour of the island on the way to our villa by one of the staff whose name I did unfortunately forget but I remember his nickname Uncle Gok! He was very friendly and informative even if we were very distracted by just how lovely everything was.
The room
We stayed in villa 162, on the sunset side. The room was comfortable, clean and well decorated. Our favourite parts were the very comfy and large bed, the huge shower and of course the deck with stairs leading into the ocean. We got a good amount of use out of the Jacuzzi and the sun hit our deck just before noon each day, allowing for many hours of sunbaking.
I really liked being in this set of villas as it isn’t quite as far to walk to the restaurant and bar and they face onto a great patch of the reef. They also feel really secluded as your view is just straight out to open ocean.
The island
The island is really beautiful and well-equipped with facilities like a games room, fitness centre and gift shop. It is kept very neat and tidy and the best part is the fact that you can walk everywhere barefoot- my husband and I didn’t wear shoes for our entire stay. The sandbar at one end is very picturesque and a good spot for swimming and sunbaking, and you can get a little bit of exercise walking around the island each day.
The restaurant and bar
We loved every meal and had them all in the buffet restaurant – the food was too good to want to go ala carte. There is a great range for breakfast lunch and dinner and we didn’t find it repetitive at all over the eight nights. It was particularly great to have the three chefs preparing fresh food – my husband loved having omelettes every morning for breakfast and also really enjoyed the seafood risotto and pad thai.
The dessert and fresh fruit selection was always amazing and it was only after a day or so that my husband and I agreed we would have to limit ourselves to one plate of savoury and a shared plate of dessert so we could fit on the plane home!
The restaurant itself is beautiful with high ceilings, open walls and a decked area along the beach. I love the sandy floor! We also really enjoyed sitting on the decking at night and watching as all the crabs came out – they are very entertaining!
The bar is also a lovely place to relax and have a few drinks, particularly as the sun sets or after dinner. We had many lovely hours spent playing chess with our cocktails overlooking the beach.
All inclusive package
This was really great, we didn’t need to pay for anything outside of the package apart from scuba diving and a massage.
The list of cocktails included was great and it definitely makes you feel like you’re on holiday, drinking cocktails all day! Having the selected items from the minibar included in the package was also great if we felt like having some iced tea or a soft drink as we sat out on our deck.
We also really enjoyed the Sunset Punch Cruise and the trip to Kuramathi. Kuramathi is a much bigger island and it has a nice reef but isn’t as intimate and secluded as Veligandu. Kuramathi might be better for kids but Veligandu is the place for couples!
The marine life
We snorkelled every day and went on a few fun dives with the Dive Centre. The Dive Centre people were very friendly and we enjoyed our experiences with them. During our trip we saw sharks, turtles, rays, eels, octopus, a jellyfish (that we swam away from very quicky) and a whole pod of dolphins. We were sitting on our deck one afternoon and spotted them out in the blue just past the reef – so we quickly put on our snorkels and flippers and swam out to join them. They hung out for about 10 minutes and we wouldn’t have been more than 5 metres away from them – an amazing and beautiful experience.
Entertainment
It was great to have something different happening in the bar each night, and we enjoyed listening to the band, betting on the crab races and joining in the dancing on Maldivian night. It was also great on Maldivian night to learn more about the country and the staff were all very passionate about their home. We also appreciated the range of TV channels, obviously you don’t want to spend all day watching TV but it was nice to curl up in front of a movie in the evenings.
The trip home
It was very sad to leave Veligandu! We were catching the last seaplane of the day so the staff extended our checkout from 12 noon to 3pm, which was very kind. We could also still enjoy the all-inclusive package until we left the island which was great. Arriving in Male, we had 4 hours before our flight was open for check-in, so Crown Tours took care of our bags and organised a free tour of Male. This was really appreciated – our guide was very friendly and informative and the city is very interesting. Much better than sitting in the airport!
The staff
The restaurants staff was so lovely, always greeting you with a friendly hello and very happy to have a conversation. They started to remember us after a few days and like all the staff at Veligandu they made our mealtimes a great experience.
We loved how everyone would always say hello and stop to have a chat. The men that cleaned our room did a great job and we loved the flowers and decorations they’d put out sometimes at night. The staff in the bar were great especially those that ran the evenings entertainment – very funny. We also enjoyed the sunset cocktail party we were invited to midway through the trip, where we had the chance to speak with the manager and other senior staff. That was a great touch!
The ladies at the spa were also lovely and we very much enjoyed our complimentary welcome massage and our honeymoon couples treatment.
This really was the trip of a lifetime and I am dreaming of the day when we can go back. I would wholeheartedly recommend Veligandi to anyone who is looking for a holiday full of sun and sand, swimming in beautiful clear waters, eating delicious food, seeing amazing marine life and generally relaxing and having the time of your life!

Room Tip: We loved our sunset villa number 162. The water there is calm and directly across from some brillian...
Dear Rankz1990

Sunny greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa!
Thank you for a very detailed and interesting review of your recent stay with us.

It is amazing how well you have described every moment of your honeymoon with us.
Certainly, Jacuzzi Water Villas located over-the-water, in the lagoon…a short walk along your private jetty to this secluded hideaway with a private walled-in outdoor area featuring a Jacuzzi for two “under the stars”, a wooden sundeck, chaise lounges, a shaded area, tropical plants, a private sundeck with stairs into the sea and the most magnificent views of all…

Our chefs are dedicated to providing excellent quality and taste to what is prepared. Our guests come from all over the world and naturally their tastes vary. I am so glad that you enjoyed all the meal times.

I will share your compliments to Dive team and Spa and I am sure they will be delighted to hear about your satisfaction.

Certainly, it is the main achievement of my team to know that you are pleased with the services offered here and indeed your comments are shared with the entire team.

Thank you for sharing so many pictures of your honeymoon with all of us and I am so excited to hear that you will be coming back soon and thank you for strongly recommending us to others.
Wish you all the best

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Having just got married we had the pleasure of honeymooning in the Maldives and staying at this beautiful hotel. The hotel was very clean and the staff very friendly. We had a full board stay which I must recommend. The food was cooked to perfection and variety was large. We were also very privileged to be offered a double upgrade since we were on our honeymoon. Once to a beach villa with jacuzzi and the next to something we actually wished for but was out of our budget - a water villa with a jacuzzi! The upgrade came complete with wine, fruits and a beautifully decorated room. Our special thank you to Sato at the reception for his help and Hussein and his team at the kitchen for their amazing culinary skills and assistance.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Fathuhulla I, The Management at Veligandu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Caren987,

Warm greetings from your honeymoon nest in the Indian Ocean!

It was great reading your review and thank you so much for taking your valuable time in providing feedback of your wonderful experience with us. I am sure this will help our future guests.

Full Board meal plan includes three meals from our buffet restaurant and it is certainly very appealing to some of our guests and I am glad that you felt that way.

I will share your compliments with our team specially Sato and Hussein who have worked with us more than 20 years or so and they are certainly a great credit to the island.

We always try to please our guests whenever we can and I am glad you liked the honeymoon amenities and room experience.

Caren987, we feel so special that you chose Veligandu for your honeymoon and hope to welcome you back for your 1st wedding anniversary or sooner.

The Management
Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

Been to Veligandu Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!