“Excellent service but overpriced” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Last Minute Offer!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Veligandu
“Excellent service but overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed 19-26 Dec 2013 in a Deluxe Over water bungalow (#168) and all-in-all we'd say that it was a really nice stay, but overpriced. The best part of our stay was the very attentive and friendly SERVICE. The bungalow interior didn't really excite us and we had a couple of issues with malfunctioning blinds and a noisy aircon, both of which were however fixed without much delay.

It's the 2nd time we visit the Maldives so we knew what to expect, but we now feel that USD1,000 per night would be better spent in some other resorts in South East Asia. With dinners typically coming to USD100 per person per night we spent a total of USD6,500 for 5 nights.

The Maldives is of course unique so it's a place one wants to see and experience at least once in your life, but the price levels makes us hesitate to come back for a 3rd time, most likely not.

The only thing that could bring us back would possibly be for live-aboard diving in Feb-Mar as we're both divers. At this Dec trip the visibility was poor (lots of plankton) and the sea rather rough due to the strong easterly wind, so we only did one single dive at the house reef.

In summary, if you have not yet visited the Maldives and are prepared to pay the high price, then Anantara Veli is a good choice, as it seems that many resorts in the Maldives are equally or more overpriced (our opinion).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohamed A, Manager at Anantara Veli Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Iburs17

Thank you for taking time to share your recent vacation experience at Anantara Veli. We appreciate your constructive feedback shared, which is extremely valuable to us as we continue to implement improvements and enhancements throughout the resort.

We would like to assure you that a price comparison will be made to ensure that our rates are in line with other competitor resorts here in the Maldives.
Despite the observations shared, we are pleased that you have enjoyed the service standards here at Anantara Maldives.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
South Hampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

My husband and I decided to stop over in the Maldives after visiting India for a few days for some R&R. We were not at all impressed with our findings. Not many people would go to such an expensive place and be honest and open enough to admit that the experience wasn't worth the money. However I don't have a problem sharing my findings whether favorable or not.
We reserved a villa over the water and encountered many problems that should have never been inline with the cost of the room. Hotel was nice but nothing special. Our villa had a large mildew stain on the ceiling from a water leak, the hand rail on our villa stairs leading down to the water had come apart, and a plugged shower drain. I was lucky that I was holding on to both rails while going down the stairs or I could have fallen in the water on top of the coral reef. This would have resulted in serious injury. When you are paying this kind of money for an experience, each villa should be thoroughly inspected before guest arrive.
I will give hotel credit for fixing the maintenance issues promptly after we reported them. However there was no apology or gesture given for the inconvenience caused.
The beach was okay but didn't have the WOW factor that we have found elsewhere. The price for everything was exorbitant because hotel had a captive audience. The quality did not match the over priced cost charged for average service. We wanted to explore nearby hotels but didn't desire to pay the $75.00 charge per person each time we wanted to leave the hotel. In my opinion, the trip should cost this amount per person for a transfer to and from the hotel instead of charging each way.
Breakfast was served buffet style with a nice selection of meats, pastries, breads, cooking stations, etc.
We lounged around the pool and were rather stunned to be told that price you pay for a cocktail during "happy hour" was a percentage which was determined by the current weather temperature. WHY BOTHER?? I've visited many secluded beaches and hotels around the world and would not consider this hotel as a top contender.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohamed A, Manager at Anantara Veli Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear MayGoEZ,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent vacation experience at Anantara Veli. This is not indicative of our service standards here at Anantara Veli. We appreciate your constructive feedback shared which is extremely valuable to us as we continue to implement improvements and enhancements throughout the resort and our service standards.

As I would like to contact you personally, I would appreciate if you can kindly contact me directly at your convenience. My email address is mashraf@anantara.com
I look forward to hear from you soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I am embarrassed not to have posted this review the second we landed home as this was the best holiday ever. I kept putting off writing it because I just wasn't sure I could properly say just how much my husband and I enjoyed staying at Veli and I wanted time to do the resort justice! This was the best holiday we've ever had. Veli is stunning and has everything the Maldives is famous for – white sandy beaches, crystal clear water, awesome snorkeling, fantastic food, sunsets to die for, beautiful water bungalows etc. But aside from all that, what really made our trip special was the staff - from the lovely Sereen (our favourite), Chris the Chef, Carla the manager, to everyone who stopped and said hello when you passed them on the island – they all made us feel like the most important guests they had! It was our 10th wedding anniversary and we’ve been planning this trip forever. And it didn’t disappoint and overly exceeded our expectations. The Thai restaurant had some of the best food we had ever tasted, and Chef also told us about the Japanese night and we had the most amazing sushi on the beach. Breakfast was also first class, with everything and more you could need. Oh, and the snorkeling – Chef and Sereen told us about an island we could go to on the free kayak. It has a big rift and we swam with massive schools of tuna. It was amazing. Overall, I don’t think there are enough superlatives in the English language to describe how much we loved this place! Now just to save up to go back...

Room Tip: We had an over water bungalow and I would definitely recommend it for a memorable trip
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohamed A, Manager at Anantara Veli Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear gcoopernyc,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent vacation experience at Anantara Veli,

We are truly delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your wedding anniversary celebration at this magical spot in paradise. I have shared your positive feedback with all my fellow associates and they are all thrilled to hear that we have managed to deliver a memorable experience during your recent visit. Special recognition of associates who stood out in their service excellence is a great motivation for the team as they continuously strive to deliver the best Anantara vacation experience. Our associates are the biggest strength which contributes to everlasting vacation memories for our guests.

Chef Christopher and our culinary team is delighted to hear that they have managed to exceed your expectations with the wide range of dinning offerings on the island.
Once again thank you for choosing Anantara Veli for your 10th wedding anniversary and we do look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

With sunny regards from the Maldives

Limassol, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed at the resort from the 10th until the 18th of November 2013 and although it was raining a lot during the first 3 days we had a great time. The island is small and beautiful the scenery magical with breathtaking sunsets and sun risings and crystal clear waters full of marine life!! The personnel was very friendly and always polite and eager to assist. The fact that the Anantara Dhigu resort is just a short boat ride away gave us more options to dine and swim and also to have the unique experience of the overwater spa! The food and cocktails were delicious but very pricy as we assume in most of the resorts in Maldives. Our over water villa (149) was beautiful spacious with all the necessary amentities.As for the spa treatments in both Dhigu and Veli all we can say is Absolute Relaxation!! The view from our room was amazing facing the private island of Naladhu! We also enjoyed all the excursions with the Aquafanatics but most of all the snorkeling at the coral reef!! Overall it was a perfect honeymoon! We loved our stay and we are looking Forward to go back!!

Room Tip: Choose a room far away from the jetty for more privacy and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stella D,

We are truly delighted to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your recent Honeymoon on this beautiful island.

All our fellow associates are thrilled to learn about your positive feedback. The natural setting of the island surrounded by 30 dive sites around us with a vast house reef, with access partly from your overwater bungalow, or with one of our snorkelling boats or even via our small island called Gulhi Fushi located within the same lagoon is a great way to discover the beauty of Maldives. As residents of Anantara Veli you are welcomed to enjoy the facilities of our sister resort Anantara Dhigu which is unique in Maldives.

Once again we are delighted, that you had a relaxing honeymoon with us and we do look forward to welcoming you back for your next wedding anniversary.

Sunny regards from the Maldives.

Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We've just arrived from our 10 day Veli honeymoon. It was awesome! I was a little afraid, as we didn't have any infos concerning Anantara resort, but it couldn't be better! We booked a deluxe owervater bungalow, facing Moyo islnad. You really do not have to take anything except clothes and bikinis. There are flip flops, hair bands, beach bag, sunblocker, snorkel equipment, underwater camera, tee and Nespresso machine, water and complimentary wifi. Housekeeping comes 2times daily, and always keeps some macarons, fruits, wine or somethig in the room.
We booked Dine Around, it means you can eat in all of the restaurants of Veli, Naladhu and Dighu as well. There a signed in the bills what you habe eaten and dink, and all of the meals are withdrawn, you only have to pay for drinks. For breakfast we usually went to 73 Degrees on Veli. Saalem is really helpful waiter and always prepared some surprise to our table.
As we were honeymooners, there was a honeymoon ceremony in the Orchid garden, it was really nice. We also received a honeymoon candle light dinner that was awesome!
All in all it couldn't be better at all! We enjoyed that we can use the facilities of Dighu as well. In my opinion the pool is better at Dighu, and Aqua pool bar has a really good kitchen.
It is really nice and comfortable. Veli is really a perfect place for relax, sunbathe, snorkel and enjoy. It's an adults only resort, although there are more families in Dighu. We are planning to visit Anantara Resorts in Maldives in the future.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Petra_Bence

In room amenities highlighted in your review is provided in all our Deluxe Overwater bungalows and we are glad they have enhanced your experience.
In case you have further suggestions what we could add in the rooms please e-mail me on mashraf@anantara.com. As residents of Anantara Veli you have the privilege of enjoying facilities at our sister property Anantara Dhigu. The dine around meal plan option is unique for our guests to experience 6 different restaurants between Veli and Dhigu with great value. We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our special weekly themed event at the orchid garden “An evening to remember” which is dedicated to Honeymooners on the island.

Once again thank you for choosing Anantara Veli Maldives, as your honeymoon destination and we do look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary.

Sunny regards from the Maldives,

Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I have recently had the pleasure of spending my honeymoon in Anantara Veli from the 3rd of December till the 8th and I wish to share with you my experience at the resort.

I have stayed in many 5 star and 5 star luxury hotels around Asia and have always been satisfied with the services provided. Let me start by saying, Anantara Veli has gone for beyond expecting expectations.

I wish I had taken down more names to commend but unfortunately my memory fails to serve me as it should.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the GM. My husband commented : “How often is it that the GM of the hotel/resort welcomes you personally?” That was easy to answer… Never. And this, then was the start of a magical stay at Anantara Veli

Mr Prashrit from Front Office: We were brought to our room by Prashrit, who single handedly carried most of our bags. He then showed us the room and explained the hows and whats of the room. Of course, the room was done up beautifully and in such a romantic manner. Chocolate dipped strawberries, champagne on ice and personalized notes. It was a beautiful welcome etched perpetually in our minds. Later in the evening, Prashrit remembered that I wasn’t feeling too well on arrival and took the time to check if I was feeling better.

We attended the Celebration of Love in the Orchid gardens that evening. And again, were impressed with the ambience that had been created. The personalized wooden heart and the attention showered on us by all the staff. In particular, your FOM Murrey. Murrey despite having yet to have met us till then, knew our names, our room number and even my husband’s occupation. He spoke well, and was a wonderful conversationalist. I developed an allergy reaction to the bath gel in the room during my stay and Murrey was very kind to give me a bottle of calamine lotion which gave me much and helped tremendously.

I must also commend Nina and Jui from the spa who were so hospitable and welcoming. Nina managed to book us a package while introducing the spa to us over breakfast without coming across as a hard sell or over eager to get us to book an appointment, while Jui was an amazing therapist. Small in size with plenty of strength fit into her petite frame, her treatment for me was fantastic and relaxing. Just what I needed.

On the F & B front, there was no let down either. Evelyn was a friendly hostess who made us extremely comfortable, as well as Najeep, the F&B manager went out of their ways to make sure our dining experience was made perfect. However, it was Halel (I’m not sure if I got his name right, I think he is the manager for 73 degrees). He took the cake. We had unfortunately made reservations for dinner at 73 degrees without realizing that it was a seafood buffet and my husband did not like to eat seafood. Halel offered to get the chef to grill a meat platter for him so that he too could enjoy a meal while I enjoyed my seafood buffet.

The room attendants whose names elude my memory were amazing. They made our stay and our rooms extremely comfortable and were so hardworking and pleasant to converse with as well.

I wish I had taken down more names for me to commend. Our stay was nothing short of perfect and the team you have provided service that went well and truly above and beyond exceeding expectations. Please convey our thanks to your team and the above mentioned for making our honeymoon so memorable. I lack the words to express how magical our stay was.

Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mohamed A, Manager at Anantara Veli Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear sierraxrray,

We are pleased to hear that we have managed to exceed your expectations during your recent honeymoon visit with us.

I have already shared your kind compliments with all my fellow associates and special mention of individuals who stood out in their service delivery is a great encouragement to the entire team as they continuously strive to deliver the best Anantara vacation experience. Your detailed review and positive feedback on the overall experience in all areas from a seamless arrival (check-in) to memorable spa experience and personalized interactions with our associates is highly appreciated by the entire team. “An evening to remember” is a special weekly event dedicated to all our honeymooners on the island and I am pleased that you have thoroughly enjoyed the evening with fond memories that you have taken back home.

Once again we are delighted that you have enjoyed your honeymoon celebration on this magical spot in paradise.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Anantara Maldives for your next anniversary.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

I'm sitting in the Dhoni Bar in Anantara Veli Maldives at the moment, enjoying little drinks and ocean breeze, and finding how hard it is to leave this little paradise behind tonight, to go back to our country.
First, let's talk about customer services.
I booked my Over water Villa directly through Anantara's website and got a good deal. Since this was our first trip to the Maldives and our honeymoon, I wanted to make sure everything would go smoothly. I sent quite a few emails enquired about the resort's services, travel means, special requests and every email got replied 1 or 2 days later. Every question got answered in a calm and professional manners. Not every resort does this. I tried contact some before booking Anantara, and I can tell you that not all of them gave me the answer I was looking for. This is one of the reason why I booked Anantara. They made you trust them from the start.
We arrived late to the Maldives and spent one night in Male. The Anantara office in the airport was nice and clean. The staff was helpful and friendly. One of them even tried to call my hotel in Male because no one was there to pick us up. Thank you, I didnt get your name.
I was suggested to come to the airport and take the 12pm boat next day to the island, however I came at 8am since I wanted to come and take a look before checking in, we were both excited. The ride was smooth and awesome, the boat team helpful and professional, it took 20-30 minutes to arrive to our little paradise.
It was such a warm welcome for us that made we feel immediately happy. Mr. Prashrit was there to help us settle in, and he was always ready to help us with whatever we need during our stay.
Every staff on the island tried the very best to make us feel like home. Everybody greeted us everywhere we go with a smile. Always dedicated to the guest and to the resort, thats how they made me feel. My room-boy cleaned my room twice a day! The Aquafanatics staff always gave us good advice about what to do, and always put our safety first. They cancelled my parachuting trip because it was windy, rather than charge us anyway and gave us a hellish ride. My respect. The staff in restaurants and the pontoon are also polite, helpful and dedicated to us.
Now, the island itself is perfect, we had villa 137, which is not too far out in the water, and not too close to shore. Below our deck is a spot of coral, which has many schools of little fishes, that cant be more beautiful. The water is as blue as in the photos, and the sand is so smooth you wont even notice it on your feet. The breakfast is awesome, we skipped our lunch almost everyday since breakfast was already too much for us, but you can always opt for meal plans. The food in restaurant is delicious, although at times a bit pricey. There is many activities you can take: go for a snorkeling trip, go play water games, or just sit around the bar and browser your Facebook. We stayed for 5 days and never got bored. We even went for a fishing trip, caught some fishes and they cooked them for us and we had an in-room dining. Honeymoon doesn't get better than that. There were a lot of guests on the island but we never felt crowded, there is always a little corner you could slip into, whether youre having breakfast or sitting near the beach.
Don't forget to try the spa, whether in Veli or Dhigu, you wont be disappointed!
I could say a lot more things about my experience in Anantara Velo Maldives, and how the resorts made it a perfect honeymoon for us, but I suggest all of you should just go and make our own. You get what you pay for, a flawless vacation.
Once again, thank you Mr Prashrit, thank you, all the staff on the islands. I will definitely be back for more.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kien D,

We are truly delighted to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your vacation experience here on the island. I have shared your positive feedback with all my fellow associates and they are all thrilled to hear that we have managed to deliver a memorable honeymoon experience during your recent stay with us.

As we continue to deliver the best Anantara experience to our guests, communication prior to arrival providing with information on activities, excursions, special arrangements, dining options etc, is of great help as we aim to personalise our guests stay on the island.

As shared in your review the natural environment, the relaxing island set up and the underwater beauty of the Maldives is second to none. We are pleased that you have enjoyed the highlights of activities amongst many offered by our excursions team, Aquafanatics. Snorkelling, water sports and fishing are definitely amongst the best ways to enjoy the Maldives.

Once again thank you for choosing Anantara Maldives as your honeymoon destination.
We do look forward to welcoming you back for your first year wedding anniversary.

Resort Manager

Been to Anantara Veli Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!