Me and my husband spent about 7 days here for our honeymoon, and it was the best vacation we have ever had so far. We watched the sunset and stars every night from our deck and snorkelled 1-2 times a day. It was incredible how many different types of fish were just beneath our water bungalow! We even saw 4 reef sharks whilst snorkelling, and 2-3 eagle rays whilst kayaking. Definitely recommend buying an underwater camera for your trip - we had tons of fun with it =P We loved how you could look straight into the sea from our shower - but were always a little bit concerned about any snorkellers swimming too close to our bungalow.
The 3 scuba diving trips that we went on were incredible! We saw schools of eagle rays, white tipped sharks, and big napolean fish - definitely the best diving I've ever done so far. You also feel very well looked after by the diving team.
The staff were friendly, and the food was good. I liked how for every meal the tables were spread sufficiently apart, which gave us the feeling of intimacy and privacy.
The white sand and clear blue waters were the perfect setting for romance. Veli was definitely the couple island, whereas Dhigu was the family island - if you're a couple I would highly recommend you stay on Veli rather than Dhigu.
The night before we left, the hotel hosted a mini-event for honeymooning couples at the Orchid garden - they gave out free drinks and each couple was given a wooden heart to place in the orchid garden and a free photo. It was a lovely touch! We were told that the hotel hosts that event once every week, and they have pledged to never take down our heat - so we can come and visit it if we ever return.
The spa in Dhigu was incredible as well - gorgeous views of the sea from your treatement room! Only complaint is that we spent a lot of money to get a 4 hand massage, but my husband's massage therapists were giggling during it...not sure why, but it definitely ticked us off, ruined the atmosphere and made both me and my husband uncomfortable. It was the reason we decided not to get any other spa treatments during our stay.
The only issues I had during our stay were not the fault of the hotel, but with other guests. It was aggravating to see old crisp packets floating in the water, water bottles left on the beach, etc - this only happened on a few occasions, and I know that the hotel makes an effort to keep the hotel clean, but its ultimately down to the fault of other guests who carelessly leave things out on their deck or on the beach, which results in littering. Also, there were 2 times where guests from nearby bungalows put their music on really loud!! One bunaglow was at least 3 rooms down, where a few people were having a party - drinking and screaming. Fair enough you're on holiday and want to cut loose - but could you do it inside your room and not on your deck? Or have a little bit of courtesy to the other guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat hand-in-hand to one of the most naturally stunning destinations on earth, a romantic paradise enveloped in soft white sands and turquoise waters. Just 20 km by speedboat from the airport in Male, delight in the private luxury of your own over-water bungalow, with all the comforts of home and then some. Unwind in your room, either over water in the crystal lagoon, or from your Ocean Pool Bungalow, with private pool and ocean views offering beach and lagoon access a few minutes stroll from your room, or admire the kaleidoscope of exotic fish and corals just steps from your over water and deluxe over water bungalow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Anantara Veli Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Veli Resort And Spa
- Anantara Veli Hotel South Male Atoll