“Simply Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Veligandu
Dubai
“Simply Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from a trip to Veli. To describe it simply its fantastic. This place is gifted with great nature amazing staff and set up. The fun didn't stop since we arrive till the last minute. It's definitely the place to stay whenever you visit the maldives....well done Anantara:)

Room Tip: All rooms have amazing view and accessibility to sea
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Midlothian, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our week at Veli in the deluxe overwater bungalows. The bungalows at the end of the jetty have the nicest views but the ones at the other end are closer to the hotel's reef. We snorkelled every day in the turquoise water around the bungalows and saw new fish each time. Wonderful. We also took a couple of trips to the reefs further out – a very different experience in beautiful deep blue water along cliffs of coral - well worth it.
From the moment the staff meet you at the airport, the service is excellent and attentive. Veli is beautifully quiet and blissfully free of children. The kids are all on Dhigu :) The food was excellent and the breakfast buffet was the best we have ever had. We really enjoyed the Thai restaurant for dinner. Such an amazing setting by the edge of the reef with crashing waves and where you can watch the rays and fish as you dine. The staff at this restaurant were particularly good and remembered our room number and what we had for dinner the last time we were there….. You won't want to leave.

Room Tip: Deluxe bungalows at the end of the jetty have the nicest views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in March and this resort, and the Maldives, lived up to and exceeded all expectations.

We were swimming outisde our over water bungalow within an hour of touching down in Male, thanks to a speedy boat ride from the airport pier and an in-room check-in. The resort's lagoon (shared with sister resorts Dhigu and one other, high-end resort) was perfect turquoise, warm and filled with tropical fish, coral and small sharks and rays.

The bungalow itself was very comfortable - showing is age a bit but still very nice and with good facilities and well designed for privacy. On our final night we were upgraded to a deluxe bungalow - which was very nice and had a better deck space, but on balance not worth paying extra - the standard bungalow was excellent and all you needed. Features included a pod coffee machine, free wifi, a large day bed on the deck and a generous bathroom. I understand Veli will soon be closed temporarily for refurbishment, so I imagine the bungalows will be even better after that.

The food was excellent. The sister Dhigu resort's restaurants (and the resort itself) were easily accessible from Veli by pontoon boat, so added to the choice. Our package included the generous and delicious buffet breakfast, but we paid for other food. Not cheap - US$30-40+ for mains - but we didn't mind because it was very good, fresh, gourmet food. We mainly ate fresh fish at the Fuddan grill at Dhigu, and lunch at the Dhoni bar/restaurant on Veli.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful. They were positive and proactive, but not too in your face either. A huge plus.

I went scuba diving (approx US$100 per dive) at sites close to the resort, which was superb, but the snorkelling in the hotel's lagoon was also very good. Coral grows directly under the bungalows, with all sorts of tropical fish as well as the odd juvenile shark and rays.

My wife used the spa and was very complimentary.

Very hard to fault this resort at all! Thoroughly recommended - the quienessential tropical escape!

Room Tip: A standard bungalow is enough but the further from the beach the better.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for five nights in a water bungalow and really loved it here. Very relaxing. Big enough to go for a wander but not too big to lose it's peacefulness.

A la carte food was really excellent and bizarrely deserted as everyone seemed to have room service instead. The buffet restaurants were a bit average for the price. If you are from the UK the alcohol is very expensive, we're from Dubai so for us it was very cheap!

In terms of activities, there were various watersports, good snorkelling right next to the room and diving was great.

It's a great location, only 40 mins by boat from the airport so transfers don't take too long.

My only (big) complaint was that there was a great spa but the prices were utterly ridiculous (from memory USD 200+ for a one hour massage) so we didn't use it at all which was a big disappointment. Had prices been a bit more reasonable we would have each had a massage every day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I just came back from a trip to Anantara Veli. It was absolutely magnificent. My goal was to relax and enjoy the Maldives and I definitely accomplished that. I booked a deluxe bungalow and that was well worth it. We had double decks and I used them both extensively! Slipping into the beautiful ocean from your deck was a huge plus. The island itself is a bit small, but very beautiful has a number of restaurants, a gym (which I used), a spa (which I also used!), beach volleyball and a beach. You can also use the facilities of the next resort (Dhigu) However Dhigu resort had a million children on it and it felt chaotic so I only went once. There is so much I can comment on, but thought I'd put a quick list together:

Top Things I liked
- Scenery. Gorgeous scenery and location.
- 35 minutes by speedboat to the island from Male. This was great. Otherwise I would have had to spend the night in Male and take a seaplane the next day.
- Service. Unbelievable service. I'm allergic to scallops and I told the Teppanyaki chef (Ahmed) at Geckos. He cleaned the grill and all his kitchen tools before he cooked my meal. So nice!
- Beaches - absolutely beautiful and not crowded. It was perfect for swimming or laying out.
- Snorkeling trip 20 minutes out. Only $50 and we saw turtles and octopus and lots of fish. Well worth it. (snorkeling gear was free for your time on the island!)
- Massage. Aoy was a fabulous masseuse and definitely made my back feel better.
- Yoga in the morning. Great way to get the day started overlooking blue water and doing yoga.

Top Things that could be improved

- I made my dinner reservations late and they told me everything was booked and my only option was Fushi Cafe on Dhigu. I went and it was the worst meal I've had in my 3 months in Asia. It also cost USD $111 (ouch!). The food was not good - mainly Indian, but not good Indian. There was hardly any protein available - mainly breads and rices. I had to fight someone for a piece of fish. Children were left at tables unattended and were screaming. It was all around a bad experience - enough that I would stay away from Dhigu.
- Facial. I got a facial at the spa and when I went to dinner (right after the facial), my friends were asking me when I was going to go get my facial. I didn't get that "after facial" glow and I'm not sure how much good it actually did.
- Prices. It is very pricey and easy to go over budget. The food is what costs the most - Hamburger and a diet Coke for lunch - USD$35. Dinner buffet - USD$111
- Families from Dhigu. Families come over to Veli to the beach and the restaurants. As someone who specifically looked for an island without children, this was disappointing. I ended up using my deck to avoid and this was a great solution.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

This place made me feel right at home even though I was halfway around the world. I loves the free Internet. I felt isolated, but at the same time able to connect with my family and friends.

Once we arrived at the airport, we were promptly excorted to the boat that will take us to our destination. It was a very well equipped boat. We were greeted with cool towels and cold water. Took 30min.

Check in was a little slow, but we were also greeted with cool towels and cold tea.

Room: We got the deluxe over water bungalow. The bed was comfortable. The lighting inside the main room was poor, but adequate. The restroom was big and separated by a small closet from the room. Restroom has no AC. Restroom and shower are separate and both have one wall made out of glass to see the lagoon floor. There's a big bath tub, that we did not used. We had direct access to the lagoon from our bungalow.

Location: great! 30min away from airport by boat ride. This was awesome because after flying 23hrs, the last thing we wanted was another plane ride.

Excursions: cheap in price compared to other locations around the world. Parasailing (<$200 for two)  was awesome, except that it was a little physically demanding. Snorkeling  ($50 per person) was the best. We saw everything from sharks, to sting rays to colorful fish. The snorkeling in the resort is ok, but snorkeling in the ocean should not be skipped.

Food: lots of options. There's a buffet night every night. Not worth the $217 per couple if you do not eat a lot. The a la carte restaurants seem to work better and are much cheaper.  The Thai restaurant is a must.  We loved everything about it. The Tom kha soup was delicious. Breakfast was the best. They had all kinds of tropical fruits. They will make you crepes, waffles, pancakes, eggs on English muffins, etc.

Pros: location; friendly staff, privacy; a variety of activities; weather; awesome infinity pool; free water bottles daily; plenty of restaurant options; free snorkeling gear rental; free shuttle to other resort.

Cons: travel time from the US; you have to wear water socks due to sharp coral debris/shells; children from anantara dhingu are allowed to come to anantara veli.

Tips: buy your souvenirs at the airport. They have a big selection and much cheaper.

• Stayed March 2013
iran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We were in over water bungalow and it was fantastic . Very nice view to lagoon and very clean and comfortable bed .
We did snorkeling by free and also canoeing in lagoon .
I recommend tooth brush and sewing kit and shaving kit in bath room .
Despite of room description there was no iron facility in Vila .

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Anantara Veli Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!