“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
Columbus, Ohio
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed at Best Western on a business trip. It's nothing at all the brag about. Although I would not recommend staying here, it was fine for a one night businss trip.

Pros: Good location for getting to nearby restaurants, malls, highways, and Six Flags.
Spacious standard room.
Breakfast was average, but complimentary.
Children seemed to really enjoy the pool. And I saw maintenance cleaning it in the morning.
Easy check-out.

Cons:
Staff was not welcoming when I arrived.
There is no refrigerator or microwave in standard room. (but plenty of eateries in walking distance)
My ventilation in the bathroom did not work.
The front desk guy was also the plumber the night I stayed. Which is probably why I was delayed in getting checked-in.

I have to return to Gurnee soon. I will try the Fairfield Inn that is located in the same area next visit and compare the two.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Gurnee Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Dear Sir,

I apologize for your experience at the hotel. I am certain we can better your experience if given another chance. Please do call the hotel and ask for my email address. This way I can communicate directly with you and help setup a free night stay, to show you we are corporate friendly and some other reviews on Trip Advisor mention the same. I would like to learn more about the room number you stayed in, as having a fridge and microwave is our brand standard and also making certain our breakfast is not average, but excellent.

I hope you give me the next oppurtunity, instead of trying neighboring hotels.

Jeshal Sheth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Annandale Minn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

After my staff stayed at this hotel. There was no compliants and it seems to be nice. A good place to stay located right off the highway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
CountryInn G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Gurnee Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Justin,

We thank you for your kind words and we hope to accomodate you and your employees in the future. Please do let us know if we could do something different and special for your future stays.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I have stayed in lots of hotels but this was the worst ever. They allowed a family of 4 adults and 4 children to stay in one room right up us. They were bumbing, dropping things, turning flips, just very loud. I had to complain 5 times and then finally asked to speak with the GM. A lady called me back saying she was the GM but turned out she was only the Assistant GM. She did finally have them moved around 1am. Then I heard a male voice at my door yelling "stupid b." I called back to the front desk to complain and the front desk person somehow didn't realize he had picked up the phone and I heard him telling the family that he was sorry he had to move them because the women below them kept complaining. I called the Assistant GM to let her know what had happened and that i felt very unsafe. I told her that I was going to call the police. She wanted me to wait for her return call. I waited and when she said she had called the police and assured me I was safe. The family then came down for breakfast the next morning, all 8 of them because we overheard them talking about them having to be moved. They again were very loud and using all sorts of foul lanuage. Not only did they have children but there was other children in the breakfast area they were saying these major curse words in front of. The women manning the front desk at that time said she even heard them and had also had lots of other issues with them but nothing was done. On top of everything else I left my best suit in the closest, they found it and said they would send it to me. It's been over a month now and haven't received it. I getting ready to call them again. I was there to see my son graduate from the Navy basic training. We tried to stay positive but it wasn't easy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,

We apologize for the inconvenience. We sih we could have salvaged the situation during the middle of the night, however there is a little we as management can do to ask the guest to be quiet. Our front desk visited the guest in the room above, and they agreed to keep it low. We also had our front desk check every 30 minutes for the same and had no reports of noise for the rest of the night.

We also do apologize for the inconvenience during brekafast and we hope you do not encounter the same again. I hope you have received you best suit now, and I am also certain you received a compensation for the delay in response and shipment.

We hope you do keep us in mind during your next visit.

Colona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This is June 1, 2012. Arrival at hotel was May 30 departure was June 1. We really like this hotel and have stayed many times when going to Six Flags but we came back with something we didn't arrive with. My daughter is covered in bites, we will be taking her to the doctor tomorrow to confirm, but pictures on internet match up that these are bed bug bites. We have taken pictures of her and after we see doctor tomorrow we will notify hotel. The room was 214! I have frantically been stripping everything I can out of my house and spraying hoping I don't get them in my home. I highly recommend everyone checks there room before they stay. This is one of my worst nightmares, to think I could of brought them home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
CountryInn G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Gurnee Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

We have asked our pest company to come out and validate your assumption and fear, however, they have a statement which shows there are no signs of BED BUGS.

Also, we had a guest who stayed with us in the same ro0 214, checked in on June 1st and checked out on June 3rd, and they have vouched there were no BED BUG concern, and they will confirm the same as a review on Trip Advisor.

I am certain your assumptions are incorrect and I would suggest not posting such comments until you are utterly sure.

Danville, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Start with the goods, it is sooo close to 6 flags you can walk if you want !!!! They offer a bus to and from the park a few times a day so you can leave your car there and not have to pay the $20 parking fee at the park. They do have GREAT internet access, I used it from parking lot !!!!! GREAT like I said! Their free breakfast was pretty good eggs, make your own waffles, juice& milk some bacon & other stuff.
Staff * night shift wasn't to nice, I don't think she was to happy to be at work. She called me Sir even though I'm a lady and I laughed just a little laugh to my husband, she rolled her eyes and gave me a dirty look. Which then made me only smile. But the moring shift was very Nice & Helpful.

Ok Cons, I always book hotels with hot tubs & indoor pools, this said it had both which it did, but,,,,, the pool was sooo small and was being "used" by 4-5 kids "without" a parent the whole night when we got there that we were not able to use the pool. We have two 16 year old boys of our own, just think kids should be watched so they don't ruin others trips, parents!!!! Then the hot tub had no water in it, what hotel has a hot tub but no water in it?
The Bed King size, yes we are the crazy couple that likes to sleep together, this was like sleeping on a ROCK !!!! Then we had to look so far up to see the TV from the ROCK it wasn't even worth it, and they didn't have HBO, (do have stars) so I turned it off and watched TV on my laptop. : ) We were in pain in the morning from sleeping on top of the ROCK.
We have to travel some for my husband's work, and we like to take trips for fun this has to be the Worst Bed we have Been on I think EVER!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeshal S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Gurnee Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

We apologize for all your inconvenience during your stay with us, we hope to make your stay better during your next visit with us.

Best Western in Gurnee
Joliet, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was a great hotel! It was extremely clean and the rooms were very nice and also extremely clean. One of the cleanest hotels I have ever been in. Beds were very comfortable and pillows and bedding were very nice. Everything was kept so well, that it seemed new. Pool was very clean and taken care of and continental breakfast was very nice as well. Would defenitely recommend and already plan on staying here again!! The staff is incredibly nice and works hard to please.

We stayed Memorial Day Weekend and the hotel was jammed, so we were very pleasantly surprised that the stay was still so wonderful.

Had no problem with the wifi. This hotel was also less than a mile from Great America and Gurnee Mills. Amazing location!!

Room Tip: We had 3 rooms, because we traveled with other people. All the rooms were really nice. No complain...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
CountryInn G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Gurnee Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing us at the Best Western for your Memorial Day Weekend. I am glad to hear our team could accommodate you comfortably during your entire stay. We will make certain to provide the same or an even better experience during your next visit.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights with my family andI I must say that the hotel is in great shape. Every morning there is a delightful breakfast with choices of cereal ,fruit, breads and even has a waffel maker along with different hot breakfast items daily (scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon ect ). Our room was very clean and the bathroom was spotless ( house keeping couldnt have been better ). the pool and the gym are very clean and the front desk staff is very nice. If you are craving a sandwhich there is a place aross the parking lot called Rosati's which has a very good roast beef sandwhich and of course Six Flags is across the street. gurnee mills is across the street and i94 is just a light away. The only complaint that I have is when we stayed the wifi was down which is a very BIg let down but after a few days was back up. I would say this hotel is a great find cause location and breakfast. p.s get the 2 queen beds cause my back is killing me from sleeping on the sofa bed,

Room Tip: get the 2 queen beds - my back is killing me from sleeping on the sofa bed
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Best Western in Gurnee. We truly appreciate all the positive remarks on our location and services. We have been working since the past 2 weeks on rewiring all our wireless routers so as to provide a stronger wireless connection and enhanced experience. During your stay our technicians were working on the same and that may be the reason you experienced the internet being down, and I apologize for the same.

However, we do encourage you to stay with us in the near future and review our wireless internet service.

Jeshal Sheth

Been to BEST WESTERN Gurnee Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!