“Overnight ” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
Buffalo, New York
“Overnight ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Average hotel, friendly check in clerk. I travel a lot for work so spend a lot of time in rooms like these. The only negative is that when I went to pick up my tv remote my hand got covered in this brown flakey gross stuff. I Wish I could post a picture... I nearly got sick. Might just want to be extra thorough when cleanin the rooms up. Other than that no complaints .

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
David R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Chicago Gurnee, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Valued Guest-I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for provide us with your feedback; it tells us what we are doing right, as well as what we need to improve upon. I sincerely apologize for the cleanliness issue that you experienced, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention so we may address. I hope you'll give us another chance to show you how important your satisfaction is to us. Come back in the spring to see our newly renovated lobby! Sincerely, David Ratzke, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
charleston,illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife and I were going cross country skiing in Barrington. We decided to go to Gurnee Mills and stay the night. We didn't have reservation anywhere, so we pulled into the Fairfield Inn. We were overwhelmed with their hospitality. The rooms were excellent. The hot breakfast was excellent. The price of the room with the breakfast was outstanding for Chicagoland. Everyone welcomed us, and everyone thanked us for coming.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor like we do. That way no one can be above you hopping and jumping on the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Chicago Gurnee, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Pheenom 38-thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback; it tells us what we are doing right, as well as what we need to improve upon. We're so glad you enjoyed the the room and the service! Thank you for staying with us. Sincerely, David Ratzke, General Manager.
Waukegan, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Our room was #220 in June and we booked through Priceline. Our stay was the worst that we had out of any hotel ever, period. Don't stay at this hotel if you value being treated like a human being.

We checked in with the night manager, and everything seemed to be ok.It was our anniversary and we are Marriott Rewards members of the Platinum level. We requested an upgrade and he informed us that the property was sold out and there were no upgrades available. Yet after we checked in and were waiting for a luggage cart he informed another couple after us that they were given an upgrade? What is with the discrimination? He was marginally polite and treated us like we were second class citizens. The room was nice and clean enough, but the floor was dirty and the mirror has some sort of smudges on it that looked like spit. When we called to complain we were told by the front desk that someone would come up. It took one whole day for housekeeping to come to our room and change the sheets and towels.

When we used the pool the next day it did not feel heated at all and there was not hot tub. The pool area smelled like it had a lot of chlorine and when we went to the desk to complain to the manager at 9am we were told that he was not in. We were told he should be in around 10am or 11am. By time 11am had rolled around he was still not there and we told the manager would be in later. If he's not going to be in, why would you say he is? Don't lie to your guests!

Later that week after we checked out we noticed our card had been charged twice - we went through Priceline and they already charged us, but the hotel charged us too! So we called the hotel asking about the additional charges. The lady on the phone was very apologetic and said she would leave a note for the manager. We were ok with that as long as it was fixed. But we was never called back and days passed and we had to call again! It took three and a half weeks to be resolved, and the manager on the phone was short with me! His name was David and he was very rude, very snappy, and very brusque. He made us feel like the problems we faced were our fault and he made us feel like our expectations were too high. The gentleman who we spoke to much of the time was named Damian and he was extraordinarily rude. He rolled his eyes, sucked his teeth, and generally left a bad impression with us because he could not control his impulses. He certainly should not be at the front desk if he cannot manage himself of his bodily functions.

The only bright spot of our stay wash Ashley. She was amazing and gave us everything we needed. Extra towels or directions to restaurants. She was superb and went out of her way to help. This girl is someone with management potential someday. David and Damian should be fired; their customer service skills and ability to treat their guests like humans (or tell them to the truth!) is marginal. Restaff, please.

If you're looking for a hotel stay anywhere else but here. The manager and some of the shift workers are just awful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
David R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Chicago Gurnee, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Fern P-I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for what was obviously a very negative experience at our hotel. We pride ourselves on superior guest service; subsequently, I am extremely disappointed to hear that you were so unhappy with your stay.
If you would, please contact me at the hotel directly. I would very much like to talk with you personally about your experience. I feel certain that, if you'll give us the opportunity, we can win you back. I look forward to your phone call. Sincerely, David Ratzke, General Manager.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here over labor day weekend. The breakfast bar was a great thing,waffles,fresh fruit, really all kinds of breakfast foods. Clean rooms. Helpful staff.Close to hwy.94. Several restaurants right in the area from fast food to table service. Plus super close Gurnee Mills mall.

• Stayed September 2013
David R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Chicago Gurnee, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Sunseeker-we're so glad that you enjoyed your stay! Please come back and see us next year; we can't wait to unveil our newly renovated lobby and breakfast area! (coming November 2013). We look forward to serving your future lodging needs-David Ratzke, General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Driving from Lake Geneva, decided to stop and shop. Checked in without reservations. Check-in was a fast and staff great. She even informed me of their promotion to get reward points. The room was nice, comfortable and clean. Pool area well maintained, plenty of towels. The free breakfast had hot (waffles, eggs, sausage, cereals) and cold (cereal, fruit, yogurts, etc.) items. Plenty of breads and sweet rolls, coffee, teas. It was a satisfying breakfast. Coffee and tea available all day in the lobby. Location is the best off the expressway. Shopping and dining with in walking distance. Main attractions only a short drive. I enjoyed my overnight stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.
Michigan City, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

When checking in.... the desk clerk forgot to use her customer service skills. Then she FAILED to tell me that I would be charged "pre auth charges" $30.00 per room and that it takes 3-5 days to refund me! 3-5 days for something I WAS NOT INFORMED OF AND WAS SUPPOSE TO BE INFORMED OF AT CHECK IN. The breakfast...GROSS! The eggs had to be frozen due to how much water was sitting in the bottom of the pan. The sausage was pork....guess the ppl who don't eat pork are S.O.L...we went down to the pool to find NO pool towels but about 8 of them thrown in chairs and on the ground....USED! The bathroom wall had mold down the side of it...in the end would we stay there again.....NO!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear valued guest-I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the issues that you experienced at our hotel. We are working hard to correct the issues that you have brought to light. We would like the opportunity to win you back-please contact me directly at the hotel. Sincerely, David Ratzke, General Manager
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have to start spending some time north of Chicago near a local branch and am looking for a place to camp out. This hotel is not bad but needs some TLC. Checked in late and was very tired. Turned TV on, didn't work. Picked up house phone, was not connected, period. No cord. I called the front desk and they were good and offered 5000 Marriott points which they delivered on. Doesn't need a million dollar renovation but needs some people paying attention to details.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear valued guest-we appreciate you feedback, and we are listening! We look forward to unveiling our newly renovated lobby and breakfast area (coming late 2013). Please come back and see us-you will not be disappointed!--David Ratzke, General manager

Been to Fairfield Inn Chicago Gurnee? Share your experiences!