“Is this really a Holiday Inn?” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
Elgin, Illinois
“Is this really a Holiday Inn?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I attended a conference here March 28, 29 & 30. Arrived early at about 2.30pm for check in. Was prepared to wait but...........not at all. Front desk was well organized and I was greeted in an efficient and friendly manner. Rom was available and proved to be comfortable and adequate although small. the bathroom was a very old conversion. Fine for me but if wife had been along it would have been crowded. I was disappointed there was no refrigerator or microwave in the room. Room was clean and bed was relatively comfortable. Blackout curtains actually worked. I had no complaints about the room for the two days I was there.
I had dinner with a group of 8 on Friday night. We were really the only peole in the dinning room.The food was casual witha menu split between plain American and East Indian. I ordered a curry dish which proved to be dry and not cooked in any kind of sauce. The flavor was good but the dryness took away from the enjoyment. I did participate in the breakfast buffet both days. The scrambled eggs were real and not cooked to a faretheewell! The bacon and sausage and hashbrowns were good. Coffee service was prompt and efficient.
I also attende the banquet at which 320 full dinners were served. I chose the chicken and later wished I had had the beef.The chicken was dry but tasty. Most had the beef and reports were very positive. The salad was fresh. Dessert was not memorable and service was as slow as one might expect.However, the hotel did a good job although smaller than I expected. It was a squeeze to handle 700 registrants for the main meetings on Saturday. Nevertheles, a good time was had by all.

Room Tip: Rooms are WELL separated from the main rooms so the entire sleeping area is blessedly quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Yes, we are a Holiday Inn! Our hotel was renovation of the year when we re-opened in 2012 and all or our banquet space and restaurant are brand new. We really enjoyed having your conference here and thank you for all of your kind comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Minneapolis MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center on two nights for a recent seminar put on by a professional organization. Checking in was painless, they already had my key card ready in the envelope - just had to let them verify my ID and Credit Card. Rooms were clean and quiet. Although it is close enough to the highway for easy access it is far enough away to avoid any excess noise. There is a large shopping center directly across the road so you have access to most of the usual chains for food options. I had breakfast and one dinner in the hotel restaurant both were solid - I wouldn't bring a date here for dinner but it certainly worked to get a quick healthy meal. As typical, the breakfast buffet isn't cheap at $11 but that seems to be typical for these properties. I just grabbed a Clif bars from the snacks area by the front desk and drank the free coffee in my room - not bad for $1.50.

The conference facilities were very good as well - Our group of 110 people were kept well fed. The hosts had chosen a make-your-own sandwich and salad bar for the lunches - which can be a pain for a large group but the line didn't take too long when using both sides of the buffet for access. Everything was tasty and kept very fresh with three lunch meats and a variety of fresh rolls and bread. Canned soda was available in a refrigerated display case instead of the typical bowl of ice so you didn't get a wet can of soda and the coffee was hot and plentiful for every break. The staff were very helpful with lights and support for the projection.

Although it is technically closer to Chicago than Milwaukee I chose to avoid O'Hare and flew into MKE. Left the meeting at 4:30 - stopped to fill up my rental car with gas, dropped off the car and made it through security by 5:30. Traffic on a Wednesday afternoon was a non-issue.

One nit to pick - The hotel website claims an Olympic size pool - While it is large for a suburban hotel, I paced it off at not more than 16 yards so it didn't work for getting my laps in.

Room Tip: My room on the East side overlooking the conference area worked really well. The fourth floor was v...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stay here for one night before a graduation at Great Lakes. It is a newer Holiday Inn right off the freeway. We did not get to the hotel until almost 10:00 pm but we were greeted very friendly and helpful. I was so tired from traveling that I could not remember his name. But I have no complaints at all.

Stayed February 2014
Lake Villa, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Overall this was a nice hotel. My boyfriend and I originally booked a king size bed for one evening and after being there we couldn't resist spending another night there. Our bed was comfortable. Beautiful room overall. Some of the things I found to be negatives though were the following: pool was cold, I think there was a lot of chlorine in the pool/hot tub because we both had red marks on us after and our eyes were red, we didn't have Kleenex in our room when we first entered, we noticed there was a tissue under the bed, the fan in the room was pretty loud and in the standard king room we had booked there was no refrigerator or microwave. I noticed after being in the room had we spent more that we could have that in the room, but oh well. There was a good selection of TV stations available and the hotel was clean and looked new. We didn't use the bar though it looked awesome and like something we would have enjoyed. The staff was very friendly and informed us on everything upon check in. I would come back to this hotel and recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Excellent quality service! The staff were superb. Any issues my Mother and I had the staff was quick to help or solve. I'm a disabled veteran and I sometime have special needs and they were able to accommodate me and that really helped my Mother.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for recognizing our staff and thank you for your service!
Willis, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband and myself and my 2 boys stayed here for my Daughter's Navy Graduation. I have to stay this Hotel and all the staff made this trip so amazing the room was great the staff was very helpful I can not say enough good things about it. I would recommend for anyone to stay here Lamar at the front desk was awesome so Yvonne ,Dwayne, and Brittany I think that was her name they were all the shuttle drivers they all made our trip since we didn't rent a car if they can get any incentive for this they should get as much as they can because all 4 of them are truly amazing people they all went above and beyond what they had to do thank you guys so much

Room Tip: Get with Lamar tell him what you need and he will know right where to put you
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
"Awesome" and "Amazing" - great words to describe our wonderful staff. Thank you for taking time out to mention them. Thank you also to your daughter for her service to our country.
Germantown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Carpet was a mess in the room, warm water in the shower, food subpar, bartender needs to get head checked out. It's a Super 8 with olive green hotel sign. I spend over 300 nights in a hotel room in a year. This Holiday Inn is poor and not the Holiday Inn you would expect. Heads up!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
We appreciate you providing feedback regarding your recent visit. On behalf of the hotel, please accept our apology if we failed to meet your expectations. We would appreciate receiving an email or a phone call so we may discuss your stay in further detail.

Been to Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center? Share your experiences!