“Great Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
Davenport, Iowa
“Great Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel has everything you need for a pleasant stay. The pool and hot tub were sparkling clean, and both were at the perfect temperatures. They have a very nice bar, and patio as well. The free breakfast buffet is very good, but make sure they give you your tickets at check-in! The rooms were clean and updated.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for responding. That pool is wonderful and our Engineering team does a great job on keeping it "sparkling" as you mentioned. You were wise to choose a rate that included breakfast as that is an excellent value especially when traveling with a family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dodgeville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Holiday Inn Gurnee is conveniently located in Lake County, Illinois. The rooms are quiet and the beds very comfortable. The pool, jacuzzi, and exercise facilities are all superior. In fact, the jacuzzi had some of the strongest jets I've ever experienced. Only the breakfast was disappointing. I'd skip that--unless you want unlimited bacon, sausage, and eggs. Upon arrival, you do have to drag your luggage through two sets of doors to reach the elevator . Poor design.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We are located directly between downtown Chicago and Milwaukee and offer a great stopover point. Excellent observation the double set of fire doors. We have listened to you and other guests and have contracted with our fire safety company to be able to have those propped open with magnets. Also, if you drive next time we can put you near the back elevators and you can park right outside the door.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I read several reviews for hotels in the Gurnee area. There were all mediocre so I was very hesitant about booking at the Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center seeing that their review wasn't very good. I went with my hunch and stayed their and we had a great time. The front desk personnel were very pleasant, the rooms were clean and the pool area was clean. The pool temperature was a little cold but we were able to deal with it. Lots of activities to do in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for the great comments discussing our friendly staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. The pool is one of the largest in the Lake County at 40,000 gallons. We maintain the pool water temperature at 84 degrees and take regular readings but I will share your comments with our Engineering team.
indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked two suites for eight of us to go to a private fright night at Great America. The hotel was close and that was the only good thing. I got prepaid rooms to save some money cause the two rooms were costing us $491.80 with breakfast for the 8 of us. I asked for early check-in and rooms next to each other if possible and I was told no problem we can get you adjoining rooms. I even asked the lady if suites had adjoining rms cause it seemed odd to me and she said oh yes we do. So we get there at 2:30pm and they check us into one room but the other room isnt ready and they will call us in about 1/2 hr or so when its ready. No Call so at 3:15 I go down to see if the rm is ready and there is a huge line to check in. I went to the front and asked if they forgot to call us and was told no they will be right with us. SO I wait for the line to go down and ask again about 3:45 and I am told that we wont have a room now till 4:30 or after. (of course not they just gave it to these other people that were in line) WHAT??? are you kidding me and I ask if they will be adjoining and big surprise she says we dont have adjoining suites. WOW now they say we cant even be on the same floor. So I said in a very irritated voice I have 6 kids and two adults we need to leave here by 4pm to get to our event and we need to be at least on the same floor. SO of course I wait there and wait till 4:30 now late for the whole reason we came. Upsetting me my husband and kids wondering why I just spent all this money and tried to have a nice lil get away with my family. SO at 4:45 we are finally in both rooms and ready to go. We get back from Great America around midnight go to shower and there are earwigs in the bathroom. My son found one in the kitchenette area ewe then in the other suite my husband found red mites and black short hairs in the bed. The trip was so unpleasant because of this hotel. We go home and the next day I go to make my house payment and realize the hotel charged me twice. Once with the pay in advance deal and then again when I checked in to rm one and again when I checked into rm two. I asked when they said they needed my credit card that they not charge me cause I paid in advance and I was told oh no we wont its just a hold for damages to the room. What ever now I call and they might be able to get me my money back in a few days but not sure I am now waiting for accounting to call me back. This place in the worst ever.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. On behalf of the hotel I do apologize for your experience. I know that our Director of Rooms has already been in contact with you to address your issues.
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

First, I want to recognize an excellent employee who made the difference during my stay. Her name is Janette and she works at the restaurant on morning shifts. She is an excellent employee with a great sense of customer service. She always make sure that your time at the restaurant is pleasant and that everything you order is correct.

Janette...keep up the good work!

Front desk employees are very cordial and friendly.

Rooms are very clean as well as the rest of the facilities. This reflects the quality of the employees and managers.

If you are in a business trip or for pleasure...this is the right place to stay!

Thank you all for make in me feel like home.

Valentin Cruz
Miami, FL

Room Tip: All rooms are awesome.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to recognize Janette from the restaurant as well as the cleanliness of the hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a whole long week to attend business meeting. Its location suit me the best to be close to my venue of meeting. I could also enjoy Six Flags and shoppings at Gurnee Mall and Walmart. Hotel provides free pick u p and drop facility to all these places and the cchaufers are really very freindly polite and helpful. Overall staff behaviour at front desk and housekeeping is also noticebly impressive. Only improvement is needed in the breakfoast choices as these are limited and same over all days. I had got frusteted of same offering and the hotel should take this as a feedback for improvement. Rooms are good, clean and peaceful. there are ample parking spaces available.

Room Tip: I would not suggest for having breakfast within hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. Yes, we have a great location and are just off the highway. I will discuss with Chef your observation on breakfast selection.
Andover, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Perfect hotel for our Six Flags weekend trip. The price was right, the rooms were updated and clean. The beds were comfortable and the location was great. Le Mar at the front desk was very accommodating and friendly as were the shuttle drivers to and from Six Flags which was a great added benefit. The shuttle didn't have to sit in traffic at the end of the night like everyone else who had to pay for parking. The only downside to the hotel was no free breakfast and the breakfast buffet at the restaurant we paid for wasn't very good. The food looked better than it tasted. However, the restaurant staff was super friendly so that made up for the food quality. I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center? Share your experiences!