“nice but......” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
Chicago, Illinois
“nice but......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Let me start by saying this... what a beautiful hotel, very clean,the lobby was very clean, nice clean rooms, pool area, restuarant! I booked a last minute over night trip for my son and I this past weekend(July14th) at the Holiday inn convention center in Gurnee,IL, all of the other hotels are booked so I got lucky by them having a room left. I book over the phone. everything was great gave them all my information and debit card number! I ask the person on the phone what time is check-in, she tells me 3:00pm and I ask her I am using my DEBIT CARD not a credit card and she says that was fine, not a problem!! My son and I get there at about 2:50pm and I ask to see if we can check in and the girl says "No your room is not ready yet" I say really I thought check in was at 3:00pm, she says no it is at 4:00pm.I was not happy about that, so I say why did they tell me 3:00pm, I took a metra train and the pace bus, my son is tired and hot , he need to rest and take his asthma meds. She say I dont know why they would tell you that, I say to her well they did. I say fine we will go sit in the lobby and wait, I ask if my son can go swimming and she tells me "no not until you check-in", I was fuming by then.We go sit back down to wait about ten minutes later, she says "oh whats your last name again" so I tell her and she says we have a room ready for you! Here is where I get more angry.. She says to me can I have your card and id, I had her my DEBIT CARD and she looks at me and says "there will be an extra 50.00 dollar charge for incedentials, I said wait one minute Noone told me about an extra charge, they told me what it would be and that is what was avaliable to use on the card. She tells me let me see what I can do, she comes back and says to me "ok the fee will be waived" then her attuitude changd at this point... She tells me" well If you damage anything your card will be charged and we are a 100 percent smoke-free hotel and the fee for smoking in the room is 250.00!!!! At that point if there would have been any other hotel to go to we would have left!!! I lloked at her and said I do not go around damaging hotel rooms, I take offense to that also my son has asthma so I DONT SMOKE!!! I got my room keys and went up to our room!! Everything after that was great!!!! My son and I swam until 10:45pm we used the computers in the lobby!!! Now Sunday morning I take my son to the pool so he can swim before we have to check-out and there is a sighn on the door saying the pool will be closed until 5:00pm! I was annoyed at that!!! We go to the restuarant that is there, I was not feeling well so I asked if my son can take his plate up to our room and I was told no that is not allowed, BUT there was a gentlemen who took his food up to his room, and I asked why can that man take his up and I cant, she tells me " HE IS A SPECIAL GUEST" THAT really mad me mad!!! after that we just went to our room packed up and left!!! It was a very beautiful and clean place BUT THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE ALL EMPLOYEES GIVE THE CORRECT INFORMATION AND TREAT PEOPLE NICELY!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Aquelah R, Sales and Catering Coordinator at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. What you and your son experienced during your stay was unacceptable. Please accept our apologies for the treatment you received at the Front Desk and in the Restaurant. Your comments have been sent to the department managers and will be addressed. We truly appreciate your comments, both the negative and positive, as they help us to be a better hotel. Thank you again and we hope that despite your negative experience you do choose to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I was a little skeptical about this hotel having booked it on a name your price purchase option. The reviews on the internet left a little to be desired. Anyhow, turns out this hotel was much better than my family and I expected. The lobby is superb, with a nice bar and two restaurants. The pool was clean, however, the hot tub was questionable. The rooms were new and well decorated. The view was none existent (ours was over the roof of the hotel - 4th floor room). Good amenities, plenty of towels, clean and comfortable bed. Hotel is across the street from the Gurnee Mills Mall, and a 3 minute drive to Six Flags. Lots of places to eat in the area and very convenient for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Sales and Catering Coordinator at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Thank you so much for the review, we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your comment on the hot tub and will see to it that the hot tub is indeed thoroughly cleaned and inspected on a daily basis. Thank you again,and we look forward to your next stay with us!
Ashwaubenon WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed at the hotel on Friday the 6th of July. I made reservations on the Holiday Inn website and recieved a confirmation stating I had two adults and three children. When I arrived I was told I only had two double beds, I informed them that my confirmation clearly states 5 people. They said sorry I booked only the two double beds. (I had even called to talk with reservations after booking because I made a mistake on booking the Great America trip price). I had forgotten my paper copy of reservation so I could not prove it. I asked for a rollaway and was told they could not give me one due to fire code. So... for over 200.00 a night one person had to sleep on floor. When we got to the room their was black hairs (dog) on one of the beds. We do have dog allergies in our family so I had to call down to front desk and ask if animals are allowed and they said yes, I explained that apparently one was in the room before us. They switched our room. (well we packed up and they met us at the new room with new keys) We tried to use the pool area but there were so many adults and children acting unruly that it was impossible to let the kids stay swimming. I think a little supervision in the pool would of been nice. The pool is for everyone, not just the ones out of control. When I returned home i looked up reservation confirmation and was correct. I did book it for 5 people. I called hotel and they said, I was right and should of been given a bigger room or at least a rollaway. They said they would take care of me next time we came to town (yeah, like that is ever going to happen) They do have a shuttle to great America.. .and our one driver Dwayne was FANTASTIC.. the other one... not really a people kind of person. We called to be picked up (keep in mind its 105 degrees that day) and they said 10 min... so we headed to the meeting place and 25 minutes later we still did not have a driver. We had to call again and than 10 minutes after that time he came. I think they forgot about us... NO APOLOGIES either. The rooms were decent when you got a clean one! the staff seemed friendly but yet unwilling to get us a rollaway. Its too bad too beause the Great America deal they have is sweet.... I think we will be trying a new location next time... also.. I hear people talking about the breakfast.. we were never told about one

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review, it is very unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay with us and we sincerely apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience. As a brand new hotel we greatly appreciate any and all reviews that can help us strive to be a better hotel as time goes on. Your comments have been forwarded to management as well as our Front Desk and Housekeeping departments and we will make great efforts to ensure that these issues do not occur again. Once again we sincerely apologize for your unsatisfying stay and we truly thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is guests like you that help create great hotels.
Small Town USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I can not say enough about the extraordinary service at this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!
Gilbert, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My friend and I came to Gurnee on a 3-day shopping adventure. We have had great luck with Holiday Inns, but I will not be staying here again. The excuse we got for everything was that they had only been open a couple of months. Well, some of the experiences we had were completely unexcusable! The easiest way to do this is a pro/con list.

Pros:
*Greeted by Taylor, she was awesome!
*When we had a problem with our room, Taylor addressed it immediately, and we were instantly switched to a new room and given two free drink coupons.
*Check in/check out were quick
*Quiet hotel
*Bath and Body Works toiletries!!!
*Our meal was comped due to our poor stay, but due to booking through Priceline, we were not comped any of our nights, as we should've been.

Cons:
*There was a large, mysterious pink wet spot on our floor, and we had to switch rooms
*My bed had large black hairs in it
*A dead, flat mouse was outside the entry doors to the hotel for two days
*The fire alarm went off with no explanation
*The pool and hot tub never worked during our 3-day stay. In fact, they had never even filled the hot tub since opening. We were told they could shuttle us to Gold's Gym to use their pool. This hotel is 5 minutes from the Great America Amusement Park. People were staying there with kids and could not use the pool!
*The bartender, JP, was TERRIBLE! It took half an hour to get two drinks because she was so busy chatting up her three friends who arrived after us. I swear they were maybe 17 years old, but they were served alcohol. She also kept messing up my friend's drink, a simple margarita on the rocks, as she made it.
*Our newspaper wasn't delivered every day as we were told it would be.
*We were told there was a breakfast buffet, and there was none on any day we stayed. We were later told it was at the discretion of the restaurant depending on how many guests were staying.
*My friend tried speaking to one manager, and he walked away like he was looking into her issue, but he never returned.

The last time I had this bad of an experience at a hotel, it was at a Motel 6 for $30 a night! Again, I cannot say enough for Taylor's attentiveness to our concerns. She was fantastic!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review; we apologize that your stay wasn't a great one. While our hotel had been open for a little over a month during your stay, that is not an excuse for the experience you had. All of your comments have been forwarded to Management and addressed within the the Maintenance, Housekeeping, Front Desk and Food and Beverage departments. We truly appreciate your comments, both the pros and cons, as they help us to become a better hotel. We sincerely hope that you do choose to stay with us again in the future and we once again thank you for the feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gurnee
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Baymont Inn & Suites Gurnee
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Gurnee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Gurnee

Been to Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center? Share your experiences!