“Small dinning room Great food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 108 Restaurants in Gurnee
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Gurnee, Illinois
“Small dinning room Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This small space has some of the best Sushi and Bento in the midwest. It reminded me of Japan long deep narrow seating area with a small kitchen in the back. Extremely clean and the staff is top notch.

Visited April 2014

Yokohama, Japan
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

After living in Japan for 10 years my wife (Japanese) and I returned to the states. We have tried every sushi restaurant in this area and HAYASHI is by far the best Sushi-Ya when compared to Japanese quality. The food was great and the staff is always so kind. If you are thinking about grabbing sushi tonight forget the others and experience HAYASHI.

アメリカでお寿司が食べたくなったら、ここのレストランがおすすめです。サーモン最高!

D と K

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
“Excellent Japanese food, especially the sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is our go-to sushi restaurant. The ingredients are fresh and delicious. Dishes are well balanced. We usually just get several rolls. They have a large list of rolls on the menu and then about 6 special rolls that they alternate daily. They have a lot of the standard rolls but have several unique ones also. Sometimes we even get cooked food, and it is excellent also. Standout items are the tuna sashimi, dai tempura ponzu, ginger steak, and the windy city roll.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Colorado
“Excellent, well priced Sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Every time I'm in town, I look forward to a visit here. I love this place. A local took me the first time and it's a good thing, because I probably wouldn't have noticed this nondescript place located in a small strip mall.

The sushi is absolutely delicious and just simply well made, and served without pretension. The ingredients are fresh and beautifully presented. The dining room is friendly and spotlessly clean. The staff is friendly and really helpful if you're new to sushi or can't make up your mind. Try the spicy soft shell crab roll. It's to die for!

The prices are extremely reasonable for the quality that is served here. Simply put, this place is near perfect. I will be back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hainesville, Illinois
“great food even for non-sushi options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I stopped by last night, not knowing what to expect as neither one of us is a sushi-lover. We asked for recommendations and the server came back with some of the best rolls I have tasted. These were crunchy, with shrimp and avocado. For our main meal we had Tempura with chicken or with steak. The tempura pieces were large and tasty, with a very light breading. The food was good, although the steak could have been a bit warmer.
The sitting area is small and to some people could feel too crowded. Plan to visit early or late if this could be a problem for you.
At Hayashi, you will have a good or even great meal, although this is not the place for a romantic dinner.

• Visited August 2013