“Disgusting!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 12 hotels in Gurnee
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Disgusting!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

First off, they overbooked our family room. We had 10 people visiting Great America, Oct 5, 2013 and they left me a voice mail an hour before check in (mind you, I booked this on July 30, 2013 and called 1 week before to confirm everything was set). They were going to put us in separate rooms, which were filthy. Moldy, smelly and just gross. We also saw 3 that looked like drug deals in the parking lot while we were waiting for things to be figured out. After this, we decided to go some place else, and glad that we did. Beware of this place!!!!! There are way better places to stay, for close to the same price.

Room Tip: Get rooms closer to the highway in a better part of town
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Gurnee, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This Hotel is a nightmare!!!! You defiently pay for what you get. When you walk in the hotel it smells horrible.That should have been my sign to run the HELL!!!! I really can't believe they are apart of The Choice Hotels group. There rooms are very nasty. The carpet is very old and all stained. The bedding is old and smells horrible.I mad a reservation to stay here for 11 nights until my house was ready. The 1st night we were in the room right by the stairway. I heard EVERYTHING...all hours of the night people were coming and going. I heard doors closing all night and everyone talking in the hall way. The next morning I woke up after a restless night I heard the people in the next room talking and I could hear word for word what they were saying. All night I kept itching and I thought it was just in my head cause the room was so smelly and nasty looking. When I woke up and got in the shower I noticed all these bit marks on legs and it appeared to me that THIS HOTEL HAS BED BUGS!!!!!!!!! Don't waste your money or your time staying here. It's worth the extra $30 a night to stay in a actual hotel cause this place is a MOTEL. There breakfast in the morning is just a bunch of crap they bought from Sam's Club. The area where they serve it from is dirty and they just don't keep any part of thier hotel clean. When I went to check out and cancel my next 10 days they charged for two days and I told the clerk this place isn't clean enough for me to stay those many days....His response was I know our cleaning staff went on strike so we only have 1 person. That explains why everything is nasty and why they have bed bugs. I would never ever stay here again and will make sure everyone I know never stays here either.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Gurnee, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

BEWARE...
Rooms are disgusting, towels are stained, tub was gross, pillows were extremely thin, air conditioner leaked, and staff will charge you extra for anything you ask. GM is unwilling to return calls or emails. Also, this motel is run under a different name, Hollywood Inn Suites, along with Econo Lodge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Durant, Iowa, Usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

When I arrived, I was told that they were overbooked and they were going to "upgrade" me to a suite. It turned out that the suite was at a different hotel, the "Hollywood Hotel and Suites." When I arrived, there was no staff on site. I had to use an access card to get into the "hotel." The hallway was poorly lit and dirty. When I got to my room, the door was open. It appeared the someone had been in the room, the bedding was rumpled and there was water around the hot tub. I walked out of the room and down to the other end of the hall and found that a second entrance had been "jimmied" so the door was unlocked- anyone could have access at anytime.

I returned to the Econo Lodge and told them I would not be comfortable staying in the room. I wanted the room I had reserved. I was told that I could not have the room, that I had to stay at their other hotel. I told them that I found my room unlocked and about the entrance door that was open. They told me I was wrong! I was told that, in order to have the room I reserved, they would have to "kick someone out."

When I finally got into the room, it was not clean, it smelled bad. The shower had mold growing in it the bed had no mattress pad, only a fitted sheet, and the mattress was dirty and appeared to be moldy (it was so bad, I took pictures).

Bottom line- this was a horrible experience. The hotel staff refused to honor my reservation, they called me a liar when I told them what I had found at the other facility, and when I finally did get a room (not the one I had reserved) it was awful.

DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

when we walked in the hallway reeks of smoke. we went to the room and look around and appear to have blood on the base of the bathroom door. The night clerk came up and clean it off apologize for it. Checked out in the morning and no manager was on duty. The clerk on duty Ask how we knew it was blood.said the manager would give us a call later today very disgusting.the overall room was very disgusting

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were not clean, there were food rappers on floor. Dust everywhere.. Yellow stains on on bed comforters. Rooms and hallways smelled like smoke. Would not recommend this place to anyone. I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were going ot be in Gurnee for thw CowaLUNGa bike race and failed to get a room until the day before. We were left with few options. We booked a two king bed room. The room we were given was large which was a surprise, however there were other surprises in store for us. The two king beds were not beds in the normal sense. It was just box springs and the mattress on the floor with no base at all. The headboard of one of the beds had fallen off and was hanging precariously over our heads. An iron was fused to the carpet. There was no coffee pot, but we did get two mini fridges and two microwaves. There was a delapitated metal frame bunk bed that was dented and missing most of the support screws so it swayed dangerously when sat on. The bathroom was dirty as was the carpet. We did check the blankets for bed bugs and thankfully found none, but we were glad to check out the next morning.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Gurnee? Share your experiences!