“Small Rooms, Microscopic Pool, but Good Staff” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
Minooka, Illinois
“Small Rooms, Microscopic Pool, but Good Staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at this hotel during a 2 day trip to Six Flags Great America. The first room that they attempted to give us was so small that I was forced to ask for an upgrade. The upgraded suite was much nicer and larger but still very small. It was adequate at best. However, since the price was so cheap as compared with other hotels in the area, I really cannot complain.

One major complaint is that the hot tub was "out of service" and we were not told that upon checkin. Another major concern is that the pool was so small it was almost laughable. I've literally seen larger hot tubs. In addition, the chlorine in the pool was so strong and overpowering that our family could not swim in it for more than 5 minutes without burning, red eyes. My daughters eyes were literally red the entire next day.

The hot breakfast in the morning was average at best, but they ran out of food very quickly, and did not replenish it. Some of the later arriving guests were left with nothing but cold cereal remaining. To me, that is unacceptable.

Overall, our stay was just OK, but we will definitely never stay here again. The low price is attractive, but the accomodations simply are not.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the largest room possible so that you do not feel like you are sleeping in a closet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to post this review as it will help us fine tune operations in the future. We sincerely apologize for what you experienced during your stay. We are known for our breakfast and we are sorry to hear we did not hit that on your trip. We do understand the frustration with not being able to use the hot tub and the high chlorine level in the pool. We would like to discuss this with you. Please feel free to contact us at CCare@carlsonrezidor.com. We look forward to hearing from you! ~Dana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The staff was one of the best things about this hotel. They were really friendly when checking us in early and gave us a late check out without any issues. Breakfast was awesome. It truly was a hot breakfast with more food options than you can eat compared to other hotels. Location was great. We had gone to Gurnee to spend the weekend at Six Flags Great America. Shuttle service was running every hour which made it easy to come back and forth. Only downside was that there were a lot of kids around but that makes sense due to Six Flags. This hotel was worth it for the location, staff, and breakfast.

Room Tip: Pick a room closer to hallways as the hotel is so busy its hard to jump on the elevator. Easier to j...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeshal S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

We hope you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to serve you better during your next visit with us.

Pontiac, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Spacious clean room and comfortable bed. Close to alot of amenities, Six Flags and Gurnee Mills (shopping mall). Experienced a bit of confusion with my pillow i forgot in the room but was found a few days later :)
The TV in the room should be upgraded to a flat screen.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

We thank you for review and we hope to serve you better on an ongoing basis.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My son and I arrived early at 10:30 a.m., the desk told us that they had no rooms ready yet. Asked them to hold our bag till we get back tonight, and they has no problem. Arrived back at 7:15 p.m. and was given our keys and room # after verifying my ID. The room was ground floor and big, I can't imagine the size of a suite. Watched a movie a bedtime, to time for swimming because we were to tired.

The next morning we checked out at 9:30 a.m. and again asked the desk to watch our bag until we came back from the park for the bus home. Again not an issue.

There was in no way any kind of issue with this hotel, Top notch and close to a decent destination.

Who brings camping gear into a hotel? Weird.

Good job girls and guy's.

Mark

Room Tip: Lower level, room 102 was AWESOME.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jeshal S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

I thank you for your kind words and in detail response to your experience here with us. We hope to keep serving you better and we wish you do choose us in the future.

Country Inn and Suites Gurnee
Wayne, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here on a recommendation from a realtir on a house hunting trip. What a disappointment! This place advertises themselves as being close to Six Flags amusement park - I guess they expect everyone to be satisfied with what they get as quality and comfort certainly are not part of their business model.

Upon registration, you have to sign an agreement to pay an additional penalty if you smoke in the room, as it was supposedly a no-smoking hotel. But the room itself REEKED of smoke - not from someone sneaking a smoke in the bathroom but long standing smoking in the room that had never been cleaned or treated. There were even burn marks in the old, worn-out rug.

Furthermore, the TV was an ancient large tube model - had to be at least 10 - 12 years old. The picture was messed up and hard to watch. At least the coffee pot worked. The mattress was so old and worn out that it had a large cavity in the center that my wife and I kept rolling into. Straight out of an old I Love Lucy routine. Neither of us slept well.

"Breakfast" the next morning was cold and unappetizing. The coffee creamers were all spoiled - I went through eight before finding 2 I could use in my coffee. The staff did not speak English and I could not get them to understand that the creamers were spoiled and dangerous to serve.

Bottom line, this place is a dump that is run by people who do not care and are relying on the Six Flags crowd who are desperate for a room and will settle for anything. Stay away!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir/Madam,

We apologize for the incovnenience and I am pretty certain we can accomodate you better during your next visit with us.

Country Inn and Suites Gurnee
Gainesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

I've traveled a lot this year logging well over 60 hotel night stays and the Country Inn & Suites in Gurnee easily wins for the most uncomfortable beds of the year.  I gave up after a half hour and went down to the car, inflated my camping air mattress, grabbed my sleeping bag and pillow and took them back to my room where I set up camp.

As a general rule I avoid any hotel within five miles of an amusement park, you always pay more for much, much less. I gave this one a chance based on the reviews but will now stick solidly with the 5 mile rule from this point forward. On top of the "feel every spring" beds the linen was stained and of poor quality, bed skirts frayed.

The only positives are the front desk staff when I arrived but the night desk guy didn't raise an eye as I carted in my camping gear, lol. Oh well, live and learn! It's too bad as most Country Inn & Suites are really nice. New beds would really help!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sir,

We apologize for your experience with our beds. We hope we can accomodate you better during your next visit.

Country Inn and Suites
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The service was very good. The manager and front desk person really focused on making sure we were happy with our stay. The manager even went out of his way to find us a great restaurant for Chicago style pizza (he found a great one!). Upon our return from dinner, he made sure to check with us to see how our dinner was and if we needed anything at all. The room was good, and the service was excellent. I would definitely stay here again upon my return to the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
CountryInn G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

We thank you for your review and we are glad to hear you and your family had a great time with us at our hotel. Hope we can serve you better in the future.

Jeshal Sheth

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee? Share your experiences!