“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Gurnee

You added Super 8 Gurnee to your Saves list
Super 8 Gurnee
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5520 Grand Ave, Gurnee, IL 60031 (Formerly Grand Hotel and Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
Adams, Wisconsin
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We were looking for a cheap place to stay when we went to Six Flags. We got a deal and paid $138 for 2 nights. I was very skeptical, but when my son reminded me we just needed a place to sleep I reserved it. When we checked in the receptionist told us a different price but when we corrected her we got no argument. We stayed on the first floor which is mostly theme rooms. Our room at the end of the hall, next to the stairs, was not a theme. The glow-in-the-dark hallway paint threw us for a minute but it was fun once you got used to it. The room's view was a wall, but we didn't have to worry about people looking in. We basically slept and showered there. There was a small pool but we didn't have time. The front desk offers discounted 6 Flags tickets ($36 as opposed to $61) free passes to Gold's Gym just a couple of blocks away and discounted tickets for Golden Coral meals.I am a stickler for cleanliness and the room was very clean. All of the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. This is not a luxury hotel. If you want that you'll pay a lot more. I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel for someone on a budget who wants a clean hotel without the expensive frills.

Room Tip: Our room had a queen and bunk beds. Perfect for our son and daughter and my husband and I could sle...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I had stayed here along with a few friends while on our trip to Six Flags. The hotel was very dirty and we actually had to ask for clean linens to put over things. The front desk staff was rude and ignored a lot of comments we had mentioned to them. Spend the extra $25-$35 and stay at the Holiday Inn. I would not recommend this hotel at all or the services they offer (a swimming pool).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Watertown, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Let this be a warning to anyone planning a Six Flags trip: THEY DON'T ALLOW TEENAGERS TO STAY WITHOUT THEIR PARENTS ANYMORE. And that wasn't even the problem for us. The problem was that the clerk on the phone who we were trying to make a reservation with hung up on us. She just said 'I'm not even gonna take the reservation" and hung up before we could explain that we were not a group of teenagers, but 3 family members in our mid-20s taking our teenage sister with us on vacation. We have stayed there several times over the years and couldn't believe that this clerk would treat customers -especially those who have given their business to them before- in such a rude way. We had officially had it. Although we generally liked the hotel before, the cranky staff and the constant weekend pool closures eventually chased us off to another hotel. Save your money on a hotel where the staff actually APPRECIATES your business.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My 2 sons and their friends went down to Six Flags and booked a room at this hotel they were given a room with a queen bed and pull out couch. They pulled the couch out to find dirty boxers and then took the comforter off the bed and found a condem. When they complained to the desk they were offered clean sheets. When I, as their Mother, called the next day they offered a 20% reimbursement and told me the room was thoroughly cleaned due to the occupant that stayed there before was there for 3 weeks. How can they say the room was thoroughly cleaned?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

It's small but welcoming. VERY inexpensive at around $55 per night. It is near the military base so it was convenient for me. The room was clean and the hotel was nice and quiet. I didn't get a chance to check out the pool but it looked clean. The bed they have is the memory foam. If that's your thing then you'll love it! I have a bad back so it wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked.

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I am not sure where these good reviews are coming from.....this place is NASTY.

1) the pool is tiny and has a film of god knows what on the top of the water.
2) the pool is FREEZING
3) the rooms, or at least ours, was dirty. As in.....puke on the wall in the bathroom....a toilet that ran and leaked water......cobwebs. A hole in our bedspread.....stains of nasty stuff on the recliner, a sticky desk, old pamphlets with water marks. Just gross.
4) the other guests kept us up till 3 am. Not cool.

We ended up going to target and buying a king size sheet, comforter and pillows. We covered the entire mess of a bed with the sheet and slept on top of that. I tried to cancel the room and they said I would owe money to switch rooms.
What a joke. Stay somewhere nice, after this experience I will NEVER stay in a hotel that isn't a higher end chain. I don't care the cost, staying in a place as gross as this is not worth the money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

This is a great location to stay at for a Vacation or just a fun weekend. They have the coolest suites and everybody there is just so friendly! Almost the whole downstairs has black light, and for the children rooms they have cartoon characters! Six flags is right across the street and plenty of places to eat in walking distance!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Super 8 Gurnee? Share your experiences!