“We love this place!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1700 Nations Drive, Gurnee, IL 60031   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orland Park, Illinois
“We love this place!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

This place is awesome! The activities director Christine is so great with the kids! There are so many activities to do in addition to the waterpark! We love this place!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I am extremely dissatisfied with our stay at Key Lime, will never return and will never recommend to friends and family. Worst experience ever. The line was around the corner where the restaurant is when we arrive. We waited for over an hour. Manager started passing out the tag to the waterpark to the people in line when we were almost at the front of the line. They should have done that sooner as we did not expect to be checked in until 4pm. When it was finally our turn, the staff acted as if we should be grateful that they are checking people in before 4pm. We got there early to start playing in the waterpark, who cares about checking into the room early? We know when we reserve the room that check in is at 4pm but we can start using the waterpark at 1pm. They never even apologize for the long wait and it turns out, this is a regular occurrence in this place. Next day, there was a long line again. The manager, Dan came to talk to me when I started a fuss over the wait, maybe afraid that I will scare people away. He made empty promises about taking care of me during the stay. I did not even see or talk to him after that conversation. When we finally got to the room, the safe was not re-set, my husband had to waste time waiting for security to come, took almost an hour.This is a poorly managed place. The waterpark itself is not any better, small, crowded and overpriced. The Dells is definitely worth the drive because by the time you waited to check in you are only looking at an extra two hours of drive. Definitely worth it over a bad experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
slumi, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Dear travelerABC1,

On behalf of the entire resort, I would like to apologize for your family’s experience. Please know that we value each and every one of guests and strive to provide all of our guests with a splash-tacular stay.

The weekend of your stay was a very busy one for us here at the cove. I am sincerely sorry for your frustration with the check-in process. Please be aware that 4pm is our check-in time. However, we do offer guests the opportunity to arrive as early as 1:00 pm to begin enjoying the waterpark. When all of our guests arrive at the same time for both early check-in and waterpark passes it delays the process at the front desk.

We are looking into ways to expedite this process with options such as a line for only waterpark passes or a concierge desk. Please understand though that we did our best to accommodate you, including making sure you were checked in by 4pm.

Please feel free to email slumi@keylimecove.com if you do have any other issues that you want to address. I would be more than happy to discuss a specific concern with you.

Thank you for giving KeyLime Cove the opportunity to accommodate you and your family.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011 via mobile

This is the best place in chicago water resort thank you. :)

• Stayed February 2010
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

This was actually the third time we stayed here. The first two times were not quite as bad. I would have to say this once pleasant park is going downhill quickly.

The front desk staff was incredibly rude, ignoring guests in front of them while taking phone call after phone call. The line to check in was unbelievable. It took over 45 minutes to check in, and this is not an exaggeration! The line stretched from the front desk all the way to the doors!

The entire place was chaotic, and seemed very overcrowded. Unattended children everywhere, doing whatever they pleased. The lifeguards did not seem to care one bit. And, not only were the children unattended, but they were foul mouthed and misbehaving to extremes. Our time here was very frustrating and stressful, and the staff was no help.

The rooms are showing their age and showing allot of wear and tear. The first time we stayed here, the rooms were nice. Now, they are stained, worn, and look dingy and dirty.

There also seemed to be an ungodly amount of people staying in some of the guest rooms- walking down the hall, I saw a family of TEN that had just checked in, trying to get in their room- when the door opened, I could see that they had the 2 queen room, just like us!

Checkout was just as bad as check in- long lines, unhelpful staff. The staff was just plain rude, and I could not believe the attitudes. They did not seem to care about any guest concerns.

Overall, I do not think we will be staying here again. I honestly kept waiting for a "Lord of the Flies" type scene to break out amongst the unruly kids that seemed to rule the place. It may be closer than the dells or any of the Wisconsin parks, but the travel time saved is just not worth it. I would rather drive to the dells and stay at the Wilderness than deal with the staff and clientele of this place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear lelei,

I sincerely apologize for your family’s experience and would like to thank you very much for your feedback as it has gives us the opportunity to improve.

Here at KeyLime Cove we take great pride in the top quality of our customer service, safety and security. Please know that everyone on our staff does everything possible to make sure all of our guests are safe and having a splash-tacular stay.

During the weekend of your stay, our check-in line was very busy which was due to a large number of guests arriving for early check-in and early waterpark access at the same time. Our front desk works as quickly and efficiently as possible but we will continue to work at expediting this process.

We want to thank you for letting KeyLime Cove accommodate you and your family and hope that you do give us the opportunity to do so again in the future.

Racine, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

My husband and I decided to take our three small children to Key Lime Cove for one night to spend a gift certificate we had gotten for Christmas. The problems started when we walked through the door. I had to wait in line for over an hour just to get checked in to our room. When we finally got to our room, we got changed and headed to the waterpark. It was SO overcrowded that we really didn't even attempt any of the slides for fear that we would waste all of our time in more lines... the children's pool was swamped, and the lazy river was so packed that you couldn't move an inch without someone bumping into your tube. Everything from the room to food to games was terribly overpriced. The room rate was much higher than you would spend for a nicer room at a nicer hotel in Wisconsin Dells. We had to wait a half hour just to pay for our breakfast buffet meal the next morning. The restaurant was empty, but they only had one person running the register. The food was awful! I'm not sure how anyone can screw up breakfast, but Key Lime Cove has managed to do so. The parking was terrible also - we had to park a half-mile away from the entrance where our room was - not a big deal except that you don't really want to walk outdoors in January! Needless to say, we won't be returning...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
slumi, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Dear cjlstock2004,

Please trust that your concerns have been passed on to our management team. Unfortunately during our peak times the lines both at check-in and the waterpark can be slightly longer than normal. However, we continue to work towards making everything even more convenient here at KeyLime Cove.

Our Food and Beverage Department is always working towards the most splash-tacular quality and service of the food in our restaurants and we appreciate your feedback. Thanks to our new manager at DW Anderson’s we expect many positive changes in the near future.

We want to thank you for letting KeyLime Cove accommodate you and your family.

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

This was our first indoor resort experience so we didn't quite know what to expect, but we were really pleasantly surprised. From the door, you felt like you were on vacation - the staff was all really gracious and helpful - none more than Dan the night manager. He seemed to be everywhere at once and always with a smile asking if everything was ok and if you were enjoying your stay. He's a great asset to the resort - we stayed two nights and even my kids were saying "Mr. Dan is so nice!" by the end of our stay.
We were super impressed with the water staff. They watched the water very carefully and we even got to watch them in training which was fun. We absolutely LOVED that the hot tub area is only for adults and it is strictly enforced - yeah! It was like a little calm oasis and we took advantage of it a lot.
We had an awesome time in the arcade where the staff was very friendly and helpful. It stays open until midnight so we would stay at the pool until it closed and then finish out the night there. The Leapin' Lizards area was a real surprise and the kids had a great time there. My daughter participated in a birthday celebration, decorated cookies, and all my kids participated in the Wii competitions each night. They could go down there and even just play checkers or color if they wanted to which was great!
We came thinking we would want to go outside the resort to buy our meals, but were surprised at the affordable options inside. The hotdog stand/pizza place was a hit with us!
We did have to wait in line about a 1/2 hour to register which I thought was a little tiresome and I pre-paid for a Fiji mani-pedi in the spa which I wouldn't do again because I wasn't all that impressed by it, but those were only little things compared to the overall awesome time we had. We would definitely go back!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We went to Key Lime Cove for the first time on Dec. 30th for a little getaway and for my birthday. My husband and I took our 4 year old. We wanted to go to a waterpark without having to drive so far to the Dells. It was a little pricey for the room but very comparable to other indoor waterpark hotels I checked out. I was nervous to go after some of the reviews but we had a good time and would go again! Here's a breakdown of our experience:

The Good:
Check in was fast.
Our room was nicely decorated, comfortable, and I'd give it about an 8 out of 10 for being clean.
Waterpark was a lot of fun! It of course is smaller than the dells parks, but it was nice not having to walk around too far to everything. The air was very warm, water temp was good, and they have the best toddler/kiddie area I have ever seen! It was gated and fenced in with a little pool and three small slides. My daughter had a blast here was not glad not to have huge buckets of water dumped on her head like at most parks. You get to stay as long as you want after you check out. This was great for us since we only stayed one night. Checked out at 11 and stayed until 4. We took a small bag with us and changed clothes in the locker room.
The arcade was fun.
Food was good, we had pizza, hamburgers, fries, turkey sandwiches, and chicken strips. Everything was hot, tasted good and was priced at what you would expect for a place like this.

The Bad:
Our worst experience was the terrible service and long wait at the pizza place outside the waterpark. The park closed at nine that night so they got slammed by people going for food afterwards. We waited in line for about 20 min, then ordered a large pizza, hot dog and drinks. Pizza was going to take 35 min, ok that was fine. But my husband stood there for another 15 to 20 min waiting for the hot dog and drinks. The fountain pop machine and cups were right there in front of him. All the cashier had to do was take 1 min to get the two drinks we ordered. The workers were unorganized, unfriendly and basically confused about what to do. There was no manager present. Lots of customers were getting mad. We finally got everything and took it back to our room.
Parking was hard to find.
They have luggage service but we didn't know about it until another guest told us. We wish check in would have told us so we didn't have to struggle with bags and a far walk.
The safe in the room didn't work. There were a few hairs on the bathroom floor.

Other than that, we were happy with it overall and would go back. Now better prepared to avoid those little problems!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!