“Really great experience!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Des Moines, Iowa
“Really great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

This was our first indoor resort experience so we didn't quite know what to expect, but we were really pleasantly surprised. From the door, you felt like you were on vacation - the staff was all really gracious and helpful - none more than Dan the night manager. He seemed to be everywhere at once and always with a smile asking if everything was ok and if you were enjoying your stay. He's a great asset to the resort - we stayed two nights and even my kids were saying "Mr. Dan is so nice!" by the end of our stay.
We were super impressed with the water staff. They watched the water very carefully and we even got to watch them in training which was fun. We absolutely LOVED that the hot tub area is only for adults and it is strictly enforced - yeah! It was like a little calm oasis and we took advantage of it a lot.
We had an awesome time in the arcade where the staff was very friendly and helpful. It stays open until midnight so we would stay at the pool until it closed and then finish out the night there. The Leapin' Lizards area was a real surprise and the kids had a great time there. My daughter participated in a birthday celebration, decorated cookies, and all my kids participated in the Wii competitions each night. They could go down there and even just play checkers or color if they wanted to which was great!
We came thinking we would want to go outside the resort to buy our meals, but were surprised at the affordable options inside. The hotdog stand/pizza place was a hit with us!
We did have to wait in line about a 1/2 hour to register which I thought was a little tiresome and I pre-paid for a Fiji mani-pedi in the spa which I wouldn't do again because I wasn't all that impressed by it, but those were only little things compared to the overall awesome time we had. We would definitely go back!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We went to Key Lime Cove for the first time on Dec. 30th for a little getaway and for my birthday. My husband and I took our 4 year old. We wanted to go to a waterpark without having to drive so far to the Dells. It was a little pricey for the room but very comparable to other indoor waterpark hotels I checked out. I was nervous to go after some of the reviews but we had a good time and would go again! Here's a breakdown of our experience:

The Good:
Check in was fast.
Our room was nicely decorated, comfortable, and I'd give it about an 8 out of 10 for being clean.
Waterpark was a lot of fun! It of course is smaller than the dells parks, but it was nice not having to walk around too far to everything. The air was very warm, water temp was good, and they have the best toddler/kiddie area I have ever seen! It was gated and fenced in with a little pool and three small slides. My daughter had a blast here was not glad not to have huge buckets of water dumped on her head like at most parks. You get to stay as long as you want after you check out. This was great for us since we only stayed one night. Checked out at 11 and stayed until 4. We took a small bag with us and changed clothes in the locker room.
The arcade was fun.
Food was good, we had pizza, hamburgers, fries, turkey sandwiches, and chicken strips. Everything was hot, tasted good and was priced at what you would expect for a place like this.

The Bad:
Our worst experience was the terrible service and long wait at the pizza place outside the waterpark. The park closed at nine that night so they got slammed by people going for food afterwards. We waited in line for about 20 min, then ordered a large pizza, hot dog and drinks. Pizza was going to take 35 min, ok that was fine. But my husband stood there for another 15 to 20 min waiting for the hot dog and drinks. The fountain pop machine and cups were right there in front of him. All the cashier had to do was take 1 min to get the two drinks we ordered. The workers were unorganized, unfriendly and basically confused about what to do. There was no manager present. Lots of customers were getting mad. We finally got everything and took it back to our room.
Parking was hard to find.
They have luggage service but we didn't know about it until another guest told us. We wish check in would have told us so we didn't have to struggle with bags and a far walk.
The safe in the room didn't work. There were a few hairs on the bathroom floor.

Other than that, we were happy with it overall and would go back. Now better prepared to avoid those little problems!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Over-priced...overcrowded...understaffed.

Most of the people that worked there were very friendly, but honestly lost and incompetent. That is the nicest thing I can muster about the experience.

CHECK IN is at 4pm...checkout at 11am...where as most hotels it is 3pm and noon respectively. So they trimmed a couple hours, no big deal. We arrive at 11am so the kids can play in the water park until check in...and hopefully get an earlier check in,.

We wait in line for an hour...get wristbands for the water park and are told they will call the cell when the room is ready. We walk into the waterpark...not a single place to sit...not one chair or table available...we make a mound of our belongings on the wet floor and let the kids play and wait...and wait...and wait...4pm comes and goes, our actual check-in time and I return to the lobby to wait in line for another 45 minutes...then the receptionist looks at me oddly and asks if we have already checked in...offers me wristbands for the water park and SAYS they will call when the room is ready. I freak out and expain we have been waiting for almost 6 hours...check in has come and gone...my wife already checked in...where the hell is our room? They give us a room...finally.

ROOM...well decorated, clean....with a hole...not a draft...but a 4 inch by 3 foot hole in the wall under the heater that doesn't work. We could literally hear and feel the sub-zero wind howleing through the room...it blew papers off the coffee table. I stuff a blanket in the hole..it reduces the wind, but doesn't stop it.

DINNER...we found the only sit down resturant...Tucan Grille and I hold out hope that we will at least get a decent meal and expect as much looking at the prices.

The first clue was when the kids meals arrived they came with a handful of ketchup packets...this was an expensive sit down restuarant. OK...fine...my wife and me get the seafood pasta...I ask for Parmessan cheese and they bring me a handful of parmessan cheese PACKETS to tear open.

I am hungry and tired and eat the crappy meal...my wife only eats a few bites...by the time we go to bed we are both running to the bathroom...that's right..food poisening..or something in that familty of food borne illness. It's not like we could sleep anyways with the wind howling through the room and the people screaming in the hallway until 2 AM.

The next day when I go to check out I explain that the room has a hole in the wall exposing it to outside air and that there is literally freezing wind blowing through the room. I get a blank stare and a "who cares" look from the receptionist and am handed the one noght bill for 218 dollars.

NEVER again.....stay here at your own risk...don't eat at the sit-down restuarant...maybe just day trip and visit the water park and stay the night someplace else. Otherwise consider the water park in Lake Geneva or Grizzly Jacks or one of the parks by the Wisc. Dells.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
slumi, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Dear Traveller234234,

Thank you very much for your feedback. KeyLime Cove works hard to make each and every one of our guest’s experiences a truly amazing and memorable one.

I sincerely apologize for the issues you faced throughout your stay. Although we are always working at speeding up our check-in process, guests can choose from fun-nomenal options such as: early check-in or waterpark passes until your room is ready. This makes your check-in process a little more expedient. We always encourage our guests to speak with our staff about any major issues, such as food quality, cleanliness, and security, as they have been trained to address and rectify your concerns in a timely fashion.

We want to thank you for letting KeyLime Cove accommodate you and your family and we do hope you will consider us again in the future.

Plainfield, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We visited Keylime Cove 2 years ago and had a great time. Prior to our trip this month, I read quite a few reviews online...many of them were negative so I was nervous in booking our trip. I called Barry (Director of Reservations) at the hotel to clarify a few things I had read online but he never returned my call. Nevertheless, we booked 2 nights stay from December 25th through 27th.
When we checked in, "Chris" at the front desk was very professional and friendly. He allowed us to check in early. We immediately noticed the difference from our stay 2 years ago. The rooms, although nice, had taken a beating. The furniture had many scratches, the tiles in the bathroom were cracked, the clothesline in the bathroom wasn't working, the bathtub didn't drain properly, and there was an overpowering smell of mildew. The refrigerator wasn't working so we called the front desk. Pleasantly surprised, they sent someone within 5 minutes of our call and the fridge was replaced immediately.
We enjoyed the waterpark facilities immensely. The lazy river was a favorite as well as the kiddie pool area. Our only complaint was that the lifeguard in the kiddie pool didn't really do anything when teenagers were in the area and playing very roughly around the infants and toddlers. Our kids were kicked and pushed by teens (who were horseplaying) on their way down the purple slide. The lifeguard witnessed this and didn't control the situation. The irony is that I saw a lifeguard chasing and yelling at 2 girls on their way out of the facility because the girls had forgotten to return the towels. Otherwise, the waterpark facility was fun, clean and well managed.
Everyone that helped us at Keylime Cove was very nice and friendly (housekeeping, bellhop, waitresses/waiters, lifeguards, etc.)....that is, until we checked out. I had been waiting in line for about 10 minutes. When it was my turn to checkout, "Sam" who worked at the front desk called me over and said that he need to do some other things before he helped me. I was okay with this. I waited a few minutes and he came back to check me out. Everything was running smoothly. I asked for a copy of my bill and looked it over. There was a charge of $25 for "additional guest." In reading all the negative reviews on KLC, I knew that it was VERY difficult (almost impossible) to get back our money once the resort erroneously charged our credit card so I asked him about this and he said "you had an extra person in your room." I told him we didn't. Under our KLC298 deal, we were allowed to have up to 5 people in our room however we only had 4 people in our room. He kept telling me that we had an extra person in our room and he kept pushing the billing back to me. I asked that he credit our account because we didn't have an extra person stay with us. After much persistence from me, he grudgingly typed a few things in the computer, investigated and figured out the issue. (My sister in law had purchased an all day pass however the charge showed up on our account even though she paid for it on her own credit card).
Our surprisingly pleasant experience at KLC ended in quite an unpleasant one due to the unprofessional, unfriendly work of one staff member at checkout. Very disappointing...

Dear sphan500,

Thank you very much for reaching out to us. We truly appreciate all of our guest feedback.

I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed the waterpark, as well as our resort staff. We pride ourselves on great customer service and it seems like you experienced this throughout your stay. I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication with your additional guest charge. Please know that we value each and every one of guests and strive to provide all of our guests with a splash-tacular stay.

wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

After reading some of the reviews, we were apprehensive. To say the least, we found:

Courteous staff at all times. Never rude, went out of their way to help. We had 2 - 4 year olds and an 8 year old and grandparents. Booked several rooms, - ABSOLUTELY SPOTLESS. Believe me, we are picky about our travel accomodations. If there was a negative - the refrigerators didn't get cold.

Food - Decent and the ice cream parlor by the arcade has a 10 oz angus burger that was one of the best yet! Pizza was better in the ice cream parlor. Staff was pleasant and courteous. We saw and heard people who were just plain rude to the staff and overly demanding. We got everything on time, hot and delicious. Their chicken gumbo which was the soup of that day was really good! The one criticism I have is the snack shop inside the park. It takes a long time for simple nachos and it doesn't take one long to see that it is simple disorganization that could be fixed with staff who know what to do.

Lifeguards and attire - If you are scantily dressed in see though shirts and little shorts - you aren't going to be able to attend the water park. How some parents can let their daughters wear attire that is now swimwear and expect the staff to oversee this are out of line. You bring your own towels if you are going to go to your room and the hallways are quite warm and cozy if you forget your homebrought towel. The white and blue striped stay in the park as should be.

We will not hesitate to rebook again and again. Never once did we see staff mistreat or overeach. If you are dressed inappopriately for the family pool - you will be told so.

As for slippery surface - we spent extensive time in the pool areas and never saw anyone slip or did we find the areas to be overslippery. You walk, don't run and even the little ones scampered around uninhibited.

Even with the rooms booked, the hallways were quiet, not a peep on the days were were there. Past 10 everyone seems to be tucked away.

Well done Key Lime Cove. 100% booked and they managed everything very well.

Solid performance on all accounts!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Everyone who worked there was beyond nice!!!! I have never been called "mam" so many times. Employees went out of their way to say hello to us as we were just walking down the halls. We had a wonderful two day stay. We checked in late sunday night and checked out wed morning. That was long enough if you are not leaving the hotel to do anything outside. My kids (4 and 6) LOVED it. We usually go to Wis Dells every few months and thought we'd try something closer...I was pretty sure it would not live up to the Dells. It was neck and neck.

I have not one negative thing to say about the place...okay food was nothing special in the resturant. Nice to have the pizza and hot dog place just steps from our room and the entranace to the water park too. At the Dells we'd often walk for 15 minutes through the hotel just to get to the water park.

Oh and I do think you have to put your sign up for room service if you want it.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010 via mobile

My family and I went to Key lime Water Resort for Christmas this year and I don't think we will do that again. Check in was a breeze. My three grandkids, ages 5, 9, and10 had a blast but they didn't see what the adults saw. The staff was so rude and unprofessional until they actually made me sick. My two daughters were singled out and told they could not be in the water with shorts and a t shirt, yet there were 14 other people in the water with the exact same thing on, Two ladies with jogging pants on, a man with a pair of underwear on, an Arab woman was fully dressed all the way to the head garb . And my 2 daughters were the only ones asked to get out of the water! When we complained, we were told the others will be asked out of the water also. But they never were. The food was way over priced and nasty. When we got ready to leave the water park, we were told we could not leave with a towel. So we were forced to walk down the freezing hall with wet swimming suits on! The refrig would't get cold. Trip?

• Stayed December 2010
slumi, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Dear brendakaynash,

I sincerely apologize for your family’s experience and would like to thank you very much for your feedback as it has gives us the opportunity to improve. It sounds like your grandkids had fun and I’m glad they enjoyed the waterpark.

We do allow guests to wear a t-shirt or religious clothing over their swimsuits. However, due to Illinois State Health Codes all guests must wear swimsuits. Also, waterpark towels are kept in the waterpark at all times so that we can be sure to have enough for all of our guests. I apologize for this situation and have passed on your concerns to the appropriate managers.

Thank you for giving KeyLime Cove the opportunity to accommodate you and your family and we do hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Your friends at KeyLime Cove

Been to KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!