“Spend The Extra Money And Go To The Dells” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1700 Nations Drive, Gurnee, IL 60031   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dyer, Indiana
“Spend The Extra Money And Go To The Dells”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My family (two adults, one child age 8), just returned today from KeyLime Cove. We checked into KeyLime Cove yesterday, March 27, 2015. After check in, everything seemed fine. We put on our suits and headed to the water park. The water park is actually pretty small for the price you are paying to stay at this resort. But hey, we knew it wasn't the Dells so we made the best of it. We started by going into the lazy river/wave pool. Please note that this wave pool requires you to have a tube at all times so there is no swimming in the wave pool. We stood in the wave pool forever waiting for a tube so that we could play in this area of the water park. Most of the empty tubes that passed us by were deflated and none of the resort attendants bothered to pull them out of the pool and fill them back up. The basketball pool area is not deep (I believe about 3 feet) and the water felt slimy and dirty. If you're looking for a swimming area, this isn't the water park for you. The basketball pool area was packed so you could barely move in it anyways. The kids jungle gym was pretty neat, my daughter did enjoy playing on it. The slides are okay but be prepared to wait in long lines to go down them. Take into consideration that we were there on a weekend so it may be less congested during the week. The water park was not impressive and felt dirty. The locker room was filthy, wet toilet paper everywhere. After we left the water park, we spent the remainder of the evening in the arcade which was a decent size. We also visited the ice cream parlor where we ordered a banana split and the banana was forgotten. I know, how do you forget the banana in a BANANA SPLIT.

Jumping forward to the next morning, my family and I went to D.W. Andersons for breakfast. The omelete cook was entertaining and very nice, however, I didn't get to eat my omelete because right next to our table was an unattended child throwing up all over the floor. Instead of trying to find this child's parents or moving her away from diners, the staff gave her a garbage can to continue to puke in to and began sweeping the puke around the floor with a broom. Gross. There were a lot of unattended children running around the restaurant hacking on things without parents, this is especially gross because it's a breakfast buffet. Most likely, parents send their children down alone for breakfast but the restaurant attendants didn't seem to regulate this.

After the breakfast disaster, we checked out and headed back to the water park so our daughter could get a little more play time in. Again, no tubes for the wave pool/ lazy river but the deflated ones. We also couldn't get any tubes for the water slides this time. When it was time to leave, someone stole my daughter's shoes (now this is my fault for leaving our things out but as you will notice at this water park, most people have their flip flops out with their towels). Just thought I'd throw that in there so you're careful with your things there.

Long story short, my family and I will not be returning to this water resort. It is NOT worth the money. We visited the Kalahari last year in the Dells and it was WAY more accommodating, clean, and the child supervision and rules were better. The price is about the same as well so I expected a lot more out of KeyLime.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Waterman, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We just got back today from an over night stay. The kids had a good time but as an adult who was paying for it all I was not impressed. We got into our room and nobody told us if you get a queen deluxe suit you have to request to get one with a table so we didn't have one. The corner where the table would have been was cut off because it is the second bedroom when you book a suit. The door going into the other room is on the cut off corner and not very sound proof. We ate at the little restaurant off the game room, the waitress was rude our table was dirty and the waitress just wiped it off with her hand. Then 25 minutes later when we finally got our food it was just ok. They have not improved the clear tube situation at all not enough of them and they wouldn't let our two 10 year old girls in the deeper part of the wave pool without a tube. They are tall and could still touch the bottom I don't get it. Someone had used our bathroom before we checked into our room and never flushed the toilet! Totally disgusting! We wanted a 12:00 check out which we were told they don't offer but for 60.00 we can stay until 3:00. I have been to a lot of water parks and this one rates very low on my list to go back to. Will drive the little extra to go to the dells.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

We had a great time staying at Key Lime Cove Resort! The rooms were VERY clean, and the upkeep of the place is well maintained. Only complaint I have is the pillows were flat. We didn't eat at any of the restaraunts in the resort bc I am a picky eater and didn't want to try anything new. There are plenty of restaraunts in the area to go to. The town "look" was inviting but all the shops were expensive. The arcade is big and has lots of fun games for kids of all ages but is very pricey!! There is a Chuck-E-Cheese next door if you'd prefer spending less. The water park was fun but there wasn't a big pool for teenagers to swim in..and the pool they do have there, people played water basketball in. The only thing this indoor water park needs is a wave pool!!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Had a great stay at KeyLime ! The water park was very good for our 7 year old, with plenty of slides, both tube and body, and a great lazy river and wavy beach area. The rooms were big, clean decorated in a nice island theme. There are decent enough restaurants in site and some very yummy pastry, coffee and ice cream spots.

Stayed March 2015
Holly W, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
IaTravel,
We’re so glad you had a great stay with us! It sounds like your son had a SPLASH-TACULAR time in our 65,000 square foot waterpark, Lost Paradise, and that your accommodations were quite comfortable.
One of our six dining options, Island Temptations, offers a tempting array of fresh baked goods and sweet treats. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed it!

Thank you so much for splashin’ with us! We can’t wait to welcome your family back to the FUN-SHINE soon.
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

If you are looking for somewhere for a weekend getaway this is the perfect place. The hotel ambiance is wonderful, from the moment you step into the hotel you feel like you are in Florida! The staff are very attentive and helpful. One of the managers even remembered me from the previous day when I had spoken to her.

The water park area is small compared to places in Wisconsin, but for my two children (4&6) I found it perfect. The lifeguards were constantly checking and observing everyone and I felt my children were safe in the water the entire time.

You must check out the breakfast buffet. For $13 per adult you can get made to order omelets, home made waffles with a topping station. They also have fruit, muffins, pancakes, bacon, sausages, toast, biscuits and gravy, cereal etc. It was a wonderful array of food.

The kids club area is a wonderful addition to your stay if you have children. Everyday they have a free craft to do. While we were they my children made a necklace and a wooden glider. They also have games to play and a coloring competition each day. (my 4 year old did not win but they gave her a KeyLime Cove tattoo and she thought she had won she was so happy! They have other craft activities you can purchase, we painted pottery for $8 each. The staff there are very friendly. Two of the ladies were practicing making balloon animals when we were there one morning and they attempted to make an octopus and a dalmatian for my children. I was very impressed!

I was thoroughly satisfied with my time here and really do recommend this resort!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Holly W, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear ChicagoFruitSalad,

Wow! What a wonderful review of our resort. We’re thrilled to hear that you felt instantly transported to paradise – that’s exactly what we aim to do! It sounds like your children had a fabulous time in our 65,000 square foot waterpark, Lost Paradise. Thank you for noticing the attentiveness of our lifeguard staff. They undergo rigorous training as safety is our number one priority at KeyLime Cove. I will be sure to share your wonderful feedback about the breakfast buffet with our team at D.W. Anderson’s, one of our two sit-down restaurants.

Our FUN-tivities center, Leapin’ Lizards, offers several crafts and activities throughout the day. The staff will love that you appreciated their efforts to create balloon animals for your children. We’re always coming up with brand new ideas to “mix it up” to keep our FUN-tivities fresh!

Thank you splashin’ with us! We look forward to seeing your family again very soon.
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We visited KeyLime with another family in March 2015 and stayed only one night.
We arrived around 2pm. Our rooms were not ready (as expected) so we went right into the waterpark.
The rooms were available on time (right around 4pm) and they texted us to tell us.
The luggage service was nice as all I had to do was drive to the front entrance... and the KeyLime team took it from there.
I checked about 15 minutes later and the luggage was all in our room, arranged nicely against the wall.
The restaurant upstairs was decent for the price. I thought it was a Mexican restaurant but it turned out to have all kinds of options. Nothing spectacular but their $4.00 margaritas were good. Apparently you have to ask for them.
A couple things that I'd improve if I owned the place:

1. There was just one (at times) lifeguard running the line for all five slides. Even when there was two, the second one simply handled the two "body slides" which hardly had any line at all. This caused the 3 "tube slides" to back up. The line was quite long and it was frustrating to watch 90 seconds go by between the times when people were allowed to go down the "Bowl" slide -- a ride that lasted less than 30 seconds anyway. A little efficiency in this area would have increased my rating of the facility.

2. While the waterpark bracelets acting as the room key and a method of payment seemed like a good idea, there were some unintended consequences. Most notably, you can't send your kids to the room to grab something... because the key is attached to your wrist. Only the adult bracelets could double as keys. PRO TIP: put your bracelet on loose enough so that you could slip it off if the kids need it to run back to the room. Luckily for us, we learned from our friends before it inconvenienced us.

All in all, a decent place. No real complaints. Everything was clean and the kids loved the arcade. There were plenty of lifeguards and towels. A few tweeks here and there and I'd be willing to say it was above average.

Room Tip: First floor is best because you are on the same level as the entrance to the waterpark.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Holly W, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
David H,
Thanks for coming to see us! We’re glad to hear that our luggage and front desk staff were of assistance, and you enjoyed the specialty margaritas at our Crazy Toucan Margarita Grille.

I will be sure to share your feedback with our aquatics and front desk team, as we continuously strive to provide better service. We truly value the feedback from our guests. Creating the ultimate “paradise that’s just a few miles away” has always been our goal!

We most certainly hope to welcome your family back to KeyLime Cove soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

First time visit this weekend. Very kid friendly. Room spacious and clean. Staff very friendly and helpful. Plenty of activities to keep the little ones engaged. I was glad to have a room close to the water park area, as requested, but next time may ask to be a couple of floors higher due to being 2 doors away from the elevator on the first floor and the noise level was quite elevated as the water park closes and guest make their way to their rooms.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
M. Smith,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort. At KeyLime Cove, we pride ourselves on our high level of customer service. It certainly sounds like we delivered for your family!

We do have quiet hours in effect from 11pm-8am, but we can understand that some guests may prefer to be away from the elevators. You can certainly request a different room for your next visit!

We hope to welcome your family back to the FUN-shine soon.

Been to KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!