“What? A resort fee on top of the over-priced room” 3 of 5 stars

KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1700 Nations Drive, Gurnee, IL 60031   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
GreenLeadersSilver level
“What? A resort fee on top of the over-priced room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My family and I decided to pay a visit to KeyLime Cove the first weekend in January. We were given a gift card to use a couple of years ago and thought it would be the perfect time to use it. we wanted a little get away before school started.

We arrived in Gurnee about 3:00 and check in was a mess. It was so busy and we must have waited about 20 minutes for our room. Once checked in we unloaded in the front of the hotel, which the attendants were very pleasant. My kids and I waiting in towards the shops so my husband could park the car. The check in area is pretty big and there are about 4 shops on the main floor which looked very nice. We did not go in because I didn't want to spend more money this trip. Everything looked very clean.

Once we got to the room which was the very last room down the hall - this place is pretty big. I would say the majority of the area is rooms because the water-park is pretty small. The room was clean but not well stocked. We immediately ran out of Kleenex and toilet paper. We are a family of five so I understand running out but not 10 minutes into our stay. I called down to get more and they came in a pretty timely manner - very pleasant also.

Once we were all settled we made our way to the pool area. I have to say that for the size of the pool area this place is extremely over-priced. We have been to bigger and better waterparks in the Wisconsin area and never have paid anything close to what we paid for an over night here. Also they charge a ridiculous amount resort fee. The pool area was extremely crowded so I was thankful we found some chairs around a table. It was across from the wave pool which my children spent most of their time in. The only bad thing about that area was it had a horrible smell, like feet. It was very off putting. It was also so hot in the pool area. I felt it could have been just a couple of degrees cooler. Even when I went in the water and came out I was extremely overheated. It was very uncomfortable. The wave pool was a little disappointing, very, very small and the lifeguards kept yelling at my 12, 11 and 7 year old to get back and they didn't understand why. It would have been nice if they explained to them why they couldn't go any further in the water.

The lay out of the wave pool/lazy river is very nice though. I like the design and the way the current just pulls you towards the lazy river without having to actually get out of your inner tube towards it. My kids did enjoy the water-slides and basketball area.

There was music playing all the time which I thought was very nice, except for the song "Let's Get Drunk and Screw". I thought that was extremely inappropriate and I hear it about 3 times during our stay. This is a family resort I thought.

Another disappointing area was there was only 1 bartender at the bar in the water-park area. My husband must have been gone for a good 20 minutes to get 2 drinks. They were extremely overpriced and watered down. The bartender was horrible.

We decided to eat at the Crazy Toucan that evening. The waitress was very nice but extremely slow. I think that she had way more tables then she could handle. We did not get drink for about 20 minutes and we only ordered 1 drink from the bar. The food was really good though except for mine. I ordered the steak fajita's and my steak was burnt so bad that I couldn't even eat it. We started off with an appetizer, Cuban nachos. They were delicious and everyone seemed to enjoy them, they didn't last very long. My 12 year old ordered a chopped salad wrap with fresh fruit. It was huge. It would have been really good except she did not like the blue cheese on it. It was a great dinner for the price. My 11 year old ordered the jalapeno BLT wrap which was spicy (he likes it spicy though) which was also a great size meal for the price and their fries are really good. My 7 year old went with the jumbo deep fried shrimp. He could only eat a couple of them (i had to help out) but also a delicious meal. The shrimp were gigantic. My husband ordered the mahi and crap duet. It looks amazing and he said that it was very good. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meals, it was just unfortunate that my meal was burnt. I would probably visit that restaurant again for the other meals because they were tasty.

After dinner we looked around and they happened to have a kids craft corner which was a big hit with my kids. It was nicely set up and the attendants were very pleasant. Outside the craft area were 2 women with a snake and a baby alligator. The only thing that disturbed me was they had packing tape around the baby alligators mouth. Now I can see they would be afraid that it might snap at someone but there has got to be a better thing to put around an animal rather than packing tape. It seemed liked animal cruelty.

Over all this was a fun weekend with my family but I don't think I would ever go back. It is way to overpriced for the experience. We can go up to the Dells in the same time and get a better, bigger room with much bigger and multiple water parks. This resorts seems perfect for families with small, toddler children but not the age my children are.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators. This hotel is pretty big, alot of walking so if you have sma...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Kankakee, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The resort is nice, this is the third time I've been here with my family. The problem I have is the resort charging a $25.00 resort fee on top of the $179.00 a night plus taxes fee. I was told the resort fee was to cover the amenities. Well the amenities they offer are standard at other hotels and they work. If they want to charge a resort fee than the resort had better be perfect.

The wifi in the room does not work. If you get a signal and connect it is very very slow and unusable.

The hair dryer in the room did not work. Turn it on and all it did was smoke and smell like it was on fire.

When we arrived in the room we found the room refrigerator to be turned off and warm inside. We had to turn it on a wait for it to cool down several hours bettor the sodas we brought where cold.

The home radio they advertise for the rooms are not only out of date but it didn't work. They are setup with 30 pin dock connectors which none of the new Apple products use. My son did have an older iPod with him and we plugged it into the dock but the radio did not work.

We were also disappointed with the in house restaurant The Crazy Tucan. Before deciding where we wanted to eat in the resort or leave and go to Joes Crab Shack across the street for dinner we looked at the menu online for the Crazy Tucan. We decided to stay on property and eat at the Crazy Tucan and we where disappointed with the food. The menu online is not the same menu you order from in the restaurant. There are items online that don't exist in the restaurant. Unfortunately those items are what he wanted to order and why we stayed at the resort for dinner. I ordered the Cajun shrimp and chicken pasta for $18 and was very disappointed to find out it only comes with three small shrimp and some bland tasting canned cream sauce not worth the money.

We alway have a nice time at the resort but for the prices they charge they really need to step it up a couple of notches. The resort fee is a joke get it of it.

Hotel is noisy at night with door slamming and kids running around but it is a family resort so that is going to be hard to avoid.

The final issue we had was with the 4 water slides the main attraction for the kids. The lines are moving way to slow. They only had two lifeguards working up by the four slides. They would take their sweet time and only load one person at a time and send them down the slide. It was almost like they don't care. The resort should have 4-5 lifeguards working the slides. One person for each slide and a floater to help out. They need to load these slides as fast as possible and send the people down. This is what we are paying for at this resort.

Room Tip: The free wifi in the rooms does not work it is very very slow if you even can connect to it.
Joliet, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Great family place. We came on the weekend so it was very crowded and noisy. People everywhere! You must remember to have patience and be able to wait your turn and be courteous to others.I came with my son and his 2 little ones and my daughter-in-law and my significant other, All of us enjoyed ourselves. Very clean ,rooms and park itself and in general, the whole resort. Located by many chain restaraunts, none within walking distance tho. Resort restaraunts and any food that you purchase is very expensive. But when you have little ones sometimes it is better to stay where you are then put them in the car to go somewhere to save a few bucks. I would like to visit next time during the week when it is not so crowded.Enjoyed myself immensely.

Room Tip: All floors very noisy due to kids running everywhere
Green Features: Yes, recycle bins everywhere and master light switch turns off all lights
Hermansville, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I would give this resort five stars if it had not been for the horribly loud guests in the hallways after 11:00 p.m. The running, yelling, knocking on our door and banging last well past 1:30 a.m.. We called the front desk and told them and they said another room had also called and they were going to send security down that way. If security ever came their efforts to halt the noise was in vain. I have never had such a sleepless night in a hotel that is supposed to hold itself to high standards and family fun. The next day they offered us a late check out of 2:00 p.m. for the inconvenience. We'd like to stay there in the future but offering a late check out is just "too little" for the "huge" inconvenience.

Plainfield, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Keylime Cove is wonderful and takes you to a tropical paradise. It is best to go in the winter. For couples the jacuzzi rooms are the best. The waterpark is never over crowded since only people staying at the hotel can use it unlike lots of other indoor waterparks which are only concerned about making max profit. The lazy river is our favorite thing about the waterpark!

Room Tip: Couples jacuzzi rooms are great. Very clean and comfortable
Green Features: Wonderful and more hotels should do these things. The unnecessary washing of all towels everyday day is a good concern since it being a waterpark it use up lots of water already.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Great fun! Would go back any time. Clean areas all around. Good restaurants to eat right on campus. Xoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxo xoxoxo xoxoxoxoxo xoxoxo xoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxo xoxoxo xoxo xoxoxoxo xoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxo xoxoxoxo xoxoxo

• Stayed January 2015
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

TWO majors problems

1. Slow, inefficient service/procedures

2. Equipment in need of general maintenance

For the money we spent, Keylime needs to do some improvements. The major waterslides lines are ridiculously slow. The lifeguards at the top meander around chatting while we wait for them to acknowledge us.. tighten the procedures here and we wouldnt have to wait in a seven person line for 35 minutes. The off duty lifeguards took turns cutting in line while we waited forever. We wondered why NO ONE used the body slides and we were happy to not have to wait in a line... come to find out that every seam in the slides all the way down felt like razors on your skin... These slides need repair! The waterfall was broken.. which added to the lack of ambiance in the lazy river. I spent $36 on stall pasteries and sweets at the cute little bakery... :( We saw a lifeguard jump in to grab a 3 year old as he was being sucked into the mouth of the lazy river... which was great! she was on the ball. BUT she then directed him towards "shore" and had to get back to her post... so he was not handed off to an adult (his father was not inside the facilty #dadfail but he really was still in harms way... a supervisor should take over after a "save"... but no supervisor was around. WHISTLE should = supervisor stepping in to debrief situations.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Been to KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!