“A few issues, but the service was good” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Six Flags Ride and Slide
Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Gurnee
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A few issues, but the service was good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and were happy with the bright colors and tropical theme. The lobby area and first floor were very welcoming and cheery. The first issue came when we checked in to a room with dirty bedding. There were visible globs of some unknown substance on the comforters and after pulling back the sheets they were also stained. The carpet was also in need of a deep cleaning. We quickly called housekeeping and they came and changed all of the bedding for us. The two reps that came were very friendly and helpful. The bathroom didn't seem to have any issues.

We spent a lot of time in the waterpark which is great for kids 10 and under. There are two slides that you can use 1 or 2 person inflatables to ride, 1 funnel-like slide, 2 body slides and a great kids area with 4 or 5 slides. The slides in the kids area have about 12 -15 inches of water at the bottom which was perfect. My niece is 6 years old and 49 inches tall but isn't a strong swimmer. She was comfortable with riding all of the kids area slides by herself and I went with her on the larger ones. Beware, the large slides do require you carry an inflatable tube up 3 stories of stairs. The lines weren't long, but after several trips up the stairs with an energetic 6 year old, I needed a break. They also let adults ride the slides on the kids area and we did this until she wore me out (but only 1 person at a time for safety). I was happy with the staff presence in the waterpark, they seemed to keep a close watch and there were always several walking around and monitoring the top of the slides.

The hotel does have posted quiet hours for the hallway but they are not enforced at all. You could hear kids running in the hall well past midnight and it sounds like a stampede. The beds are also not very comfortable so I tossed and turned and slept light the entire stay. One of the queen beds in our room had a visible dip in the middle.

The hotel shuttle goes to six flags every 15 minutes and drops you off right at the front gate. Very convenient! They also have discount tickets for $42.

Overall, I would probably return because my niece loved it. I would just recommend a short stay. We stayed 3 nights and 1 or 2 would have been plenty.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator. We were about 10 rooms from the elevator and the convenience...

821 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

3 families in addition to ours decided to do a Saturday-Sunday at Key Lime Cove in June - it was a fantastic experience. We had 8 kids ages 3 months-6 years with us and there was stuff to do for everyone. The most surprising (and delightful) thing about our stay was how reasonably priced everything was. Also they were more than happy to connect the reservations of the four families that went on the trip and we were all next to each other, which was great.

They have a restaurant and food courts, none of the food was overpriced - it would have been the same to eat at the off site outlets (of which there are many in the area). You merely have to check out life vests and tubes (no renting them).

We also found that every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. Several went out of their way to accommodate requests or just greet people as they passed by.

The entire hotel was extremely well maintained. Sunday morning we even spotted a staff person wiping down the fake shrubbery - if they're going to schedule that level of cleaning, you know that the rest of it is getting the attention it deserves. The pools looked great, they did not have a heavy chlorine smell and - wait for it - the life guards actually guard the pool. It's a young staff, but they are diligent in their monitoring of the pool area. They are constantly looking in and around tubes (which are all helpfully clear) and do not socialize and chat with one another while on duty.

The pool areas were great for a variety of ages. I would say this skews tween and younger. There is a mini pool area with small slides that even my 1 year old was able to enjoy.

We used the arcade and again they had baby games and rides that were appropriate for my 1 year old in addition to stuff for older kids. They also had a coloring area and some pop up activities (live lizards, etc.).

A very convenient system they have in place is that your wristband unlocks the room (and can serve as a credit card), so you don't need to bring anything with you to the pool, but if you choose to, then they have lockers. They give you access to the pool starting at 1pm the day you check in (check in is officially 4pm but our rooms were ready at 2pm when we arrived and they let us check in early). You can use the water park the entire day of your departure and then change in the pool area changing rooms. (Check out was at 11 am).

You cannot bring your own floats. If you have your own life vests for your kids, they have to be coast guard approved or they are not allowed. You are not allowed to take the towels from the pool area and they are on the small side. Because of the temp difference between the water park and the hotel, I would recommend robes, beach towels or cover ups for the kiddos.

Hotel rooms are very standard and similar to a Holiday Inn-level. All of them have a small fridge. The suites have a microwave as well. We had a king standard room that included a sleeper sofa. It worked great for us. We brought our own pack n play since we drove.

When you check in, they offer to text you offers throughout your stay - I would recommend this if you don't mind the texts. They also offered us a discount for our next stay (there was also a discount on the parking pass). We are looking forward to our next stay!!

*Side note - there are often Groupons for this place. We booked without a Groupon and the cancellation policy (pay $35) makes it not worth it to cancel your reservation, buy the Groupon and rebook - so be sure to check for discounts before you book. We used the 10% off AAA discount. I believe there's a 15% teacher discount. I think kids under 3 are free, so make sure you aren't getting charged for them in your room.

The only negative of the whole experience is that the wifi was free but pretty non-existent.

Room Tip: Gurnee is not very scenic, so I wouldn't worry about the view. The standard room was good (all...
Joliet, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Keylime Cove is listed as the "Official Resort of Six Flags Great America" and has wristbands not only to access rooms and the waterpark but also hold the capability of purchasing items, on KeyLime Cove grounds, they can be pre-loaded or paid for upon checkout. I locked up my Wallet in the Room Safe and was Cash/Credit Card/ID Free for the remainder of my stay.

We saved alot with Groupon - Just $118 for the Queen Deluxe Guest Room (2 Queen Beds + Sofa Sleeper) on a weekday; then UPGRADED (based on availability) to the Toucan Suite for just $125 more. Next time we'll do Captain Dave's Presidential Suite.

Keylime Cove is also affiliated with the VOILÀ Hotel Rewards - similar to the networks Star Alliance and OneWorld provide for frequent flyer programs. There is an Express Check-In lane adjacent to the Front Desk Reception area - all I did was enroll online prior to my stay.

The Dining options were Excellent - The Crazy Toucan is great for a late afternoon lunch, Happy Hour, or an early Dinner (and there is a Veranda overlooking the Waterpark with cocktail tables) - and D.W. Anderson's offers a Morning Breakfast Buffet and menu service. Anna Chovy's Pizzeria, Hot Diggety Dawgs, & Sharky's Big Bites are GREAT alternatives when grabbing a snack or enjoying drinks poolside.

There are plenty of Adirondack Chairs throughout the waterpark - though I prefer the padded Chaise Lounges. The kids had a BLAST and I was able to relax with my wife in The Grotto - which is a secluded area reserved for adults consisting of a whirlpool.

Free Shuttle Service to/from Six Flags saved me the $25 parking fee + the time & effort.

We'll be back next year for our 2015 Keylime Cove/Great America 2-Day Getaway!!!

Jim Deimer
deimers@aol.com

Room Tip: Key Largo Wing Rooms are on the south end - Key West Wing areare on the north end
Mauston, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

From the moment we entered the resort we felt like we were appreciated and our business was wanted. The check-in was smooth and all amenities were explained thoroughly. Each employee that passed us in the hallway was pleasant and greeted us.

During the conference we were checked on often by audio technicians and management to see if there was anything at all they could assist with. If a problem arose, they were immediately there to fix it.

The room was clean and had everything we needed.

The waterpark was monitored by diligent, alert lifeguards that didn't hesitate to stop unsafe activities. They continuously walked up and down their assigned areas and communicated to each other when necessary. We felt very safe and secure!

A wonderful, family-oriented resort that put the customer first! We WILL be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st or 2nd floor room. The waterpark is accessed from the 1st floor and the lobby and sho...
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Keylime cove is an awesome place for a family getaway. The exciting waterslides, vortex , and numerous other water activities are perfect for grownups and kids. Awesome experience and highly recommended for family. Thanks keylime cove.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Danielle W, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear avik61332,

Thank you for sharing your splash-tastic recommendation of our resort! We are thrilled to hear that your family had a good experience staying with us in paradise. It seems like everyone in your family was able to find a waterpark attraction that they enjoyed. Thank you again for sharing your comments. We hope to see you again soon!

See you in the fun-shine!
Your friends at KeyLime Cove
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My family love going to Water Park Resorts. This did not measure up if you have been to Great Wolf or Wisconsin Dells. First of all the Front Desk is rude and really give the impression they could care less about their guests. I had booked this room in January and paid for the first nights room months in advance. In the meantime the credit card I used was compromised in the Target breach that happened so my credit card company issued me a new card and told me to destroy the old one well when I got to Key Lime they made me pay for the first nights stay all over again instead of just charging what I owed for the rest of the stay because I had a different card number. I asked to talk to the manager and the boy at counter was gone for 30 minutes when he finally came back he told us we had to get out of line because the manager was in a meeting and we would have to wait. Well we waited another 30 minutes until my husband spotted the manager and went over to explain our concerns. He told us he this was the first he heard we wanted to talk to him and was very rude and acted like we were taking up his time. I would of liked to cancel the whole reservation but (like i'm sure they will say in their response to this review of all their policies all their responses is their insane policies) there is a 72 hour cancellation policy and I would of been charged anyway. They really don't care about customer service and making their customers happy. Once they have your credit card they know they got you. I wish I would of drove two more hours to Wisconsin Dells. I saw lots of people standing around waiting to talk to manager and looking very angry. They have a very slow check in policy and they have a line for guests waiting to check in and guests already checked in so it's so congested. So this set the tone for our whole stay and I did tell manager he ruined our trip and he basically said he didn't care. VERY RUDE!

Next they gave us a room which was nice but was a handicapped room and had no bathtub. We'll my children like to take baths so we called front desk and was told they give all guests a handicapped room but we were moved to a room that had a bathtub. It was also nice. We did have to go back to the dreaded front desk which of course had a huge wait because they forget to activate our new room so we could charge our credit card to our wristband (oh FYI well I was at the bar in waterpark a women had to go up to front desk three times because they told her, her credit card was connected to her wristband and it wasn't and she was gone forever also.) Rooms do have a fridge but no microwave. I had to go to vending area to heat up food I had earlier and had a wait behind me. I've never stayed at a resort that did not have a microwave in the room and had a community microwave. Also I heard a worker comment that they overbooked the hotel for the Fourth of July and had no clue what they were going to because all the guests had shown up! I think Keylime is all about the almighty dollar not their guests!!

Next the restaurants and arcade were very nice and workers were great! They should be moved to Front Desk because they seem to know how to treat customers!!

Pool area was nice and my kids enjoyed it. Not as big as Great Wolf and no outdoor pool. Did have alot of people waiting to get tubes because you could not go in lazy river if you did not have one. Lifeguards were excellent and did see they jump in to help a child.

Did cut my stay short and went home a day early because I was sick of dealing with issues in hotel. Thank godness for Six Flags, Gurnee Mills Mall, Jump America, and Jelly Belly Factory for getting us away from Hotel! Will never be back!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not handicapped if you want a bathtub.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Danielle W, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear mandy w,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you and your family may have experienced at our resort. Our credit card policy states that the original card used to make the reservation must be present at check-in along with a government issued ID in order to verify that the card belongs to the person checking in. The Target breach was a unique situation that affected a few of our guests. In order to address this issue, we refunded guests that called us, a few weeks prior to their arrival, about their compromised cards, held their reservation for them until they received their refund and then charged a new card for their stay. Since we were not made aware of your situation until you were already at the check-in desk, the only option we had was to refund your original card and charge the new card. We do have a 72 hour policy, which states that you forfeit your deposit if you cancel within 72 hours, but due to your situation, the Front Office Manager offered to refund the original card in full with no cancellation fee or move your reservation to a different date. After some discussion, you chose to keep your reservation, refund the original card and charge the balance of the room to your new card. As for your overnight room, we are pleased to hear that you found the rooms to be very nice. When you originally made your reservation online, you reserved our Two Queen Stateroom Accessible, which is a handicap accessible room type. However, our front desk was able to find an available standard room type to move your family to. We appreciate that you felt our crewmembers in the arcade and restaurants were very friendly. As for our lifeguards, they take the responsibility of protecting the safety of our guests very seriously. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We can only hope that you and your family would reconsider staying with us in the future so that we may improve upon your first impression of our resort.

Kindest regards,
KeyLime Cove Management
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stopped in for a one night visit to surprise our kids and they had an incredible time. They enjoyed all the waterslides and the lazy river. Since they are 8 and 10, they spent a lot of time in the arcade I think they liked that even more than the pool. The wristband keys that doubled as payment were convenient. I was most impressed with the food. Normally, I visit kid friendly hotels like this and the food is pretty bland, but there were several options and the food was quite good. The people working were friendly, upbeat and helpful. The lifeguards were in top of everything. We would definitely return.

Stayed July 2014
Dear hugliz,

Thank you for sharing your splash-tastic comments! We are honored that you chose our resort for your surprise family getaway. It seems like your Lil’ Limers enjoyed playing in Lost Paradise Indoor Waterpark. Our arcade, RipTide Reef, also appears to have been a big hit! We appreciate that you found our restaurants to offer a variety of key-licious food options. As for our crewmembers, we strive to provide a safe, clean and friendly environment for our guests. Thank you again for sharing your review with us. We look forward to seeing you and your family within our walls of paradise again soon!

Have a fun-tastic day!
Your friends at KeyLime Cove

Been to KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!