“Do not book a group, the process is disappointing :(” 2 of 5 stars

Cinco De Mayo Fiesta
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“Do not book a group, the process is disappointing :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

While I know many of these reviews are about those who have stayed at the resort, mine is different, as I have not had the opportunity to actually stay at this resort yet.
I have been trying to book a group block of rooms for my fiancé’s and my wedding in 2014. After visiting the site, we were so impressed by the bell staff, guest rooms, and overall feel of the facility. It was like a fairy tale. We could not wait to see our families’ faces when they walked in and saw how awesome it was.

Unfortunately, the dream was shattered when we tried to actually make it a reality. I reached out to the sales manager, Mr. Nick Farrel via voicemail only to never receive a call back. I followed up via email, to which he replied and blamed a change in the voicemail system, but promised that he would get back to me. Over a week went by with no return email, phone call, or voicemail. I reached out to the Catering Manager Elizabeth who was actually the most helpful person in the event department. We discussed my event and she passed the information along to Mr. Farrell.

Well, this is where it all went downhill. I heard nothing for several days, only to receive a sudden email from him out of the blue stating that he needed to know how many rooms I needed to send the contract. This was discomforting as I discussed all of this with Elizabeth. As it was quite apparent that Mr. Farrell was unable or unwilling to even try calling me on the phone, I reached out to Mr Sasso, the next in line supervisor. I could not help but feel so insignificant after my interaction with him. Mr Sasso did not even take the time to ask about my concerns, or why I would call him instead of Mr. Farrell. Mr. Sasso's first words were to explain that Mr. Farrell can not help me until he knows how many rooms I need. I then proceeded to explain that I had already exchanged emails and a phone call with Elizabeth, which contained all of that information. Although never stated, it was quite apparent on the phone that Mr. Farrell was also in the room during this conversation, which made the call quite awkward. They did eventually deliver a contract, but I did not feel secure in trusting them and the organization. I attempted to move further up the chain, but without success. Apparently the only supervisor above this level is the General Manager, and he must not take customer calls, because I was never permitted to speak to him or leave him a message regarding my complaint 180 reversal in emotions about working with Key Lime Cove based on such a very simply resolved customer service matter.

This may sound like a petty complaint, but during this entire interaction with Mr. Farrell and Mr. Sasso, neither party ever even said I am sorry for the confusion, lets get this worked out, or anything to the like. I never demanded anything free, did not ask for any discounts, never raised my voice. I only expressed that I did not wish to work with Mr. Farrell because I felt he did not care about my event, likely because he never even took the time to try and speak to me about it. The only person who did these things was Elizabeth. She was wonderful, but Mr. Sasso told me that Mr. Farrell would be the one that would have to handle the bookings, and I felt as if the veil had been lifted and I was seeing the "real" customer service.
It was obvious to me that Key Lime Cove knows that I am simply a source of revenue, and since my wedding is during the busy season, the business I would provide could and would be easily replaced. My fiancé and I loved the tour that we received from Jason the head bellman, and felt that our guests would love the feeling of being treated like royalty, which he made us feel. It is truly amazing how far a simple apology can go to make you feel important.
Although we have not completely ruled out working with Key Lime Cove, I have expressed these concerns to them with no response. I am posting this here as we have not heard back from any of the supervisors or managers to date.

I understand that now after posting this, the company may see me as a bad guy and no longer even be willing to work with me. It comes down to the fact that I think Elizabeth was the only one who cared or would listen to my concerns, but is she an anomaly? I do not know, but the captain steers the ship, and if the management is this unconcerned with how a guests feels, who is setting the good example for the rest of the staff? I can tell you who it should be, and that is Jason and Elizabeth.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Danielle W, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Adam R,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We sincerely apologize if you were at all dissatisfied with the customer service you received from our Group Sales Manager, Nick Farrell, and our Director of Guest Services, Richard Sasso. It seems like there might have been some sort of miscommunication or disconnect during the initial planning process. Please understand that July is one of our busiest months out of the year. It is highly requested by groups for weddings, family reunions, birthday celebrations etc. It can take a little longer to receive a contract for the summer months, as our Sales Manager has to check occupancy level, availability and pricing. We understand that you eventually obtained a contract as requested for your desired date of stay from our Director of Catering, Elizabeth Porter. Unfortunately, after some deliberation, you chose to go with another venue for your accommodations. We can assure you that it was not our intention to make you feel ignored or overlooked. We can only hope that you and your soon-to-be wife would consider staying with us in the future so that we may improve upon your first impression of our resort. Our best of luck to you and your fiancé on your new journey.

Kindest regards,
Your friends at KeyLime Cove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at Key Lime Cove and it has always been great, but this time was exceptional! The resort and rooms are very clean and ALL of the staff are very helpful and friendly. Check in was quick, efficient, and informative of the weekend's events and I had the pleasure to have the manager, Richard Sasso take care of us. Throughout our stay for the weekend I saw Richard really go out of his way to make sure to walk around the resort and care about make sure to check on the guests and the place. Richard sent a personalized letter to my daughter, along with a gift for her birthday. She was so happy! There were many events and things to do at the resort for the weekend, the best part being Santa! He was by far the coolest, nicest Santa we have ever met...we greeted him when he arrived, had storytime with him, and breakfast with Santa on Sunday! This was the same Santa that we met about 3 years ago! He took the time to get to know the kids and really spend quality time with each one with plenty of pics. The ladies in the arts and crafts area for the kids were wonderful and caring too!
Thank you everyone at Key Lime Cove for the very best experience, espcially Richard and Santa!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Danielle W, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Denise0519,

Thank you for sharing your fun-tube-ulous comments! We are pleased to hear that you chose to celebrate your daughter’s birthday with us in paradise. It seems like our Director of Guest Services, Richard Sasso, really made a wonderful first impression and helped to make your daughter feel extra special! We are happy to hear that you took advantage of our many holiday activities and crafts including “Breakfast with Santa”. Thank you again for sharing your wonderful comments about your stay and our staff. We are looking forward to your next stay with us in paradise!

Franklin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed here in December 2013. The front desk staff was excellent and very helpful. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The food is a tad overpriced but seems average for a water park resort. We will be back again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CMW0822,

Thank you for sharing your splash-tastic comments! We are happy to hear that you thought our front desk staff was very attentive and helpful during your stay. We appreciate that you found your overnight room to be very clean and well maintained. We are looking forward to your next stay with us in paradise!

Have a fun-tube-ulous day!
Midlothian, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Keylime cove is a great kid friendly hotel. Many great food choices. The staff is great in every area . Everyone was very friendly and quick to help. We have stayed at keylime cove 3 times in the last year. we have expericed super crowded and less crowded. the lifeguards are on top of there game. Every area i visted was clean. we took the shuttle bus to great america. my kids hade a great time playing trivia with the bus driver. many choices of food in the area if you want to venture out. we love keylime cove and will continue to be frequent visitors.

Room Tip: if your a smoker get a 1st floor room . quicker trip to the smoking areas. great views from the 4th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Danielle W, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear renee672,

Thank you for sharing your fun-TUBE-ulous feedback on our resort! We are thrilled to hear that you found our resort to be very kid-friendly. It seems like you were pleased with the number of food options available on property. We appreciate that you found our staff to be very friendly and helpful. It is very important to us that our guests feel welcomed from the moment they arrive to the second they leave. As for our lifeguards, they take the responsibility of protecting the safety of our guests very seriously. We are pleased to hear that you took advantage of our free shuttle service that takes guests to and from Six Flags Great America and Gurnee Mills Mall. Thank you again for sharing your comments. Looking forward to your next stay with us in paradise!

Hammond, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We surprised my 11 year old birthday girl with a stay here. We were so surprised at the cleanliness and friendliness of the entire resort. LOVE that the whole resort is tropically decorated! The water park is pretty big for being indoors. Not over crowded at all. Lots to do. Both my kids 11 and 17 enjoyed the rides. And there are SO many life guards, it is so safe. Nice variety of restaurants to choose from, and reasonably priced. The arcade was so much fun too. We bought a special activity special for CHEAP and my kids played in the arcade for two hours and my daughter got many freebies to bring home. Only like 1 minute from Gurnee mall and Six Flags! We will definitely be back!

Dear Jacque C,

Thank you for sharing your FUN-tastic feedback! We are honored that you chose to stay at our resort to celebrate your daughter’s 11th birthday. It seems like your whole family had a very enjoyable stay. We are pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and the resort itself to be very clean. It appears that you were very satisfied with the number of lifeguards on duty in our waterpark, Lost Paradise. Our arcade seems to have been a big hit, especially due to the special you purchased for arcade tokens. Thank you again for sharing your comments. We are excited to have you and your family back with us in paradise again soon!

Mount Juliet, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Awesome resort! Loved everything about it. Super clean (and I am a neat freak), amazing waterpark for my kids (who are 15 months and 4.5 years old), and friendly staff. The waterpark didn't even smell of chlorine, but it felt so clean. The arcade was great as well. So much for kids and families to do. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Danielle W, Manager at KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Becky S,

Splash-tastic, thank you for sharing your review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed staying with us in paradise. It seems like you found our resort to be very clean and our staff to be very friendly and helpful. As for the chlorine in the waterpark, we use the minimum amount required by the state because of our advanced Ozone technology that kills 99.9% of bacteria, viruses, spores, fungus and mold. Ozone allows us to have some of the purest water anyone could swim in anywhere on Earth. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We hope to see you and your family again soon!

Have a fun-tastic day!
Normal, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

What a great place!! Every corner was clean, our rooms were so comfortable & convenient, employees were so friendly and helpful. The big kids (ages 15 & 10) thought the water slides were great! The little one (4) loved the wave pool...even though the lazy river tubes flow into the pool when the waves come up. It made it a little challenging to stay out of the way of the tubes. All the kids & grownups had tons of fun in the arcade. The variety & number of games meant fun for everyone. ALL of the games were working which seems to be rare at these types of places. We liked the game card concept instead of using tokens for everything. The number & variety of eating places meant everyone could find something nummy & the little shops provided Black Friday shopping without the crowds. We plan to make it an annual Black Friday weekend trip.

Dear Jacks590,

Thank you for sharing your fun-tastic comments on our resort! We are so pleased to hear that you found everything to be very clean and your overnight room to be comfortable. Our entire staff strive to make each and every guest feel welcomed from the moment they arrive to the second they leave. It seems like fun was had by everyone, of all ages, in your party. Our arcade, RipTide Reef, appears to have made the biggest impression with the number/types of games available. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. Looking forward to having you and your family with us again next year!

Your friends at KeyLime Cove

Been to KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!