“We loved everything about our stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Grandparents Month
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wheaton, Illinois
“We loved everything about our stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We decided to head out this past weekend for just a one-night stay for our 4, 12, and 14 yr-old kids. We had previously visited this hotel about 2 years ago and to be honest, I don't remember it being as positive last time; it wasn't terrible back then, just had a few issues that marred the experience. This time however, customer service reigned! Every store clerk, waitress, lifeguard-you name it and they each delivered fabulous upscale service. Also, since our last visit was some time ago, I almost expected to see, you know, wear and tear, dirty carpets, etc after all, this not a new hotel or anything and a waterpark hotel CAN get pretty abused! But, our room looked like a brand-new hotel room. Perfectly-painted walls and new carpet and I have to say, I just loved the bright tropical theme and decor. The main floor of the hotel-with the stores and tropical theme is just great; you really feel like you've been transported to a tropical location! If you have younger kids, I think that portion of the waterpark is perfect for those 1-4 years old; very shallow water area and 2 very mild slides and one pretty fast one perfect for the 3-6(?) yr-olds. You could easily "catch" the little ones as they came down, but the water was only 2 feet deep so a great fast slide for the "older" little ones who aren't ready for the big league slides. There's also a decent sized wave pool and lazy river which makes the oldernkids happy and there's a free-form area pool which my 14 yr-old took advantage of the basketball water hoops the whole time. There's body slides and tubes for the wave pool and other rides. It took us just over an hour to get to this hotel-and while it is no "Wilderness/Wis.Dells" in size or waterpark amenities, it was a fabulous quick get-away-surprise-for-the-kids-have-a-break stay. I thought the food was good, fairly-priced and also, the stores/gift shops not priced terribly (I mean I have seen much worse "hotel-gouging" when it comes to buying a trinket or a bag of pretzels). They did have some cute activities planned during our stay ( decorate your own cookie, make reindeer food, tea party-all included in the stay) but our stay was so short we just focused on the watermark! We will not hesitate to go again. My only complaint? They no longer have the Keurig "K-Cup" coffee makers in the rooms. (they do have regular coffee makers) This hotel two years ago is where I tried this coffee/coffee maker and became a K-Cup believer-and addict. I was so looking forward to having this coffee in the room. Please bring these back Key Lime Cove!

Room Tip: Rooms have 2 queen beds and sleeper sofa-enough room for 5 people; you cannot keep the fan on in the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Antioch, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Had a great experience at Key Lime Cove a few weeks ago! Definitely would go back.... Staff was upbeat, very personable!

Normal, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

From the very first phone call to inquire about possibly booking, to arrival and all the way through to check out this resort exceeded all of our expectations! My background is in hotel management (now retired) so I tend to be a little critical. All I can say is that if I had a business I would want this entire staff working for me! Where do they find so many great employees and how great the management must be. First of all in hiring the right people - not just taking any applicant that walks through the door then to properly train and finally to empower all employees to make decisions that leave every guest saying WOW! I have traveled all over the U.S. and Key Lime Cove is definately my #1 choice for all future vacations, family reunions etc. It has something for everyone of every age. I am on a very limited budget so I have to watch every penny and choosing Key Lime Cove was by far the best choice and my only choice for future vacations. You can't get tired or bored there is something new to do all the time. There are things that we missed because two days weren't enough! We already have a list of things to do on our next trip there - We'll be back. Special Thanks to Barry, Sarah, Nate, Sophia, Barbara, oh gees the list goes on...like I said the entire staff at Key Lime Cove - keep up the great job! One final note, in my years of hotel management in doing employee reviews no one ever received a perfect score because there is always room for growth or improvement. However, I give KLC A PERFECT SCORE as I can't find one negative thing to say : )

Room Tip: The Captain Daves Presidental Suite best value
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Just before Thanksgiving our family spent two days at KeyLime Cove. We can't say enough good things. Everyone staff member we met greeted us, everyone was friendly and attentive. A real welcoming feel. Facility was clean, rooms were comfy, lifeguards very watchful of everyone's safety, dinner in the Crazy Toucan was a good value with nice food presentation. A variety of restaurants with a good value for the price range. There were 11 of us and we had a wide age range of family members (young to great grandmother) and there was something for everyone to do. Looking forward to going back.

Morris, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Very impressed by the staff. I would love to meet the management of this find waterpark....they run a top-notch show. Fortune 100 could learn a lot off of the management of Keylime Cove. All staff members were very mannerly, professional, and courteous. The place was very clean. I took three girls (ages 10, 6, and 6) and we all had a blast. Waterpark had a great selection of slides, the "Bowl", water playground, lazy river, wave pool, hot tub, kiddie play pool, and a basketball pool. The life guards are the best I've ever seen (this is coming from a public pool manager). Food and drink prices were reasonable. The only shortcoming I could manage to conjure up (after a lot of effort) was there wasn't a place to swim...you either were getting off a slide or had to have a tube to be in the water. Rate it 5 stars.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

This place never gets old!! We go at least twice a year, just to get away for the weekend and it always excites us to be there. The water park is amazing and SAFE. The life guards are attentive, friendly and helpful. The facilites are clean and the restaurants have a variety of food to select from at reasonable prices. The amazing, comfortable and tropical rooms will make you feel like you are in the Bajamas!!! If you want to get away this is the place to go and have a good memorable time with the family!!

Room Tip: Connecting rooms are more spacious and you have more privacy when traveling with others
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We enjoyed our weekend stay in October 2011. The waterpark is smaller than Great Wolf or Kalahari, but fun for kids under 12. Lots of other nonswimming activities to do too. We had a Captian Dave's Suite - 2 BDR unit which we loved as a family of 5, but it wasn't cheap. The restaurants were very good and the service was excellent. We felt welcomed and our kids (5,6,11) tell us they want to go back often. We did not use the shuttle to Six Flags, we drove.
There are plenty of off property restaurants, shopping etc. nearby. The Spa was kind of small, but nice too.

Room Tip: Our kids loved having their own room w/2 doubles. Also a sofabed. King in Master. 2 Baths. Awesome b...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to KeyLime Cove Indoor Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!