“Santa Barbara Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Save Saved
You added Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao to your Saves list
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Santa Barbara Plantation | Porta Blancu, Nieuwpoort, Curacao (Formerly Hyatt Regency Curacao Golf Resort, Spa and Marina)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nieuwpoort
Davenport, Iowa
“Santa Barbara Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The location is just gorgeous which was made even better by the incredible landscaping and architecture of the resort. Staff go above and beyond... Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable--you couldnt ask for more. It was truly a magical experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you dont skip breakfast, as it was delicious-- and the choices are much greater than for o...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Jeff J,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad you enjoyed the meditation hike. It is one of my favorites with the great views along with the caves that you can explore.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon for another magical experience.
Philippe Eversdijk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Curacao
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

This is the second time staying at the Santa Barbara Beach & Golf resort. The property needs some updating in the rooms, but the grounds are still impeccable.

Great pool, great beach, affordable room service.

This hotel is excellent for honeymooners or anyone seeking a relaxing vacation.

We wish to compliment Xiandra of the front office who assisted us through the reservation process and was extremely helpful and efficient during our stay. The overall service at this hotel is excellent, but Xiandra was superb.

We will keep returning!

Room Tip: Ask for a Premier Water View room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Myrouck,

It's always great to host our island friends and family. Thank for for staying with us! Thank you for recognizing Xiandra! I can't wait to give her a shout out at our next employee meeting.

I hope to welcome you back again very soon!
Belo Horizonte, MG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

It is a good resort but for the price we can find better options much closer to downtown, like Marriott Resort and many others. Cleanness is not the strong part of the hotel team, the rooms were badly cleaned, just make beds and change towels! Food is OK but nothing special. The staff is cordial, but do not exceed expectations! I do not recommend and probably will not come back! Do NOT use the Ocean Encounters diving service at this facility! They charge you but do not give the service! The worst is that I've paid for a Full water view King room and receive a partial water view. The breakfast is rally bad, just a few options and no taste at all! The attendants are very friendly, mainly the reception lady!

Room Tip: I paid for a KING FULL view and receive a partial view!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear J M,

Thank you for your review. We take feedback from the Trip Advisor community very seriously. I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. It sounds like you had an issue with your room. Please, I urge you and all guests, if you have any problems while at the hotel, please call the front desk and let us fix it. If you weren't happy with your room, we would have been happy to move you to another room.

Again, I apologize for your experience and hope that you would be open to try us again on your next visit.

Valley Stream, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

When I arrived my room wasn't ready but Xiandra took excelent care of allowing me to freshen up in another room till it was set up. The best part of my stay was the treament from a great and friendly, accomidating staff. Breakfast greetings and service from sweet Sherrett always started us off on a good foot for the morning. Then while at Splash Rolly was funny and great with making some awsome drinks. When leaving Roduff, Lordenz assitised on all travel information and where to go, which was very helpful going into town. My birthday dinner at Shore was a great surprise and Sander was excellent, not only because he's the manager but because he took it upon himself to personnally take care of my table. I had such a blast that I plan on returning with friends and family especially after Ilona Faas and John said they'd make sure the stay will be a even better one. I'm happy we choose Santa Barbra Resort because it was the place place on the island !!!

Room Tip: The rooms are great we had aocean view, with everything we needed and more.
Dear Ed C,

Happy Belated Birthday! I am so excited that we could help you make it a very memorable birthday!! Thank you for recognizing so many staff members. I love to recognize the people who receive shout outs for great service!!

I hope that we can help you celebrate many more birthdays in the future!
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed 3 days at Santa Barbara and it is just a stunning resort property. The rooms were some of the cleanest I have ever stayed in. I joked with my husband that I was going to find one of the women cleaning rooms and stuff her in my suitcase to come home with me. Every time they came and cleaned the room smelled like apples when we came back. For a wife and mother whose biggest relief on vacation is to have someone else doing the cleaning and cooking this was awesome!

It is a good drive back to the hotel part of the property so while not too far from things to do it is still 20-30 minutes to most things. We pretty much stayed on the resort for this part of our vacation and just relaxed. There are two large pools and even though the resort seemed pretty full there wasn't a lack of chairs or space in or around the pools. There were 4 different places to choose to eat at, all made a different kind of food and had a range of prices. We ate most of the time at Medi, primarily because we both liked the food and it was comfortable and available whenever we felt like eating. There is a little place that also serves ice cream near Medi that is delicious.

One of the days I went to the spa and had the mommy-to-be massage. Oh this was the best part! The spa was gorgeous and again super clean. The staff was friendly and the massage was wonderful! The price for my massage was also not bad, especially compared to some of the prices I have seen at other resorts. The cost was only slightly more than what I have paid for the same thing close to home. She gave me a massage that focused on the tension in my shoulders just like I had asked her to do. Once I was done with my massage there was a shower basically in the room with 5 or 6 body jets and a shower head. She turned it on and warmed it up so I could go ahead and take a shower and wash off the massage oil before getting dressed to go back to my room. I was delighted!

If you are looking for a beach, there is one with sand and water, but it is obviously man made and on the small side.

I would stay at this resort all over again and the first place you would find me would be the spa. I really don't think I have a single complaint or criticism. My husband and I went for a getaway, but if you are looking to travel as a family with children, this would be a great place as well, convenient, clean, comfortable, and good food.

Room Tip: The rooms on higher floors are definitely the place to stay. Their ground floor rooms would definit...
Dear EmeraldH,

I am delighted that you and your husband shared your get away with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed our spa. You mentioned our beach in the review. Actually, our beach is one of the larger beaches on the island. Curacao has 35 beaches on the island and they are smaller type beaches (when compared to what you see in Florida) that are located in inlets. So, many of the beaches on the island give you the feeling of your own private beach!

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again very soon with the new addition to your family!!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. When we arrived we were met and greeted right away. Escorted to the desk to check in. The lobby and view were beautiful.. During check-in Blue Curacao Lemonade was brought over to us.

The grounds are beautiful, and CLEAN. The hallways are dimmly lit in a calming way. Our room was very nice, modern, clean, and comfortable. They are energy conservative there. To turn on the room lights you just slide your key card into a holder on the wall when you enter the room. It helped us not to leave the key behind or leave the lights on. Also, when the patio door is open the AC is off and when latched back the AC comes back on. Pretty neat.

The food was good. Kind of expensive. The only thing that would've been nice would have been to have food options that were local or representative of the culture. All of the options were choices that could be had anywhere.

The resort was quiet, and peaceful. Just what we were looking for. There were children but not everywhere and between the pool and the stretch of beach you could find a place that was more remote to relax.

The resort is about a 20 minute ride from Wilhemstad and the cab ride was $100 roundtrip. That was our only dis-satisfier.

Other than, it was a fabulous stay.

Room Tip: The East wing was quieter. We had a resort view that was fine. We didn't spend much time in th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Tanya C,

Happy anniversary! I am grateful that you and your husband shared it with us!

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found some great places to relax. Another option to visit Willemstad (and other parts of the island) is to rent a car which is less than the cost of the taxi you mentioned. The team at the front desk can provide directions and suggestions to the island's 'must see' places and some great local culinary delights. Plus, you can pick up and drop off the car right here at the resort!

We hope to see you again soon!
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Santa Barbara for 5-days/4-nights to celebrate his 40th birthday in June 2014. We decided on the Santa Barbara after a work colleague of his had himself stayed at the Sea Traditions area of the resort. It sounded like the type of semi-secluded resort option we were looking for (ie: enjoying the amenities offered at a larger resort, yet 'off the beaten path' enough to feel we had privacy).
Our arrival at the resort was disappointing. We were almost in the Great Room/Lobby before the doorman asked if we were checking in. This 'where is anybody?' would be a running theme throughout our visit. At the front desk, the guest service agent (once one arrived) seemed disinterested at best. This was 430pm on a Wednesday (check-in begins at 4pm). Meaning, I would expect staff to be at the desk, with a welcoming smile for at least that first hour. Alas, there was no greeting. Simply, 'last name on the reservation, please'. At a 3-star, business hotel, fine. At a luxury resort designed to be a vacation destination, it was disappointing. We were given a resort activities list for June but was told that, 'there wasn't a restaurant information sheet available as it is *low season*, the menus changed that week, and the new sheet wasn't available yet'. (This *low season* excuse would become a running theme as well.) After being so excited for this trip, excitement that lasted through 12-hrs of travel via planes, trains and automobiles from NYC to the resort's door, this 'oh well, ho-hum' attitude took a bit of the wind our of my sails - and the birthday boy's.
We then proceeded to the Sea Traditions and our room.
To give credit where credit is due, our room was lovely and beautifully appointed. The bed was amazingly comfortable, the furnishings tasteful - and CLEAN. Where the room was lacking - especially as we received no information at the desk - was finding the 'information binder' had none of the restaurants listed, nor a map of the resort(!). We had no idea when the restaurants closed, or where they were located on the resort complex. We decided to call the front desk for assistance and was told 'the Shore is open and we would suggest calling for reservations'. Wait, what? Where is the service in that?! So, we called, and made our own reservations, and did enjoy a delicious meal at the Shore.
(Again - credit where it's due - ALL of the food we ate at the Santa Barbara was delicious. Medi for breakfast daily, snacks from Bella Italia, dinner at the Shore. It was all of excellent quality and, at the Shore, beautifully presented.)
The next morning, walked over to the private pool area in the Traditions complex and was surprised to find a private 'group' that was using the space to hold some sort of meeting. We had paid extra to stay in this part of the resort as it is designed to feel exclusive, yet, it felt as though we were intruding on this group's meeting. If we were informed of this in advance, perhaps we would have elected to stay in a different room type.
After breakfast at Medi, we went to the Activities office to enquire about a sunset cruise and snorkeling. We were then informed that due to *low season* the sunset cruise only runs on Wednesdays. This was upsetting and disappointing. We had arrived on Wednesday! When our stay was booked weeks in advance, why wasn't any of this communicated to us? I had pre-book some birthday activities myself, but never received this activity information. That said, the woman at the Activities office did suggest some excellent snorkeling options and we thoroughly enjoyed her recommendations.
Of the items I did pre-book, the spa was outstanding (hot stone massage) in every way. Excellent service. State-of-the-art treatment rooms. No complaints there.
I had also pre-booked a birthday cake to arrive on the Friday morning of our stay. I had pre-paid for this and had asked that instead of a traditional cake (which my boyfriend doesn't like), if they could make a small baklava cake instead. This was confirmed in advance. On the morning, four pieces of baklava arrived in a pinwheel formation on a tray. The staff person delivering this was the one I had made the arrangements with and she could clearly see I was disappointed... I had asked for a cake. Even stating a small 6" cake would have been fine - it's just two of us - but I wanted a square cake to put candles in. I had even offered to pay an additional amount as they were making a specialty cake. Meaning, I don't know why I was then faced with 4 cut pieces. I was told that, 'oh yes, the chef did make an entire cake, if you would like more of it we can bring more out to you'. I honestly didn't know what to say to this. Why are you offering me the cake I ordered in installments? I let my disappointment be known and carried the 4 lozenges of baklava into the room myself. My boyfriend graciously appreciated my gesture - however, I was miffed. This was meant to be his 'birthday cake'. The fact that I pre-paid/arranged for this request in advance and did not receive what I ordered was upsetting. Later that night, someone brought around a bottle of sparkling wine, compliments of the dining team. However, my boyfriend does not enjoy sparkling wine/champagne, so this was of no interest to him.
On our last night at the resort, we decided to have a late dinner and drinks in the Great Room. Once again we had difficulty finding a staff member for assistance, but finally the sushi chef was located. And once plated, the sushi was excellent. While we were waiting for our food, we were asked if we wanted a drink from the bar by the very young, very inexperienced server staffing it. She did not understand what I mean by several basic cocktails (Amaretto Sour, etc.), so we chose to have our drinks straight and neat, by default. Once we all agreed on what we were ordering, the server then dashed in the opposite direction of the bar area. This was puzzling until we then saw her emerge with two glasses. The bar area was just a table with liquor and mixers on it. No glasses. No ice. It is the most bizarre, awkward set-up for such a beautiful room in a 5-star resort.
All-in-all, this is a visually stunning resort - and a tasty resort - but we found service to be severely lacking in the most important areas.

Room Tip: This a great resort if you want a peaceful retreat, yet are still close enough (20-30 minute drive...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Tracy J,

Please wish your boyfriend a happy belated 40th birthday for me. I am grateful that you decided to spend it with us.

I want to sincerely apologize for your check in and cake experiences. It doesn't matter what season we are in, our goal is to provide top notch service to any guests that we welcome. However, it seems we missed the mark for those two situations.

I am glad that you enjoyed our spa. Did you love the private changing room and shower instead of the community locker room? It makes it feel so private!

I appreciate you taking the time to review your experience. We take comments from the Trip Advisor community very seriously and are always trying to improve.

Philippe Eversdijk

Been to Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao? Share your experiences!