“If you're looking for high class Rest & Relaxation, this is the spot!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

You added Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao to your Saves list
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Santa Barbara Plantation | Porta Blancu, Nieuwpoort, Curacao (Formerly Hyatt Regency Curacao Golf Resort, Spa and Marina)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nieuwpoort
Morden, Canada
“If you're looking for high class Rest & Relaxation, this is the spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We went as a group of 16 friends from across Canada, so our holiday expectations probably differed greatly. My ideal holiday includes great food, perfect weather, beautiful hotel facilities and friendly staff. This resort was fantastic in all areas. I have been to many all-inclusive resorts, and the food at Santa Barbara was by far the best. Our rooms were perfect and we paid a little more to have a top floor, water view over the beach. Fantastic!
If I had small children this would also be an ideal location. The beach is beautiful and no worries about waves crashing in. The staff at this resort were fantastic as well. They are such friendly people - very multi-cultural.
I was delighted with the shade trees available on the beach - we never had a problem securing enough seating for a large group. The beach barbecue was a treat!
Spent one day at the pool, and the only problem is a lack of shade.
You will not be disappointed with a holiday at the Santa Barbara Resort!

Room Tip: We paid extra to have our top floor room overlooking the beach, but I heard all the rooms were lovel...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Connie L,

What a fun vacation! Spending time with 16 of your friends in Curaçao! I am so glad that your group had a good time. Thank you for the compliments on our food. Chef Viktor and his staff work very hard to deliver great food for our guests. I definitely can't wait to share your comments with the culinary team.

Thank you for spending your vacation with us and sharing your experience. I hope that you can visit us again very soon!
Philippe Eversdijk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This place used to be a Hyatt. Unfortunately it really isn't anymore. What you cannot take away from the place is that it is a stunning property, with beautiful grounds, a very family friendly beach, very good rooms, great pools and in Shore a truly spectacular restaurant with excellent food, good wine and an unbeatable view of the ocean and the first tee of the golf course.
Unfortunately, having stayed here a couple of years ago when the place was still a Hyatt, the decline is very noticeable.
It is clear that the property is not being kept to the same standards it once was. The pools were dirty with lots of leaves and pollen (at least I hope that is what it was) floating in the water. The paint is peeling badly in the pools as well, and the pool edges really do not merit a closer look.
The Medi restaurant used to be an excellent place to have dinner, super family friendly with excellent buffet style dinner and theme nights. Now it is decidedly so-so and seems disorganized (as in asking mid-afternoon on the arrival day what the evening's theme was and being told that the waitress did not know, that was for the chef to decide). We went, but wished we hadn't.
The Splash "impressed" by taking more than 25 minutes to prepare a cheese quesadilla at a time when it was far from busy, turning what we had hoped would be a quick lunch with tired and hungry children into quite something different.
The Shore is truly spectacular, but it is also pricey to the tune of 250+ USD for a meal without much wine (we were travelnig with a 1- and a 2 year old), so it took a bit of a deep breath to go there.
The hotel recommends (or its website does) an airport transfer service (Curacao Actief) which showed great service skills by not being ready to receive us on arrival, not having the booked, paid for and confirmed car seats in the van, and not showing up for our return transfer until calls were made, a new car booked and 40 minutes from the agreed time had passed. We made our flight, but did not have a comfortable time of it. In fairness they reimbursed just over half the 160 USD we paid for the transfer but still, not a great show of form.
Santa Barbara in our view has an absolute gem on their hands (see my past review) but must be careful not to let it deteriorate. Best of luck!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear runedawg,

I am so disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We try very hard to impress each guest and we clearly fell short during your stay. I do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I take all comments very seriously and will address your items with my team.

I hope that you can return and let's us show you the level of service that I know we can provide.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Just came back from Santa Barbara, had great vacation! There was 10 of us travelling, including 4 kids. The beach was great as they have that wave cutter/bridge. We could do snorkeling right off the beach. The sand was nice and there was a bar right on the beach. There were always chaises available. The weather was always super.
The hotel was clean, the only thing we did not find comfortable were two twin beds for four of us, not even queen size. We have asked for pull-out beds for our kids but they were $75 each.
WI-FI was not included, although you would expect it should be at this type of hotel.
The food was very good, but you get tired of same menu every day after a while. The resort is trying to see how the all inclusive concept would work. Breakfast was good as it was a buffet, the rest of meals we had to order and some times it took longer than one hour to make it. Probably would be better if they had buffet option for lunch and dinner just like all other all inclusive. Food was great though, very high level. Tuna steaks, tiger shrimps, tenderloin etc...They have great fish tacos at the pool bar, a must try! Just like sesame tuna starter and roasted veggie salad at the shore restaurant. The passion fruit tart and cheese cakes were amazing.
Overall, bars were great, beach amazing, hotel clean and staff very friendly. Would definitely go back, especially if the buffet option will be available for lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: ask for bed types up-front when ordering tickets
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ludmila K,

Thank you for spending your vacation with us and sharing your experience!

As I am writing this, it is almost lunch time and your mention of Splash's fish tacos is making me hungry. They are absolutely one of my favorites!

Our double rooms do have two double beds which are 1.20m x 1.80m. We do have a package that allows you to enjoy a second, adjoining room for 50% off which may make sleeping arrangements a bit more comfy.

I hope that you are your family can come back again very soon!
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Just spent a week with friends at this beautiful resort. In the language of the island, DUSHI can describe your loved one, a great day, a wonderful moment etc. So, this resort is DUSHI.
It's not often you can say all inclusive and delicious food in the same sentence. All 3 restaurants and the beach barbeque served great food by attentive staff. Cocktails were amazing too.
There is tennis, golfing,kayaking, biking and sailing on the island. We toured Willamstad which is half an hour away and the rest of the island too.
The resort has a wonderful location by calm waters with lounges that can be protected by trees and umbrellas. The rooms are decorated in woods, tile and are welcoming. The resort is immaculate and intimate. There are families and couples. Entertainment in the evening may be a singer accompanied by piano. The lobby bar in the evening sees people having a cocktail, sitting in some cane rockers facing the sea or just chatting.
I really liked this resort!

Dear Marlene2020,

I think you can now consider yourself an islander! Dushi is one of the most popular Papimento words and you described it perfectly! It is a great compliment that you described the resort as Dushi! So, thank you!

I hope that you can come visit us again from Canada and learn more Papimento soon!
Phillipe Eversdijk
Tsawwassen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

The food is amazing,especially in the Shore Restaurant. The rooms are spacious and comfortable I have slept like a baby. Pools are nice and the beach is white sand and protected. Lots of shade under real trees. The golfers loved the course. Been here for a class reunion and'it's been a blast. This resort has just gone all inclusive for three months - totally worth it.

Room Tip: Even the "resort view" rooms are wonderful. You're going to spend most of your time o...
Dear Joano H,

Thank you for your great review. I love your headline, "Best All Inclusive I've Ever Stayed At"! We just started offering the all inclusive package last fall and it has been a big hit. A lot of people enjoy the new option.

I am glad you enjoyed the beach and the pool. The shade trees on our beach are great. They allow you to pull your chair out to get some sun. Then when you feel like you've had enough, you can find shade and continue enjoying the beach!

I hope that you can visit us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one week Mar 2014. It is a massive beautiful property on a secluded part of the island. The photos on their website are exactly what you will see.

The service is impeccable, and the staff is super friendly. If something is not right, and you say something it will be fixed. No matter what the request is their answer is always... yes. We actually took notice of a couple requests that other guests had, some ridiculous, but the answer was always yes. It's like the staff is trained, "... when in doubt, just say yes." --- more importantly after they say yes, they get it done.

They will go out of their way to make sure you are satisfied and have a good experience. A personal example... we arrived late in the evening at the hotel and we were hungry. We wanted to try a local restaurant as we had a whole trip to eat at the hotel so we asked the staff for a recommendation. They weren't sure what would be open at that time of night so 2 of them called, must have been 10 places, to find a place we could eat at while we had a cocktail in the lobby. They eventually found a place, reserved us a table, and printed us directions. The restaurant they sent us to stayed open for us and was fantastic (The Boathouse).

Our favorite points of the hotel were...

- it's secluded (30 mins from downtown, 45 mins from airport, 1.5ish hours to westpunt). Private beach, private tennis, private paths along the beach, private bonfires... private private.

- Live music outside every night
- The rooms are spacious and super clean
- Everything is super clean (beach, pool area, lobby, public restrooms, the grounds, everything)
- Everyone has a "can do" attitude which is great
- Everyone from the front desk to the towel guy is super friendly
- The food at Medi is very good (we did not eat at Shore or Splash)
- Everyone speaks English (everyone speaks English, Dutch, Spanish, Papiamento, and some German and Portuguese)

I only have good to say about our experience at this hotel. I would absolutely come again, and will recommend it to friends and family.

Tips...

- bring a snorkel and fins. If you don't have one buy one and bring it.
- bring scuba shoes or aqua socks. Many of the beaches are rocky outside of the hotel grounds.
- rent a car. This is a big island, taxis are expensive, gas is cheap, and everything is spread out.
- try to arrive and depart between 9-5 that way your options for car rental are the biggest at the airport.
- brings lots of sunblock... it is super duper expensive everywhere on the island.

Room Tip: Personal preference really, but the staff was very helpful finding us our perfect room :)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear tomoriger,

Your review has made my morning! Based on your comments, I couldn't be more proud of my team and their 'can do attitude'!

I am so glad that you ventured out to explore the island. The Boathouse is one of my top spots to watch the sunset and enjoy a cocktail with my wife. Plus, Westpunt is a fantastic day trip and there something around every corner!

I can't wait for your return visit and please tell your friends and family to come visit! We'll take good care of them!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We know the hotel when it was HYATT, when service, was really service. Since a fews years it's called 'Santa Barbara". Santa Barbara kept Hyatt-prices (ofcourse) But the service has reduced to Santa Barbara standards. Just a few examples of many:
1) NO free wifi , only in the lobby room, where everybody is fighting for a piece of seat and where the wifi connection drops every few minutes... Overlooking the reception, where guests express their anger over the bad wifi-service at this 'high-class-hotel.
2) If you would like to use on of the many cabana's around the pool as a guest of the hotel don't even think for one second this is included. Please pay 25$ a day to lie on it.
3) Ofcourse you expect fresh smelling and clean white sheets on your bed, but don't look surprised when it smells like a wet dog. Mattresses starting to get old, you lie in a pit.
We gladly came to Hyatt Curacao in the past, where service was real service, where you get value for your money, but since "Santa Barbara" took it over, they try in all possible ways to get extra money out of your wallet if you want to equalize Hyatt service.
A sinking ship if you ask me. Not coming back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Syrina v,

I am so disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Yes, we did transition from the Hyatt brand over a year ago and I feel like we've maintained or improved our level of service. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

You are right. We do offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the lobby. I will definitely alert the IT team about the connection problems and have them test it.

We do charge a small fee for our cabana which is a common practice. As other reviewers have noted, we do have an abundance of lounge chairs around the beach and the pool that are complimentary.

Last, I will address your bed linen issue with our director of housekeeping. As a fellow traveler, I too like the smell of clean, fresh sheets.

Again, I apologize for your experience and would like to welcome you back as my personal guest on your next trip from The Netherlands.

Philippe Eversdijk

Been to Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao? Share your experiences!