“Wish we stayed longer” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

You added Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao to your Saves list
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Santa Barbara Plantation | Porta Blancu, Nieuwpoort, Curacao (Formerly Hyatt Regency Curacao Golf Resort, Spa and Marina)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nieuwpoort
Cleveland, Ohio
“Wish we stayed longer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Got the room for 2 nights at half price at hotwire.

It's beautifully landscaped yet it doesn't look artificial.

Great beach for a family with small kids like ours, although boats passing by could be bit annoying. Crystal clear water and fish swim around you while you walk on white powdery sand.

It seemed like the place was not very busy. Don't know why, we loved it. It used to be Hyatt but now it seems like independent.

Pool bar had limited but very affordable menu. The main restaurant was mostly serving nice (but pricey buffet) They also have pizza and gelatto place.

The live band was pleasant and not too loud.

The free lobby wifi was a joke and the $16/day for wifi elsewhere seemed excessive, but I guess they need to make their money somewhere.

The place if far away from everything, which can be both good and bad. In any case you must rent a car or spend a fortune on taxi.

I'd definitely would like to come back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear GoCavs123,

I see you are a Cavs fan! Thank you for visiting us from the snowy Midwest. You mentioned that the resort did not feel overcrowded. The designers did a great job of giving guests the option of enjoying some privacy or being in the middle of it all. We can be full, but guests can carve out the vacation experience that they desire at our resort.

I agree and urge guests to rent a car for a day or two of the stay to experience the treasures of the island - some are only a 15 minute drive away!

Stay warm and hope to see you again soon!
Philippe Eversdijk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Beautiful hotel, everything you need for a few days on the beach. Great staff, friendly and helpful. Great golf court, very nice beach resort. Spatious lay out, large rooms. Only thing to improve is the wifi, access in the Great Room is free, but too slow.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Arie G,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed the golf course! It's a fun, but challenging course. I am hoping to get out there this weekend! I hope that you can come enjoy it again soon!

Safe Travels,
Stoney Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We've stayed at a lot of all-inclusive resorts, and this one was by far the best! It is spread out over a large property, with loads of beach space (on a boat trip, we saw other resorts in Curacao -- 3 resorts built almost on top of each other, sharing very crowded beach space). There were lots of chairs in the sun and shade, so we didn't have to play the ridiculous game of getting up early to reserve chairs with your towel.
The beach is very sheltered, with clear water, great sand and a very gradual incline.
The food was excellent!
The resort was incredibly clean and well maintained.
There are a lot of European visitors, so expect some topless sunbathers and the occasional nude child.
To be a bit critical, the resort only started becoming all inclusive a few weeks ago. This meant that it was "limited all inclusive" -- some separate menus for those who are paying cash vs. being all inclusive. The only ice-cream on the resort is freshly made gelato, but it isn't included in the package. The sushi bar is also not included.The Shore restaurant required reservations well in advance, and this is where the biggest difference of cash vs. all-inclusive is evident.
A lot of the staff were very new (only a few days' experience) so the service in the restaurants was very slow -- but hey, we had nowhere to go! I anticipate that this will get better very quickly. On a good note, since the wait staff were unsure of exactly what was going on, we occasionally got cash-only food included in the all-inclusive :)
Warning: no entertainment at night. Also no bonfires (pictured on the website) and the advertised activities (beach volleyball, etc) just didn't run. That would have really added to the experience.

Room Tip: Paid for a resort view, and got a room right by the beach. I would recommend a ground floor room by...
Dear Zabadog,

It sounds like you have experienced multiple all-inclusive resorts and I appreciate you taking the time to give us your expert feedback. You are right, we recently introduced our current all inclusive plan and are are constantly refining it based on guest feedback like yours! We strive everyday to delight our guests so they can relax and rejuvenate.

I hope that you can return soon and enjoy the gelato again!

Safe Travels,
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We just returned from our 1st trip to Curacao. My husband picked the island and hotel - fabulous on both accounts. I was nervous about staying at a hotel that wasn't a name brand, but after 5 nights, I highly recommend this resort. We loved getting away from it all on the secluded property with lots to see and do there and only 30 minutes from the Capital. Hotel staff was friendly, helpful and went above and beyond many times to make sure that our visit was wonderful. Everyone speaks 4 languages! Gorgeous driveup appeal from the main drive, many safety features, and wow - the open air Lobby takes your breath away: A paradise ocean view greets you along with other guests relaxing, visiting & enjoying the bar and the beauty of the island. The marina is beautiful, but I love having a beach right outside my hotel room and a pool as well. The Splash pool bar staff was helpful and attentive. Lounge chairs very nice. The property is family friendly, but big enough that couples can find special moments too. Upscale shops inside lobby, but able to shop & eat casually at Bella Italia (and their gelati was amazing). The Shore was by far our favorite restaurant on property and maybe on the entire island - food was delicious, creatively prepared. Yes, you do need reservations. Yes, service is slow and leisurely, but not underattentive. The dining is an experience and in visiting other resort restaurants in Curacao, we found the same pace of service. They make it a relaxing memory. We ate at Shore 3 times - twice at night and found out they are open for lunch on the weekend - great quality then again, but more casual ( and less expensive) menu. Resort rooms were spacious - loved the fans and even one on the balcony as well. Maids did a great job daily. Beds comfortable. The resort was spread out, but so well landscaped, that it was fun exploring it all. They have clay tennis courts and a Meditation Hiking trail that is perfect for exercise if you don't want to use the gym. There are bicycle paths (we used them for walking). The water is so blue, sailboats, fishing boats, but none of the locals "hawking" merchandize that you get on other Caribbean islands. And this is the premier golf resort on the island. Spectacular course, well designed and fun.

This is a beautiful property, in an amazing country. We went into Willemstad one day - a shuttle goes in daily from the hotel - reasonable fee. Cute architecture. Shopping very similar to other islands. Interesting museums and one of a kind pontoon bridge. Ate at a cute little place outdoors with a view of the bridge. Felt safe everywhere, but especially at the resort.
Another night tried a French dinner at a boutique hotel - loved the view, service & ambience, but not the food.
Went back in another time to Ft. Nassau for dinner - perfect night, great view.

Our only negative on property was the service at Medi Restaurant. Tried breakfast and dinner and would agree that they were underattentive.

We came home from vacation relaxed and refreshed, ready to share our Caribbean experiences with others.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view! Most rooms have it, but, it is well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Beckysfind1,

That's what I like to hear from our guests - returning home relaxed and refreshed. That is music to my ears! Thank you for visiting us and sharing your experiences from the resort and island!

Yes, most of our staff speaks English, Dutch, Spanish and Papiamentu (the official language of Curaçao). Some of my favorite Papiamentu words that you'll hear around the resort are Dushi which describes all the good things in life including people and objects & Masha Danki which means thank you!

Please come visit us again soon to Riléks!

Masha Danki!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed here for 8 days over the winter holidays and it was exactly what we wanted. We were looking for a mellow, nice beach resort that was kid-friendly. This was ideal for that! Plus I thought the value for price paid was amazing. Having become used to paying exorbitant rates for that christmas week, this place was an absolute bargain for the quality of the experience. We booked through the website early and they had some special early booking discounts that saved us 30%, so check their website before you book!

You can see pictures and read about the beach in other reviews- while the swimming area of the beach is not directly on the ocean, it is very long with plenty of chairs. The sand is nice and beach is very clean. The water is very calm (no currents) so great for kids. You can do a bit of snorkeling right off the beach. The pool towel desk has beach toys for kids that you can borrow.

The main pool area was really lovely- there are two large pools overlooking the water and we found that there were still available beach chairs at noon even at the busiest days. You can rent a beach bed for about $35/day by the pool- we did this for a few days which was fun.

The pool service from Splashes was outstanding- there was the nicest waiter at the pool from the Phillippines who was so great all week and understood the small touches that make service special. He knew that my son liked "funions" instead of fries with his chicken fingers. He'd split the kids pina colada into 2 cups and gave an extra maraschino for the kids. He brought cups of ice water over to us throughout the day. He was a true professional and always had a big smile for everyone.

Overall I did think that the service was very good and everyone really makes an effort- if you asked anyone a question, they would either help you or find someone who could. There appeared to be a lot of active management on site, which always helps make things smooth. Housekeeping always had the room made up early in the day. When there was a rainy day they set up activities in the ballroom like ping pong and coconut bowling. Check-in and check-out was very easy and we didn't have to wait a minute for either. And this resort is kept absolutely spotless.

The only low spot on service (as indicated in other's reviews) is Medi dinner and breakfast, although the hostess at breakfast is a delight. Everything at Medi moves at a glacial pace.

BUT Shor service and food is fabulous and we ate a lot of dinners there. It is more expensive than Medi but relative to resort prices I thought that the prices are fair for what you get there. (The coconut tuna is a phenomenal dish.) And the pizza place was a nice option as well.

The last thing I'd mention is that there was a nice mix of people at the resort from many different countries. It felt more like an "independent traveler" hotel than a package tour place which we like.

Having driven around the island a few days while we were there (we rented a car) this would be the only place I'd stay on Curacao for a true getaway.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear sfbarab,

Congratulations on your Top Contributor status. Wow! 333 cities visited in 48 countries. I am so glad that your travels brought you to our island and the resort.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the staff at Splash! We strive to make each guest's stay memorable!

I hope that your travels bring you and your family back to the island and resort again very soon!
Verona, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

In researching the resort, it took exactly 2 minutes to figure how far it was from the airport and into town. I arrived at night and it was PITCH black out. the taxi driver turned his lights on and off a few times just to show me LOL.. I spent 4 nights at the resort, sandwiched in between 5 nights in Aruba. staying at the Marriott.
I woke up to the most BEAUTIFUL resort I have been to and I have been to half the islands. It was developed on an old quarry giving it the uniqueness of a chiseled mountain on one side, the sea on another side and the harbour below. The golf course, which I played twice ( i did not go to play golf) is as pretty as any i have seen. No expense was spared in the development of this property.
Tile is everywhere and tastefully done, all the rooms have plantation shutters and I will agree the tub is a little high LOL.I was on the ground floor and nad a garden view and There was a small patio outside that I did not sit on but looked comfortable , enough. The resort fits into its environment perfectly, only being 4 stories makes it the same height as the palm trees, but it is very long . The pool was simple and tasteful as was the beach. The beach area is at the end of the inlet and a dock keeps it contained, but having rented a car one day, I stopped at 2 other resorts and they also had jetties protecting the swimming areas.
I do not go to an island and expect the food to be better then in NYC, so I was not disappointed,
nor was it blown away. The service is slower as is is all over the Island, make friends with that or stay home.
I was so tired from the day I was in my room reading by 8 or 9, and there is not much going on any way. I find it fascinating that people can find so many little things to complain about. I would go to key west if I wanted to party till 3 AM but i will return here again as it was as relaxing a place as i have been to. Happy Travels

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Joseph M,

I have to say WOW too! Thank you for you candid, honest review of the resort and island. I am so glad you enjoyed your escape to our island paradise.

The builders/designers did an excellent job of integrating the resort into the natural environment. All the rooms have views of the water and/or the resort landscape. There are no parking lot views here!

Please come back anytime to relax!
Garland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed 5 nights and had a great time. Very peaceful and georgeous. The pool is nice and they have lots of beach. All the employees were super nice and helpful. In the gift shop I accidently gave the cashier 2 twenties instead of one and she quickly returned one (how refreshing). Several restaurants to choose from and the food is excellent. If you are a golfer you will not be disappointed by the golf course. It is beautiful and a good layout. You will enjoy it.

Dear Bill A,

Thanks for visiting us from the great state of Texas! I can't wait to share your review with our staff! It makes me proud to read review like yours! I am glad you enjoyed the golf course. I just had a chance to play this weekend and it is in great shape!

I hope you can make your way down to the island again very soon!
Philippe Eversdijk

Been to Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao? Share your experiences!