“good caribbean food” 4 of 5 stars

+(1)847-548-0206
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 62 Restaurants in Grayslake
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin
Description: Congri, a taste of Cuba in the Northwest suburbs, is a family owned restaurant that offers a wide variety of traditional dishes. It offers homemade dishes in a family oriented environment.
Hainesville, Illinois
“good caribbean food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Both my wife and I were born and raised in Puerto Rico, enjoying the taste of Caribbean food daily. We visited Congri and can say this feels just like home. The Ropa Vieja is very tasty, even a little bit sweet. I'm not a fan of Congri rice, but here it was very enjoyable. We also had the steak guantanamo, a thin slice of steak with a slight sweet flavor that comes from the onions. For appetizer we had croquetas and relleno de papa. The croquetas and relleno were just like I like them, a little on the crunchier side, with enough meat on the inside, but not where the meat overpowers the potato. Their cuban coffee (an espresso shot with a bit of sugar) was well made. The guava pastry was delicious and I'm planning to go back to get some freshly baked ones, as they bake them through the day, but by the time we got there, it was almost closing time.
The decor is simple and the restaurant is small, but the food is very authentic, and the staff/owners are very friendly.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

chicago, Il
“Ok, but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I tried out this restaurant with my family for lunch. We have been to many Cuban restaurants in the Tampa, FL area and always enjoyed the food so decided to give this place a try. The food was fine, but the servings were minimal compared to our other experiences. The Cuban sandwich was just a sandwich on a plate - no garnish, no side. It was certainly not enough for my adult son, although the size was okay for me.
Service was adequate- no hovering! However, they never refilled our water glasses or asked about our food once it was served. My mom had the pork sandwich and said it was bland. I had the ham and cheese sandwich and it was acceptable, but not really anything different than I could make at home on my griddle.
Don't rush out to visit this place, but don't be afraid to try it. Just don't set your sights too high!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Grayslake, Illinois
“Un Jibarrito living in Grayslake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I was born and raised in Santurce, Puerto Rico and living way out in the suburbs of Chicago, makes it very hard for me to find good (Comida Criolla). That good Caribbean food that my mother and my grandmother would make for me, when I was growing up.

That's why when I heard about "Congri" I came running! And let me tell you; from the very first bite I knew I had found the real deal! That lady (Isa) in that kitchen (Cosina con sabor!) she puts flavor in her food. I left the restaurant that afternoon with a big smile on my face and a sense of well being in my tummy, I guess that's where they get the term "Comfort Food"
Can't wait to come back and treat my family to some excellent Caribbean cuisine. :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami, FL
“Missing Something....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

First off, I have to say that I am from Miami (born and raised) and that I know a think or two about Cuban Food. I cook Cuban food at home, Arroz con Pollo, Rabo Enciendido, Ropa Vieja, etc. But sometimes I want to take a day off and eat Cuban. I was so excited when I saw the signs for this restaurant. I have to be honest, I made Lechon Asado for our Thanksgiving weekend dinner. And I didn't want to fry plantains or make congri, so went to the restaurant to buy them.

The portion of the congri was small for $3.00. I get more rice at Lewis Market for less. The rice was good not mind blowing. And we also ordered tostones, which were blah. My husband took one bite and refused to eat more. He lived in South Florida for 5 years and also knows good Cuban food. I also bought some of their pastelitos, it was delicious but I miss the flakiness of true pastelitos.

Overall, the food here is passable. But I wouldn't say go to Lulo's either. That's Cuban Fusion, not true Cuban food. I guess I have to continue cooking my own Cuban food.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Round Lake Beach, Illinois
“very enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

overall very pleased i like small restaurants because you get to taste home made food. Enjoyed meeting the owners wich they are very amigable and kind. i have told my friends and family to try it out.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere