“Maid & maintenance service spotty at best.” 3 of 5 stars

Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Glenview
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hayden
“Maid & maintenance service spotty at best.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We checked in September 20, 2012 and stayed for three nights.

Pros: Love the layout of the suite, the price is reasonable and beds are comfortable.

Cons: The maid service is inconstant. The first night we did not have a bath mat and we only had one coffee cup. The next day we had two bath mats and we never got another coffee cup the rest of our stay. We also had to call down for linens on the hideaway bed. They brought one fitted sheet and two top sheets but no mattress pad YUCK!

They need to step up their maintenance program. The tiles were cracked and molding around the tub faucet and the sink needed to be re-caulked. But the worst of it was that the bathrooms do not have vents and the air conditioner did not work. When we went to the pool the water was so low in the hot tub that it was like sitting next to a geyser.

Don't count on the hotel WiFi it only works occasionally.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is an average hotel. The suites are nice. The rooms and common areas are well maintained. However, there are better options in the O’Hare north area.

A couple of thoughts:

Location – While it’s near the O’Hare area and right off the tollway…it’s not easy to get to. There is not a tollway exit in the immediate area. Thus, you will have to get off at an exit a mile or two away and then navigate to the hotel. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Rooms – Do not get a room on the 2nd floor. I was originally given one, and I found out right away that the 2nd floor rooms are right next to the eating area for breakfast in the Atrium. Some of the doors are literally 10 feet away from the tables for breakfast. I recommend a 7th floor room if you can get it.

Breakfast – I don’t normally stay at Wyndham properties so I am not sure if breakfast is normally included. But, it’s definitely NOT included at this location. $12 for what amounts to a continental breakfast is ridiculous. I would have never paid this, but there is no clear signage down in the atrium explaining that breakfast was an additional charge. Thus, my coworker and I just assumed it was part of the deal and sat down. Oops.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Matthew C, General Manager at Wyndham Glenview Suites, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay with us. We appreciate any and all feedback so we can learn what we need to do in order to exceed your expectations during your stay.

Hampshire, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Service desk very unproffesional,the lady that works on evening shift..uncourteous and doesn't anticipate a customers needs. We stayed in this hotel sept.15,2012 for a night ..we are supposed to get a2 stubs for free breakfast but we didn't get it, so we went to the desk to ask about it. we were standing in front i dont know for how long as if she didnt see anything..I will never stay in this hotel anymore..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

(847)803-9800

Travelers are raving about these Glenview hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Arrived at O’Hare midnight.
Pro’s: Best shower pressure of any of the hotels I’ve EVER stayed in – including 30 years travel over USA, Europe, India, New Zealand and Australia. Great pillows, very comfortable bed. These are the essentials after long and tiring trips. Very large suite with separate living room with breakfast bar/table with bar stools; clean; in good condition; and well appointed – although overall feel is dated, particularly bathroom decor. I booked through Park and Fly website and, with tenacity and vigilance with reconfirming everything (see below), I found the service and price reasonable compared with parking seven days at the airport and paying separately for a hotel. Airport shuttle runs 24 hours (don’t get caught with the hotels that don’t run after 10 or 11 pm). Daytime check-in staff friendly and helpful, but apparently battle a very poor computer system.
Con’s: Park N Fly Website said it was a free taxi service for aiport pickup and drop off, but it's not--it's the usual tardy shuttle service. Park n Fly also indicated breakfast included. It's not. $14.00 (9/12) plus tip and taxes. Hilton Gardens chain, in similar price range, includes full breakfast – and somewhat better with more choices. Late night service is desultory – like it’s inconvenient for you to disturb the night clerk. (This seems to be a persistent problem with hotels I’ve stayed in – night clerks want to get their paperwork done and don’t want to be disturbed by guests). No room service after 11:00 pm - bad for a hotel that advertises itself as near O’Hare International and for airport travelers. Shuttle service was poor. Rang when I had collected bags around 12:30 am and did not leave airport until 1:30 am. Hotel is 15-20 minutes drive from airport WITHOUT traffic. If you’re departing hotel for O’Hare during morning peak hour, I’d guess you’d have to allow 35-40 minutes for airport commute.
Take-out/delivery restaurant hotel recommended for after-hours food took 1 hr. 10 mins instead of the quoted 45 mins and was therefore delivered after 3:00 am! They don’t provide fresh milk in their rooms – an essential for tea drinkers. Night clerk looked and smirked at me as though I was asking for the Lotto numbers when I asked for some milk. Also only a one-up coffee maker – can only boil water in microwave.
Park and Fly website indicated a full breakfast was included. I even rang the hotel before booking and whoever I spoke to confirmed it was included, but when I showed up for breakfast, I was told I had to pay. I spoke to the front desk who initially refused, but eventually was given a coupon for breakfast and given a weak apology for the inconvenience. There was a problem with the bill through the Park and Fly booking (hotel did not deduct the deposit I paid when I booked through P&F online). I brought this to the night clerk’s attention when I checked in, but he said was all ok. Bill was still wrong in the morning and so I went to the same night clerk who eventually figured it out – but got back to my room and I was locked out! He forgot to fix my key card and had me checked out because I’d confirmed payment.
The Park and Fly website also states that hotel pays for a taxi to and from airport and this was one of the reasons I paid the extra for this hotel. (Getting a timely shuttle pickup from airports anywhere is as rare as winning the lottery.) But they have a shuttle which is poorly organized. Shuttle arrived at the airport at scheduled touch down time – 30 minutes before I rang to say (as requested) I’d collected by bags. Then shuttle driver was told to wait for other passengers who “had bags and were on their way to bus/shuttle station.” An hour later the very helpful shuttle driver took the initiative and said he’d take me to hotel because the people had still not shown up.
I was still too tired to leave on original check out day and booked another night online through Venere. I tried to confirm this additional night with the front desk to make sure I could have the same room and they couldn’t find the booking.
Overall these miscommunications were inconvenient, but this place is still the most highly rated on the Park and Fly website – a useful site but seems to be run by wankers. You have to confirm everything directly with the hotel and double check bookings. Wyndham doesn’t seem to have a good system for online reservations. Also all travelers have to put up with the effects of jerks who ring a hotel and say they have their bags and are on their way to the shuttle area, but who’ve probably only just touched down. Wyndham can’t be blamed for that, but they shouldn’t advertise on P & F site that they provide an at-request taxi service.
I would recommend this place as comfortable and quiet, has good restaurants and facilities on site despite no late hours service and good for travelers for short term stays. The shower pressure and pillows are worth the price of admission – but carry printouts of booking slips, have a cell phone, and reconfirm everything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I had to travel on business over the week of Labor Day. I arrived at front desk to a smiling young lady, very welcoming and informative. After giving me the low down on the hotel I went to my Suite. It was nice to get a suite to separate sleeping from lounging. I don't like to mix the two. The rooms were a little bit dated, but still very clean and comfortable.

The restaurant Porter's was great! Grecian chicken was so flavorful and the staff were very attentive. I had the option to eat the same meal in the bar, but I opted for the linen table cloths in the open air lobby.

Great for a quick business trip, internet was a little bit slow though but it was free. You get what you pay for I guess

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Highway, unless you use the noise as white noise to sleep to.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Matthew C, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Glenview Suites, responded to this review, September 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay. We appreciate any and all feedback.

phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 8/28/12-9/1/12. The room has a living area with a flat screen tv and couch, sink and the smallest microwave I have ever seen :-) The furniture was stained and I found that to be revolting. The tv in the living area had no reception on any channel. The carpet throughout smelled musty or dusty. The tv in the bedroom did not work at all. I the ottoman in the bedroom was stained as well. Yuck! The bathroom had brown water stains under the kitchen sink and in the shower 6 inches in diameter. The bathroom vanity was cracked (as in the piece was missing) a triangle shape about 8 inches large. There were just SO many things wrong. The management only offered me free breakfast. Which was a great breakfast! Unfortunately I had prepaid for the room! Otherwise I would have checked out of this hotel. Great location in Glenview. Very close to the new casino too. I requested a room not overlooking the freeway due to the noise. The room opens to the breakfast atrium. It was not noisy in the morning because the living area blocked the noise. This hotel is a two star for me. The room is worth not more than $59.

• Stayed August 2012

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

If you’re looking to pay full price for half the service of another hotel, you've found the right place. We arrived on a Friday night. The front desk clerk gave us the impression that she'd much rather be doing something else. She barely looked up, didn't smile, barely spoke. OK..maybe I disturbed her break, I don't know. Finally got checked in and headed for the elevators. 8:30 at night, there is at least 20 people waiting for the elevators. Found out soon enough that the elevators are WAY slow. Apparently they haven't been updated in a long time. To add to it, only 2 of the 3 are working. At one point someone who appeared to be a manager walked by but just kind of shook his head and walked on. So about 15 minutes later we got to the rooms. (Had 2 rooms booked for our party). Walking to the room it was apparent that this was an old Embassy suites location. The decor and carpeting agreed with the word old. Once in the room, it had a bit of an odor...like it hasn’t been used in a while. Turned the air on but it was hours before it really cooled down. All in all, the room wasn't bad..a little outdated but clean. The party in the other room reported there was no coffee maker, no extra sheets for the couch bed and no remote for the TV. I told them to call the desk. We were outside of the rooms talking, looking down at the center court restaurant area (a.k.a the echo chamber as you pretty much hear all the noise echoed way into the evening). It was about a 1/2 hour that someone finally came with the extra bedding. No coffee pot and no remote. We walked around a bit and went back to the rooms. We assumed someone would have come with the additional items..but no. So we called again. We then discovered that the first room also did not have extra bedding so we called for that as well. About an hour later..still nothing. Room 2 went down to the desk to ask about the coffee pot and remote. The desk person said they were out of coffee pots and said they would try to find a remote and bring it up. The remote never showed. Nor did the extra bedding for room 1. In the morning we went down for breakfast. Good luck getting service...pretty much one person covering the entire dining area. There was 1 to 2 people making the 'made to order eggs' (one seemed to come and go regardless of the line of people). Neither spoke English so once you got past the word omelet or waffle, they were pretty much lost. I asked for the omelet of the day (which is posted on the sign). He did not know what to put in it. I had to point on the sign what went in it. Biggest problem was they could not multi-task. So if someone ordered an omelet, they put it on and watched it cook instead of starting on the next order. So breakfast took a lot longer then we all wanted. With lack of staff, the self serve items we not kept up much so all in all, it was not a great breakfast. If you don’t have a free breakfast ticket, you’d be better off hitting some of the local restaurants in the area. The desk clerk at the end was very friendly and gave us the usually "how was your stay". I covered a few items but I could see he's heard a lot of it before so we just left.
After the visit I received the on-line survey and described pretty much what I said here. I got the usually form-letter response telling us how (the manager) was sorry that things were not up to the usual standards and she looks forward to our next visit. YA...RIGHT. Let’s see, grumpy desk clerk, other employees who apparently are well aware of issues and constant complaints...maintenance issues...housekeeping issues...non-responsive staff when you do have issues...poor breakfast service. At minimum with that many issues, you would think the manager would have at least embellish the standard printed form response with a few "I’m really sorry" or "Ill personally look into these issues". The final indignity is when it ends with "On your next visit"...as if to say "Well, if you’re stupid enough to come back, we'll see if it’s any better".
No thank you. You only get one chance for a first impression and if you can’t take the time to try to make an effort when there are circumstances then it’s obvious that the manager had no concern for the operation. Also, it’s apparent that the owners are not looking to put much money into the operation. Another Wyndham adventure. Most of the hotels in the chain are either low end or, like Ramada’s, they have let run down. Wyndhams have usually been the bright spots in the chain but it’s apparent, this location has been left to flounder. There is way too much competition in the area so bother with a location that is obviously getting zero management and maintenance attention. They would be better off to hang a Days Inn or Super 8 sign on the building. At least the expectations would be lower.

Room Tip: Try the Fairfield Inn up the street
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wyndham Glenview Suites? Share your experiences!