“Das ist gut!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, IL
“Das ist gut!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

It is Octoberfest and what better place to celebrate than in a German restaurant??!!! From classic german beer and saurkraut to wienerschnitzel and apple strudel this is the place to go. Must have a boot of beer to share and a live german band to help roll out the barrel! Brought back memories of my german relatives. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Food was fresh and light and atmosphere was fun.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Slidell
“Nice atmosphere but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were a party of 10 so we expected the bill to be pricey. We laughed, and sang and joked with each other. The singers were great. The décor very authentic. From there. not worth the time. The food was not fresh ingredients, and VERY costly. If you don't know, schnitzel is a pounded out piece of pork that is then breaded and fried. These were not freshly made, frozen. Spatzel, dried and boiled. Canned mushrooms, canned beets, canned not dressed up sauerkraut. Just not good food. The prices were extremely high for what was served. Now if you are looking for music and an apparent (we did not partake) assortment of beers, you might like this place. We however will not be going back.

Visited August 2013
Charleston, SC
“Not meine mutti's cooking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The parking lot was full and we had no reservations but were seated promptly. A duo was playing German music that kept my toes tapping. The waitress was friendly but hard to hear over the music. We started with potato pancakes. My mother's are mostly potato with very little binder. These were almost the consistency of sticky mashed potatoes and the oil used to fry them had a burnt taste, even though the pancakes themselves were not burned.

The basket of bread we were given was stale, dry and hard as a rock.The salad plate was a variety of too salty pickled yellow beans, shredded red cabbage, pickled beets and sliced carrots in a cream sauce.

My weiner schnitzel was large but plain. The red cabbage had very good flavor but was overcooked to the point of being mush. The dumpling was obviously from another region than I am used to. It was basically plain bread smashed into a ball. I am used to potato dumplings that are boiled. The spaetzle seemed commercial in perfectly uniform extrusions shaped like the noodles you get in boxed mac and cheese.

Coming from a region with no German restaurants we were eager to try this but I am hoping there are better ones in Chicagoland.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Schnitzel Platz = Happy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The ambiance is warm and welcoming, the food is good, the prices are reasonable (somebody on here said expensive - but compared to what, McDonalds?).

But.. most of all, I love Hank and Bob. The place wouldn't be as great without them. This adorable duo (sometimes clad in Lederhosen) performed wonderfully on all of my 10 or so visits. Accompanying themselves on a stand-up bass and various other instruments, they perform bar songs, German traditional, show tunes and popular stuff -- whatever they seem to feel like performing. They entertain with funny bits during Octoberfest and they do special requests when asked.

Since this IS a restaurant review, not a Hank and Bob review, my favorite order is any type of sausage. I usually order a combination of types, or the appetizer. I always order liver dumpling soup, which has a robust beef broth and tasty liver dumplings. Last weekend I tried the venison special (ragout I think?) and it was VERY good. My husband got some type of puff pastry dish last time and liked it, but he usually gets the schnitzel. Their beer list is limited compared to come, but I personally don't need 300 beer options to be happy. They had about 30 beers at last visit.

The crowd here tends to be older, family, parties, guy's night out, and then different crowd during Octoberfest. Reservations are recommended during Octoberfest and Saturday nights. Oh, and they are closed for about a month in the winter.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
“Feels Like Germany!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have been to this establishment on many occasions & are never disappointed. The food is excellent, the service wonderful & the atmosphere is fun & festive!!! We recommend Schnitzel Platz to everyone!!!

• Visited October 2012