“RATHER BE AT BATES MOTEL” 1 of 5 stars

Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   675 Roosevelt Road, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Glen Ellyn
Oswego, Illinois
“RATHER BE AT BATES MOTEL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I'm having trouble finding the right adjectives to describe the agony of stepping foot in this place. First warning sign was the woman working the counter. While checking me in she proceeds to tell stories about a guest who trashed the room he was staying in and how she was amused that the perpetrator in question put a bandana over his face in front of a video camera. She then proceeded to talk about a man who shorted her $5.00 at check - in and that she didn't know him, but the lady he came in with rents rooms there all the time, so she was going to bless her by banning her from the establishment if the John didn't come back with five bucks. Oh, but don't worry, we're just getting started. She then gave me my room key and directed me to my building. I walk in through the busted up door mentioned in the other comments (the one management said was being worked on above?) and am greeted by the worst smell ever. It was a combination of weeks old garbage and human feces. Both of which was so strong you could taste it. Also, the building looked like something out of one of the old Max Payne games. In fact, the Hotel in Breaking Bad where that meth addict did her business seemed more well kept. So anyway, after navigating past some flies and taking in the atmosphere for a few minutes I realized that she had pointed me to the wrong building. Relieved, I thought maybe this was closed down or something and the other building would be better. NOPE. Same awful stench and visual appeal as before. So finally, I get to my room (I asked for smoking) and realized that there were no ashtrays. Not wanting to be rude, I called the front desk (no directions on the phone for how to reach them, I just dialed 0 and hoped it would work) to ask if this was indeed a smoking room. She seemed confused and asked if I was the couple that just checked in a while ago. I told her I was alone and then she said she had accidentally given me a key to someone else's room. The room didn't look like anyone was there, so I'm assuming they ran for the hills before I got in, but who knows. So I finally get into my room and i guess it was considered a smoking room because the no smoking sign on the outside of the door was broken in half. I get into the room and i see mold on an exposed part of the mattress leading up from the floor. I go to turn on the AC and the temperature knob is broken off. The bathroom tiles were warped with mold, there were areas of the room that were not cleaned or wiped down. The best part of the room was that once you closed the door the garbage truck smell died down a bit. I scanned the room for bugs, mice, or any other creatures of the night for about 45 minutes before deciding I didn't need to sleep before my long drive home. I walk out and as I'm leaving I start gagging from the smell. This time I went through a different exit to find the back door of the building wide open leading to the dumpsters (it was broken and could not be shut). This means that any rats or raccoons who got curious after eating from the trash could just wonder on in. I didn't even bother asking for a refund before I left, I just had to get out of that hellhole.

This was about two hours ago and I'm still creeped out.

If you have to use this place, just pay $60.00 for the room so you can park and sleep undisturbed in your car.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
budgetelinnge, Manager at Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
hello madame,
i am extremely sorry for the problems you had. We would like to make sure we have taken care of all the problems that you had in your stay at our hotel.
We will also make sure the front desk person is polite to guest and talk anything more than your check in information.
We would like to compensate for your problems.
please feel free to contact our property 630-469-8500
Manager.
Kam
Budgetel Inn

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. "Americas Best Inn" is the same hotel, different buildings, but same owner/operators. Disgusting rooms and dangerous area. I was stuck overnight on a layover due to a cancelled flight. Got to the hotel at 1am, left at 5:30am after a $75 one way cab ride. Huge mistake. Do anything besides stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
We are extremely sorry and apologize for the problems you had.
We do understand you being upset for the flight cancellation and cab ride is expensive from airport.
we are sorry but would like to have you come back in future.

feel free to contact us again.
630-469-8500
Manager
Budgetel iNN

Travelers are raving about these Glen Ellyn hotels

Michigan City, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

First, the entrance to this 'place' (not what I would call a hotel), requires driving down an alley
to the front lobby. There was glass, broken beer bottles on the driveway.
I was terrified. But, sucked it up and went inside. The lobby smelled of disinfectant. the place looked deserted.
I had to yell for someone to come to the desk. I asked to look at a room first. I was given directions to follow a path through several empty hallways to another lobby with no one present.
The front door was propped open, permitting anyone to enter and leave. There was no security or cameras. I looked, hoping there was a camera following my trail. An old wooden door indicated
an up staircase. The door was not lockable...The staircase was dark, filthy with old torn carpet.
The bottom step was without carpet, it was ripped off and a mess.
I tip toed up the stairs, it was a disaster waiting to happen. Anyone could have been hiding along
the narrow staircase. I peeked into the room; but the feeling in this place would raise hairs on your neck. I went down stairs and told the owner I would not go up those stairs, it was a dangerous
for a single woman. He said he would show me another room downstairs.
As soon as I walked into the second room, I could smell something strange. He told me to open the window, and air out the room,and it would be ok. No, I think I smell gas.
Yes, he said, the previous rented must have broken the stove...He would call maintenance and
have them check it...But, in the mean time, I should open the window on the first floor of this
dangerous place....I did not stay...I bolted...He would not refund my money, because I needed to
cancel 24 hours. This is not a Hotel....It looks like a Welfare Warehouse.
Nothing about this place is safe. This place should not be represented as a hotel...and should not be sold by Hotwire, Hotel.com, Kayak, Travelocity, Orbitz, or any other internet company that
wants to be taken serious....This is Terrible, Terrible Place....
Go a little bit further down Roosevelt, turn Right on Findley to Butterfield.....
Comfort Inn is nice and remodeled $60. Turn Left on Butterfield to Highland and found
The Red Roof, totally remodeled, beautiful Wood floors, granite bathrooms, King beds, micro,
refrig. $65.
Go the extra mile...

Room Tip: Go to Comfort Inn or Red Roof in Downers Grove just a little bit further, But clean and mo...
Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
budgetelinnge, Manager at Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Diane B.
We are extremely sorry for the problems you had on the time of your check in. Just to inform you the reservation was cancelled and not charged from the hotels side. We are sorry the time you checked in there might be a slow time with no much people running around in the hotel.
The hotel have people staying on daily basis. The hotel has camera and we can monitor everything from the front desk.
Yes we have work going on in the part of area. we are installing wood floor and wood for stairs.
We are again sorry for the problems and hope to see you again in the near future.

manager
Pinole, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I found this hotel through kayak, which in turn booked through hotels.com. I thought Glen Ellyn would be a nice, safe place to stay. Do not stay here. We pulled up at 11:30 pm on a Thursday and there were 20+ young people hanging out near the parking lot. When my brother's wife parked, a number of them walked over to check out her car. When I parked, some kids took a swing by my car too. Very unnerving.

I went to the front desk (against my better judgement) and asked for room keys and said we wanted to look at the room before checking in. This hotel is very dirty.

I went back to the front desk - no one was there. I called out (very loudly) for someone to come to the front desk. No one came. I waited five minutes. I called out again. No one came.

I left. And you should too.

The housing authority of DuPage is right down the street on Roosevelt. And that might explain the clientele.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lake Zurich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

If only there were a 'zero' rating here. Hotwire booked this hotel for two nights, only made it ONE.

Garbage on the doorstep, garbage in the urine soaked hallway carpet. Accented by shirtless men with gang tattoos as extended stay residents. In the non smoking room, cigarette burns on virtually every surface.

I booked the stay on hotwire. Shame on them. I am not a picky traveler, pillow, shower and internet is all I need--but this place is still somehow unacceptable. I paid $44 a night--dear god what is their normal rate?? What a scam.

This place is just one fire away from being a nicer hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
budgetelinnge, Manager at Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
WE are sorry for all the problems you had at the time of your stay in our hotel. We would like to make sure that what rooms you got we will make sure to take care of the situation for our future guest. We have been in process of removing all the carpets and having tiles in hallways.
We are sorry but we do have some guest that come from outside for some construction work and we cannot stop people with shirtless in the property.

we would like you to come back and give us a second chance and we will make sure to give you a room for 50% discount.
Hope to see you again.

amer
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Avoid this place like the plague. It's disgusting and we found bedbugs. The customer service is a joke. They could care less that we found bed bugs. The carpet is disgusting and you can't breath because of the smell of mildew. Avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Saint Martin, FWI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Not as bad, but worse! I booked through Hotwire, and I will be hard-pressed to ever forgive them for sending me blindly to a place such as this! They promised a 2 Star, and this was simply not fit for human habitation. Hotwire should be ashamed. How can I evert trust them in the future after THEY put me and my wife in this disaster. We neeed a good wash after leaving, and it will take some doing to get the stink of that awlful night off our bodies and luggage.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn? Share your experiences!