“Absolutely Wonderful Property, Excellent Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Glen Ellyn
Miami, Florida
“Absolutely Wonderful Property, Excellent Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for my college reunion, as did several alumni in our party, and our experience was fabulous in every way. The entire property is spotless and kept up as if it were an international 5-star hotel. Our room was spacious, lovely and very comfortable. The hotel restaurant was quite good and very reasonable. We booked our room for four nights, but had the opportunity to cancel our last night there and stay with friends in Chicago for our last night. However, we felt so comfortable in our room, and at the hotel, that we decided to remain in the hotel that extra night, even if it meant paying for it. :-) The next time I'm in the area, I'll absolutely stay at this hotel again. And, I have TripAdvisor to thank for it! When we were looking for hotels in the Wheaton - Glen Ellyn area, I checked this website and found the Crowne Plaza. When I called to make reservations, the staff was so amazingly friendly and helpful, I knew we found the right place. And we certainly did!

Room Tip: I've been reading about the Quiet Zone on here. However, during our stay, there was a large, no...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Guam, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My second stay at this Crowne Plaza in the Lombard/Glen Ellyn area of Chicago.

This is one of the best run hotels I have ever been in - this was my third stay here, even though my business location was some distance from this hotel. It's within a few blocks of the 355 expressway, so easy to get around the western suburbs of Chicago.

While one reviewer indicates this area is "unsafe", it absolutely is not. While on a main street (Roosevelt Road), the area is a more upscale neighborhood in the Lombard area.

Hotel restaurant is very good value, as is the room service breakfast. And the health club/pool area is spotlessly clean, as are the public areas of the hotel.

Another innovative idea is the "quiet zone", where the hotel ensures that weekend wedding parties and screaming children aren't booked.

The company who manage this location also manage the Crowne Plaza at O'Hare airport, where I've stayed as well. These people know what they're doing!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thank you for the wonderful words and for continuing to choose our great hotel. We look forward to our return guests and enjoying their feedback.
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

The location of the hotel is odd - more of an industrial type of location. Near car dealership and some not so great restaurants and apartments. You have to drive a few miles to get to a decent restaurant (other than the hotel restaurant). Does not look like an area you'd want to walk around. But if you drive a few miles, you can get to tons of restaurants. Woodfield Mall was about 10-15 minutes away in traffic. Probably would take less time without traffic.
The rooms were very nice and spacious. We had a sitting area with a separate bedroom (with a door). We had a refrigerator, microwave and bar sink. Comfortable beds and nice furniture. Awesome very large walk in shower with 3 shower heads. Great bathroom. Plenty of room. The hotel is decorated in a boutique style. Modern and comfortable. They had a very nice indoor pool and gym. **My only issue is that it seems so new that there was still "new carpet smell". The smell/fumes irritated my lungs (I have asthma/reactive airways, so I am particularly sensitive to that). It was bad enough that it bothered my husband and son (who don't have breathing problems) too. We had to open the windows and keep them open the whole night. The temperature was in the 40s, and I hated to waste energy with open windows and a heater, but we had to. I would not have been able to sleep in the room otherwise. Once the windows were open for a while, I was fine. I think they need to air out the newly done rooms for a few days to get rid of the chemical/new carpet fumes. I would have rated the room "excellent" if not for the fumes.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
I'm glad you enjoyed your room, I too love the bathroom, the showers are great. I'm sorry the "new" carpet bothered you. I hope that next time you travel to the area you will give us another try.
Yuba City, CA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We were greeted by the friendly staff and a very clean hotel. The bed was great and the room was extra clean for a hotel room. My wife wipes all surfaces down with Chlorox wipes before we put away a thing and it came up clean... most unusual. We have bad allergies so clean is important to us.
The large indoor pool was wonderful for swimming laps and it too was clean. The exerecise room was again clean and the equipment all worked. Each floor had a special machine that made filtered water for drinking so one did not have to buy bottled water, we just refilled our empty bottles... very handy.
The rooms are quiet and the wi fi works well, although you get dropped about every hour.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Very beautifully redesigned place. Great restaurant and large rooms. Clean and pleasant. I love the soft tones of the walls, flat screen TVs, free Internet. They did a GREAT job with this remodel. All the staff I encountered were excellent.

Soundproofing is still needed, though. There's a sign up in the lobby requesting you not to slam doors... but even just shutting doors echo through the hall. The doors on the stairwells can be heard throughout the hallway.

There is a Quiet Zone floor. I'm a bit confused because a large group was booked up there. I stay at Crowne Plazas all the time and usually those floors are to be free of "marching bands, weddings, circus animals, etc" (quote from the Quiet Zone sign).

Overall a top notch place. If they could work on the soundproofing, it would be the best in the Western burbs...

Room Tip: Steer clear of the stairwell!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, Please know that when you return we would love to decide the "perfect" location in the hotel and make that your room of choice when you travel to our area. If we know where our guests prefer to be we can make notations in their profiles and whenever possible preblock the reservations to get our guests where they like to be. We have some that like to be up front by the elevator some like the inside halls, some like outside walls, back of the building etc. We strive to get everyone where they would like to be so please feel free to get in touch and we can make that happen for you on your next visit and each time after.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

My teenaged son and I were in Glen Ellyn for a weekend tournament and instead of driving the 45 minutes back to our home on the North Shore eight times during the course of the weekend, decided to stay put in Glen Ellyn. I researched several hotels and decided the Crowne Plaza sounded the best. It really was. Very modern styling but not "cold". Very comfortable rooms nicely decorated with almost any amenity needed. Great service and very helpful staff. Didn't end up using the pool or fitness room but it was nice to know they were there. Overall a relaxing excellent stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thanks you for the great review, Hopefully the next time your back to our area you will get to try the pool out. I think the pool is just beautiful. It is wonderful for a winter weekend getaway and we will certainly be offering weekend packages throughout the winter months.
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My wife and son and myself stayed here at the Crowne Plaza Glen Ellyn in August 2011 for 6 full days. First time to Illinois visiting family. Looking forward to site see in Chicago also. Drivning down Roosevelt Rd we drove right past the hotel. Small sign and the outside is very plain. But, once inside you are in for a surprise!!!!! Very clean and very spacious! Staff is very friendly and professional. Before our visit I contacted the General Manager Kim. I wanted to do something special for my wife for a belated b-day present. Kim was very helpful in planning this out. A bottle of champagne and very nice sized chocolate covered strawberries and also ballons!!! Not only was my wife surprised so was I!!! The room was very nice and the shower was awesome! Marble shower with 2 overhead shower heads. The indoor pool was great! I didn't take pictures but I wish I did. Very clean and big area. The pool is 9ft deep. That is rare to find in a hotel. Also, everyday Monday through Friday between like 5 pm and 7pm the have complementarybeer and wine and some sort of snack. That was so cool! Ordered breakfast for room service a few times. Great food, nice sized portions and professional staff delivering.
To sum it all up. We would and will definitely stay here again! You should stay here if you are going to be in the area!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
cpgel, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
I am so glad to hear that everyone enjoyed their stay with us. I am glad that the suite worked for your family and that your wife loved her bithday surprise. I love talking to our guests and helping to make their time with use perfect. Hopefully I will get to assist you again the next time your coming to our area.

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!