First to respond to earlier 2013 complaints.
1. the pool was dirty -- Not only was the water clean, but it was one of my favorite aspects of the visit. The depth to four feet was perfect for group water aerobics; whirlpool, steam and sauna in area; loaner bathing suits; shampoo, conditioner, body lotion in showers, etc. I spent a lot of down time floating in that heated pool with a noodle, totally relaxed.
2. "dated and unattractive" -- I would call it unpretentious and cozy. The Wood Room was a little dark for my taste, but the other common areas (Yoga Room, White Room and Dining Room) were light and cheerful.
3. one level of class workout -- "hard." -- In every class I took, the instructor worked at a personal level with everyone to make sure that each woman could participate comfortably.
4. "one key for the room door' -- My room mate and I each received a room key.
5. "cookie Nazi" -- There were snacks available 24/7. The food was delicious, and every attempt was made to accommodate personal preferences or requirements. There is a new cookbook available so that you can recreate your favorite dishes as home.
6. "cheap plastic lawn chairs" in the spa waiting area -- The only lawn chairs I saw were comfortable lounges and chairs, on the LAWN where they belonged, overlooking the large pond. I used them a couple of times for quiet reading.
This is a "niche" spa meant to appeal to a certain client. If you want glamor, look elsewhere. Their website and T shirts say it all: Nourish, Pamper, Thrive, Relax.
- Also Known As:
- The Heartland Spa & Fitness Hotel Gilman
- The Heartland Spa And Fitness Resort
- The Heartland Spa & Fitness Hotel
- The Heartland Hotel
- Heartland Hotel Gilman
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Heartland Spa, with its 32 acres of rolling pastures, woods, and spring-fed lake offers the tranquility of Midwest farm country. This destination spa with 29 years of experience in the wellness industry, is 90 miles south of Chicago. The Heartland Spa’s approach provides an unpretentious and nurturing environment and proudly accepts only 41 guests at one time. A two, three or five night package at The Heartland Spa offers Guests the opportunity to learn, experience, and utilize the most current information available regarding fitness, nutrition, and stress management. Our superb pampering treatments, tasty and nutritious menu complete the Spa’s program to make it the perfect vacation. ... more less